RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Religion

Religion - Dog is my copilot. My karma ran over your dogma

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
But if one is determined to dismiss anything regarding faith, any presentation will be viewed as arrogant.
Speaking as someone who will dismiss anything regarding faith, I disagree. I know religious people who will say words to the effect of 'this is what I believe , because I want to, and I won't explain or persuade because I can't'. That's about as non-arrogant as it gets.

On the other hand, stating things like the Bible is self validating is leaning in the opposite direction. That's implying that there is objective fact to be discovered if one only looks, but in that case, that's simply not true.
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2018, 11:21 PM

You may find this hard to believe but I really don’t mind covering old ground.
I have nothing to gain by telling you this but you seem to enjoy talking about something that should have no interest in the world to you.
Keep it up this is interesting to me.
Old 09-04-2018, 1:13 AM

One doesn't have to believe in something to find it interesting. I'm here for my amusement, nothing more. If I didn't get that, I wouldn't be here. I'll admit that there would be some satisfaction in getting someone such as yourself to admit that faith is entirely based on a premise with no evidence, but realistically, I don't actually expect that to happen.

I suspect you harbor similar hopes that I'll declare that Jesus is my Savior. But that's not going to happen, either.

We'll just continue to butt heads in the middle. It's all in fun...

Quote:
You may find this hard to believe but I really don’t mind covering old ground.
I have nothing to gain by telling you this but you seem to enjoy talking about something that should have no interest in the world to you.
Keep it up this is interesting to me.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 AM

It’s at least a good thing that we are civil about this.
Either side won’t win an argument without some level of civility.

Last edited by CrabbyMilton; 09-04-2018 at 10:54 AM..
Old 09-06-2018, 8:29 AM

Maybe the answer to the original thread title is the hardest pill to swallow...

If we accept that God is a supremely good, all-encompassing, non-material (spiritual) being, and we are created in his image, than that means we are also made of that solely - spiritual and not material at all.

BUT, as totally spiritual beings, we seem to be dreaming of a material reality, with it's own variable dream-like rules, both good and bad, and suffering from it, like falling to your death in a dream. But you wake to a different reality eventually.

The trick is that it is easy to intellectualize this, but quite a different thing to live it. Perhaps that's the real meaning of "turning the other cheek", is not so much for forgiveness, but acknowledgement that God can't create anything unlike himself (if so, you'd have multiple gods now), and ultimately the incident that needs forgiveness truly hasn't happened!

Easy to say stuff like this, and it raises some serious questions that seem impossible to wrap one's head around (all the seemingly bad, evil stuff in the world is what - not there?!?!?).

I probably should stop. I'm still living in this material dream apparently.
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2018, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton
We cannot by our own understanding or effort believe in God. Our human nature does not allow that.
But God is beautiful buddy......Religion is made up BS!! (Meant for control)
Old 09-28-2018, 7:06 AM

Many are turned off by organized religion.
Some of these divert from his word but not all by any stretch.
Old 09-28-2018, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Some of these divert from his word but not all by any stretch.
How do you tell the difference?
Old 09-28-2018, 2:34 PM

Look up the various denominations and many will list the differences in doctrine and practice.
Old 09-28-2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Look up the various denominations and many will list the differences in doctrine and practice.
You missed my point. They all claim to be the true word of God, but they're all different. They can't all be correct.

They are more likely to all be wrong.
Old 09-28-2018, 4:25 PM

Well that's your God given opinion ZZ.
Just because some denominations have different doctrinal approaches as well as practice, that doesn't mean they are wrong. That's an excuse not to study the differences. The church body I belong to doesn't have fellowship with too many other churches based on areas of scripture. That doesn't mean we think other churches are completely wrong.
Old 09-28-2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Well that's your God given opinion ZZ.
If I worshipped a god, she'd be ok with my opinion.

Quote:
Just because some denominations have different doctrinal approaches as well as practice, that doesn't mean they are wrong.
And conversely, it doesn't mean any of them are right.

There is only one truth about religion out there. None of us know what it is. If god exists, there is no objective evidence that would draw a completely neutral outside observer to that conclusion.

It gets down to faith, which is defined as a belief in something that had no supporting evidence. Invoking something as the true word of God that is either excluded or refuted by other religions can only mean that some or all of the religions are wrong in their determination as to what constitutes the true words of God.

Religion used to think comets predicted disaster, and epileptic seizures were the work of the devil. We now know what both are, and religion is in retreat. History is loaded with many such retreats, to the point that there just isn't much left.
Old 09-29-2018, 1:45 PM

Yes it does come down to faith and me and multitudes of others make no apology for it.
You are correct that there are many not just Christian religions based on anything that one can imagine.
Once again, the bible has many examples of God's work.
Just because the books were written long long ago doesn't mean the event never took place.
By that standard, George Washington was never president because his term was in the very distant past.
I'm not trying to disparage you ZZ but ask some 20 somethings and they have very limited knowledge of such things because one's historical perspective begins from the day we are born and many young people don't understand the world before they were born.
Old 09-29-2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Yes it does come down to faith and me and multitudes of others make no apology for it.
And that's as it should be.

Quote:
Just because the books were written long long ago doesn't mean the event never took place.
No, but the further in the past that the events happened, in relation to the time the books were written, the chances increase of getting it wrong. Many of the passages (most, all?) about Jesus, for example, were written hundreds of years after his death.

Nothing in the Bible was directly penned by God or Jesus. Nothing.

Quote:
By that standard, George Washington was never president because his term was in the very distant past.
It's not a valid comparison. Aside from the difference between about 2000 years, vs. about 200 years, the writings of Washington himself exist. You can look at paper he held in his hands and wrote. Many other such writings about him were written directly by his contemporaries, people who knew him. The belief in the existence of George Washington does not require faith in something that cannot be proven.

Quote:
I'm not trying to disparage you ZZ but ask some 20 somethings and they have very limited knowledge of such things because one's historical perspective begins from the day we are born and many young people don't understand the world before they were born.
I'm not sure where you're going with this thought. I was born in the late 50's, so I have no direct knowledge of the world before that. I know that WW2 and WW1 occurred. I know that the Civil War occurred. I know that the Romans and the Greeks existed. All of this is well documented by multiple sources, and by the people who were actually there first hand.

I don't know that Jesus existed because there is no contemporary writings made in the times he was said to exist. That all came later.

Do you see what I mean there?
Old 10-23-2018, 8:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
But God is beautiful buddy......Religion is made up BS!! (Meant for control)
Amen

Oh yeah just for general information

Allah is arabic for God
Allah is God and God is Allah.
I know not a popular thing to say but true as Both islam and Judaism believe in the one God of Abraham.