RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Religion


Religion - Dog is my copilot. My karma ran over your dogma

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 519
Default Why are Atheists on a RELIGION forum?

If you don't even HAVE a religion, so why would anyone care what you think?

You obviously know nothing about the subject.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 516
Default

Exactly. If they are so confident that there is no God, then why are they so upset about it?
Perhaps very deep down they know they are wrong. I won't even try to get in the head of an atheist but that's the only reason that makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 10:16 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
Exactly. If they are so confident that there is no God, then why are they so upset about it?
Perhaps very deep down they know they are wrong. I won't even try to get in the head of an atheist but that's the only reason that makes sense.
I believe you're right. But to put a bit of a spin on it, I think that people aren't so opposed to the idea of there being a god but that if there is, then there is someone to whom they are now held accountable. I think that's where the real problem lines.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 7:07 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 175 DME, HEC 358° Radial
Posts: 5,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTEX View Post
If you don't even HAVE a religion, so why would anyone care what you think?

You obviously know nothing about the subject.
Many atheists come from a religious background, and are very knowledgeable about the subject. Belief or lack of should be one's personal business. But when religion gets inserted into what should be secular government, then atheists have as much right to be heard as anyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 8:10 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 958
Default

I didn't think he was stating that atheists shouldn't have a say in the topic. (though I'm not speaking for the OP), I suspect it was more of a question of curiosity. While far from an atheist myself, I've always wondered why someone who doesn't believe in God would have any interest in the topic or see a reason to waste time with a discussion on the topic. One analogy that comes to mind is that of Santa Claus. I never see the same opposition to the idea of a Santa Claus as I do to that of a God from non-believers in either camp. Santa Claus seems to be a non issue while the topic of God can result in some pretty emotional and sometimes vicious responses.

Mind you, I'm not trying to stir things up. Though I don't agree with your (yes, I'm assuming) assessment that there is no God, I have no trouble respecting it. To be honest, badgering or belittling someone who is a non-believer is counterproductive and just give us believers a bad name.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 9:48 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 175 DME, HEC 358° Radial
Posts: 5,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
While far from an atheist myself, I've always wondered why someone who doesn't believe in God would have any interest in the topic or see a reason to waste time with a discussion on the topic.
That's easy. It's a fascinating subject, and for those with the intellect to discuss diverging points of view, it can be a lot of fun.

One doesn't have to believe in something to find it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
One analogy that comes to mind is that of Santa Claus. I never see the same opposition to the idea of a Santa Claus as I do to that of a God from non-believers in either camp. Santa Claus seems to be a non issue while the topic of God can result in some pretty emotional and sometimes vicious responses.
Santa Claus isn't invoked in arguments used to deny women access to health services. You don't hear people call out "Santa Akbar!" before opening fire on a Mosque full of people praying. And no one has ever said "Kill 'em all, let Santa sort 'em out.

I think you get my point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
Mind you, I'm not trying to stir things up. Though I don't agree with your (yes, I'm assuming) assessment that there is no God, I have no trouble respecting it.
Nor do I disrespect your belief in God.

Where I draw the line and bristle is the idea that someone else's belief in God will impact laws that I am subject to.

That offends me, every bit as much as enacting Sharia law would offend a Christian. It's absolutely no different.

As has been previously stated by some smart person somewhere, for a believer, no proof is necessary, for a skeptic, no proof is possible. There is no proof of God's existence, in spite of what religious people will state. Everything that is observed in the universe is understood and explainable with mathematics. Right back to the big bang. Viable and plausible explanations for everything exist without the need for a God to set it in motion. This is why you see so many atheists in academia and the sciences.

Having said all that, my point is, science is true whether or not you believe it. Unlike religions, which frequently are at odds with each other, science doesn't care if you believe. You MUST follow it's laws... period.

Atheists generally believe laws should be based on science, not religion. Otherwise, we don't mind whatever you want to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
To be honest, badgering or belittling someone who is a non-believer is counterproductive and just give us believers a bad name.
It wastes your time, and it annoys the atheist.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2018, 3:38 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTEX View Post
If you don't even HAVE a religion, so why would anyone care what you think?

You obviously know nothing about the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
Exactly. If they are so confident that there is no God, then why are they so upset about it?
Perhaps very deep down they know they are wrong. I won't even try to get in the head of an atheist but that's the only reason that makes sense.
Frankly, you're both idiots and not worth anyone's precious time.

ZZ has laid out the reasons quite clearly, no need for me to repeat it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post

Nor do I disrespect your belief in God.

Where I draw the line and bristle is the idea that someone else's belief in God will impact laws that I am subject to.

That offends me, every bit as much as enacting Sharia law would offend a Christian. It's absolutely no different.


.
What if you took the words "in God" out of your sentence above? What would your opinion be then? Despite our different differing belief in God, I'm sure we still have a good deal in common in what we believe to be right and wrong. Same goes with most people I suspect. I believe that most people have an inherent sense of societal morality (some of it instinctive, some is learned)

If I were to say that something is wrong, many might say "cool, I understand and agree with you" If I said I believed that the same "something is wrong" because God says so, some of those same people who would have agreed with my previous statement, all of a sudden their feathers get ruffled. It isn't necessarily the content but the source that ruffles feathers.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicerwizard View Post
Frankly, you're both idiots and not worth anyone's precious time.

ZZ has laid out the reasons quite clearly, no need for me to repeat it.
You just invalidate your sides argument because our belief in God by talking that way.
But then again if we're not worth your time, why respond?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2018, 2:12 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
You just invalidate your sides argument because our belief in God by talking that way.
My dog, man - learn yourself some proper English writing skills.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2018, 2:57 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 516
Default

Not only is the person a sad atheist but also a liberal. Perhaps even an English professor since he or she acts like a snob and the subject wasn't even addressed. When they find they can't win the argument on merit, they knit pick to make themselves feel they accomplished something.
Keep it up please. Liberals get funny when challenged.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,663
Default

Buddy, you haven't said a single thing worth responding to. Except maybe "knit pick" - why are you dragging knitting into a religion thread?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2018, 5:46 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 516
Default

But you responded anyway.
Knitting, thread. I like that.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 175 DME, HEC 358° Radial
Posts: 5,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
What if you took the words "in God" out of your sentence above? What would your opinion be then? Despite our different differing belief in God, I'm sure we still have a good deal in common in what we believe to be right and wrong.
Take the word "God" out of it, and perhaps the need for the conversation ceases to exist. My objection is simply that people use religious beliefs to base law upon, but for those who don't follow that particular religion, the "moral authority" to create law doesn't exist.

Take my Sharia law example... Do YOU want to have to practice it?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 175 DME, HEC 358° Radial
Posts: 5,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
Not only is the person a sad atheist...
Is such a thing even possible? Not being forced to believe in something that makes no sense, just because you're told to, is a form of freedom that you'll never comprehend. There's nothing sad about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
...but also a liberal.
A dirty word here on RR, apparently. Are you sure you're even allowed to say it out loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
Perhaps even an English professor since he or she acts like a snob...
Or perhaps someone who just paid attention in English classes. But since you mentioned it, are English professors snobs? I'll have to ask. I have a dear friend who's a retired English professor. She has a delightful sense of humor, but snobbish? Maybe just not to me. She'll find the question hilarious, then in mock seriousness say 'yes, yes they are all snobs'.

What a ridiculous statement to make. You wear your ignorance on your sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
Keep it up please. Liberals get funny when challenged.
And conservatives just get stupid.

Last edited by zz0468; 02-03-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 516
Default

I'm sure your friend is a wonderful person but you have to remember that extremism is what define things.
Nobody forces me to believe in God but I have my beliefs based on faith and that is something I will not back down on.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 175 DME, HEC 358° Radial
Posts: 5,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
...but you have to remember that extremism is what define things.
I disagree. A religion shouldn't be defined by it's extremes. I realize that people such as yourself define Islam by it's extremes, so how would you feel about, say, David Koresh and the Waco, TX incident being used to define Christianity?

Seems fair to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
.Nobody forces me to believe in God but I have my beliefs based on faith and that is something I will not back down on.
No one is begrudging you your faith. The problem starts when you use your faith to impose laws upon me and my faith.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2018, 4:16 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 516
Default

Believe me, when people use the name of my Lord and savior to carry out such things, I take it very personally and distance myself form that. That goes for anyone who preaches the word in error and despises any correction. I make full disclosure that I'm a LUTHERAN and specifically, a WELS lutheran.
We are not in fellowship with most other LUTHERANS and not in fellowship with other Christian denominations. We've been accused of being intolerant. We don't question or condemn other denominations. We just do our best to follow scripture based on our faith. Are we perfect and better than others? 1000 times NO. We try to address others concerns the best we can.
That's where I come from from my faith.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2018, 5:17 PM
Jimru's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Henrico County, VA
Posts: 1,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTEX View Post
If you don't even HAVE a religion, so why would anyone care what you think?



You obviously know nothing about the subject.

Many atheists I have known, in fact, grew up in very strict religious settings (of all persuasions), often that is why they end up as atheists!

This is true throughout our society and around the world. Don’t assume that atheists don’t know what they are talking about. Many can qoute chapter and verse of their, and other, religions.

In my case, both of my parental units were total atheists, but I and my two brothers are spiritual, although only one of us subscribes to an organized religion.

Life is funny that way, ain’t it?
__________________
Addicted to all things radio for nearly 50 years, and proud of it!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2018, 5:19 PM
Jimru's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Henrico County, VA
Posts: 1,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
Many atheists come from a religious background, and are very knowledgeable about the subject. Belief or lack of should be one's personal business. But when religion gets inserted into what should be secular government, then atheists have as much right to be heard as anyone else.

Can I get an “amen”?!
__________________
Addicted to all things radio for nearly 50 years, and proud of it!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions