Warwick Fire Dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAntiDigital

I still hear Warwick FD main dispatch on 154.31 as well as West Warwick FD on 154.43 and Cranston on 154.01 mhz. I was under the impression that they were all supposed to go over to that digital system.

Somebody also told me that North Providence FD still uses 154.25 mhz.

Are these facts or was I just fantasizing.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Those three haven't transitioned. Not sure if they are or aren't None of those three cities have moved their Police to RISCON either, although Cranston occasionally shows up on RISCON.

North Providence Fire is on RISCON, but simulcasts the TRS main TG on their old 154.2500 / 167.9 frequency.

MrAntiDigital

Those three haven't transitioned. Not sure if they are or aren't None of those three cities have moved their Police to RISCON either, although Cranston occasionally shows up on RISCON.

North Providence Fire is on RISCON, but simulcasts the TRS main TG on their old 154.2500 / 167.9 frequency.

Thank you very much for that information. I had pretty much given up on one of my favorite areas (Providence and surrounding towns) when they went to digital. But recently on a trip to Green Airport, I noticed some places were still transmitting on their older high band channels. "THAT MADE MY DAY".

So when I got home, 50 miles away, I tried a few and they worked. So I will be making a few trips up there to Roger Williams Park and enjoy the music from my scanner. I used to do that all the time. I do have a digital scanner that I listen to for Providence FD/PD but I'm not too happy about the reception I get despite my 800 band mobile antenna. And I certainly can't pick them up 50 miles away any more. A huge loss to me as a hobby. (You can't believe how great they would come in then on 154.37, - those 50 miles away). I sure miss that.

"w1kne", I thank you for that info. Other favorites of mine were East Providence, Pawtucket, Central Falls, and Johnston., Is there any chance that they might be broadcasting on their older frequencies of high or ultrahigh bands ? I guess there's no chance for Providence though - right !! How about intercity police (158.97) and intercity fire (154.28).

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate that.

coolrich55

Thank you. I get so wrapped up I forgot all about the data base. But just help me out here, of Providence and all their surrounding towns, Providence is the only one that is totally digital and does not simulcast on the old channel. Am I right about that ?

Providence is not the only city in RI that is totally digital. There are plenty of cities and towns that don't simulcast to their old frequencies.

MrAntiDigital

Providence is not the only city in RI that is totally digital. There are plenty of cities and towns that don't simulcast to their old frequencies.

Thank you.

I am very happy that in my own selfish case, the departments that I "DO" listen to,,all except for Providence, do simulcast on their old frequencies.

Thanks to the online service provided on this site I am able to listen to my favorite that apparently does not simulcast,,that is; Providence Fire. It's been one of my favorites for a very long time. And it was the sole purpose that I had to cough up about $500.00 to buy a portable digital scanner.

I was wondering however, after going to a statewide digital radio system, what is the reason that many Rhode Island (as well as many other places) still simulcast on their old frequencies ? Same with many Connecticut places also. I'm sure there's somebody who might be able to help with that question.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
reason to keep an analog simulcast is usually for paging purposes. Most departments alert via minitor pagers and to issue trunking radios to everyone in some areas is cost prohibitive.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I was wondering however, after going to a statewide digital radio system, what is the reason that many Rhode Island (as well as many other places) still simulcast on their old frequencies ? Same with many Connecticut places also. I'm sure there's somebody who might be able to help with that question.

There are no P25 pagers, no 800mhz pagers, no trunked pagers ... much less a P25 800 trunked pager ... so departments need their conventional analog frequencies to tone out Fire and EMS. Any department that needs to page needs to have an analog channel.

Waterford CT for example is on an 800 P25 trunked system but maintains 33.94 for their pagers as a simulcast of the dispatch.

RAGALLO

Warwick fire is now calling for truckas to turn rerpeaters on. I am assuming that means there are use digital for some communications . I think it may be tactical talk groups. Anyone know talk group ID?

coolrich55

Warwick fire is now calling for truckas to turn rerpeaters on. I am assuming that means there are use digital for some communications . I think it may be tactical talk groups. Anyone know talk group ID?

I don't think it's anything to do with digital. I've heard them say turn on your repeater for some time now. Actually digital would be the last thing they would use for fireground. On another note I've heard Cranston test on the 800 mhz daily but never actually heard them use it on a call.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I don't think it's anything to do with digital. I've heard them say turn on your repeater for some time now. Actually digital would be the last thing they would use for fireground. On another note I've heard Cranston test on the 800 mhz daily but never actually heard them use it on a call.

A number of Fire Departments use 800 P25 for fire ground, most on RISCON use 800 trunked P25 for fire ground. New London CT has two simplex 800 channels for fireground, both are P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.