Type II

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

Am I confusing Motorola Type II Smartnet with Phase II? Are they two separate issues?

Motorola Type II Smartnet is generally an analog trunking system that has been around for many years. I say "generally" since there's an option that will allow digital operation over the system, but it works the same as analog with only the voice channels transmitted in digital form if the radios allow it.

Phase II is a digital P-25 system that splits each channel into two digital paths by time slicing the main channel. This is totally different from the old Type II system technology.

Some links to the RR Wiki that may help:
Type II Smartnet - http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Motorola_Type_II_Smartnet
Digital over Type II (well, one option to do so anyway) - http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/P25_CAI
P-25 (discusses Phase I and Phase II) - http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/APCO_Project_25

Last edited:

frankie811

Motorola Type II Smartnet is generally an analog trunking system that has been around for many years. I say "generally" since there's an option that will allow digital operation over the system, but it works the same as analog with only the voice channels transmitted in digital form if the radios allow it.

Phase II is a digital P-25 system that splits each channel into two digital paths by time slicing the main channel. This is totally different from the old Type II system technology.

Some links to the RR Wiki that may help:
Type II Smartnet - Motorola Type II Smartnet - The RadioReference Wiki
Digital over Type II (well, one option to do so anyway) - P25 CAI - The RadioReference Wiki
P-25 (discusses Phase I and Phase II) - APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

So I would be correct in assuming that my Uniden 996XT cannot receive Phase II P-25?

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
That would figure. I haven't even opened the box on my new Uniden 996XT and already it's obsolete. :)

Obsolete for what, though?

RISCON is a P25 PH I system. I can monitor it fine. In fact I can usually hear it here in Quincy, MA on my 396XT.

coolrich55

Obsolete for what, though?

RISCON is a P25 PH I system. I can monitor it fine. In fact I can usually hear it here in Quincy, MA on my 396XT.

All the way from Quincy? What type of antenna are you using? I live a few miles from the RI border in CT and can't get anything from the system with my rs 800 antenna.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Correct. I have the RS equiv. to the Scan-Tenna, all band with a 396XT. Honestly, I think it's just a good terrain opening here. WX does play a role and I have some times when I can't receive it, but not often.

North Zone only, however. I also have the antenna at 60' AGL too. (I am on the 6th floor of this building)

Status
Not open for further replies.