RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Rhode Island Radio Discussion Forum


Rhode Island Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Rhode Island.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2018, 5:49 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Warwick, RI
Posts: 4
Default P25

Trying to upgrade my scanner to pick up Warwick and Providence. Got a good deal on a Whistler 1040, but only if I can get it working. Downloaded Win500, still issues. Read where RI uses P25 phase I but in other places I read phase II, could that be my issue.

Thanks Marty
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2018, 5:55 PM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nomad (Thanks Florence!)
Posts: 9,960
Default

Looks like conventional P25 and Phase 1 P25 -- law seems to be using alot of encryption but some law dispatch is not marked encrypted...

Fire seems to be in the clear...

The state system has 3 sites... you might want to try to scan all three sites if they are in range.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4275

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2309
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM
garys's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern MA
Posts: 4,263
Default

The RISCON system is all P25 Phase 1. Some LE channels are encrypted, but many are clear. RISP was clear last time I listened, which was a few months ago. Providence PD is clear on channel 1, but the others are encrypted.

Pawtucket was still on UHF P25 clear the last time I listened.

Check the DB here and the Wiki at Scan-ne.net for specific frequencies and talk groups.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2018, 8:53 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Warwick, RI
Posts: 4
Default P25 What am i missing

I am good with conventional channels, looking to pick up Warwick and Maybe Providence fire. I got a good deal on a Whistler 1040, I think I have the Trunking set up right but do not receive anything. Someone said that RI uses something called DMR and NXDN and the 1040 will not work. Is the problem me or did I get the wrong scanner.

Thanks Again
Marty
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2018, 9:11 PM
garys's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern MA
Posts: 4,263
Default

"Someone" is wrong. The statewide RISCON system is APCO P25. There are private ambulance services in RI that use either DMR or NXDN, but that has nothing to do with what you are trying to receive.

In Warwick, you should be able to hear all three simulcast sites. I think that the Providence site is mostly for Providence public safety, but others have some degree of access.

I think the problem is with the set up. The 1040 is pretty much the same as the GRE PSR500 or the Radio Shack version. I found the Object Oriented Scanning difficult to figure out at first, but it's versatile once you understand it.

Are you using software to program it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martya115 View Post
I am good with conventional channels, looking to pick up Warwick and Maybe Providence fire. I got a good deal on a Whistler 1040, I think I have the Trunking set up right but do not receive anything. Someone said that RI uses something called DMR and NXDN and the 1040 will not work. Is the problem me or did I get the wrong scanner.

Thanks Again
Marty
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2018, 6:26 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,713
Default

Keep in-mind RISCON is a Simulcast Network and experimentation with
Antenna, Type, Size, Location is critical [much experimentation] is needed for the best Scanner Reception


Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Looks like conventional P25 and Phase 1 P25 -- law seems to be using alot of encryption but some law dispatch is not marked encrypted...

Fire seems to be in the clear...

The state system has 3 sites... you might want to try to scan all three sites if they are in range.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4275

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2309
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2018, 7:48 PM
w1kne's Avatar
NewEngland DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martya115 View Post
I am good with conventional channels, looking to pick up Warwick and Maybe Providence fire. I got a good deal on a Whistler 1040, I think I have the Trunking set up right but do not receive anything. Someone said that RI uses something called DMR and NXDN and the 1040 will not work. Is the problem me or did I get the wrong scanner.

Thanks Again
Marty
Warwick PD are conventional analog, same with Warwick Fire.

Providence Fire is on the RISCON Providence Zone (Zone 3). In the clear. P25 Phase 1.
__________________
Mike Fitzpatrick
Southern New England DB Administrator
Broadcast Transmission/RF Engineer
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2018, 8:58 PM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Warwick, RI
Posts: 4
Default

My impression is that Warwick Fire switched to Riscon, at least they seemed to have disappeared from their regular frequency.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2018, 9:11 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: connecticut
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martya115 View Post
My impression is that Warwick Fire switched to Riscon, at least they seemed to have disappeared from their regular frequency.
Try 153.770. Last I knew the FD was on the RISCON system but being simulcast to that freq.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 9:10 AM
Newbie
   
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Warwick, RI
Posts: 4
Default

Still have issues with Riscon and trunking. I signed up for Radio Reference, downloaded WIN500 and let that do the programming. Tried using different sites, picking talkgroups and also wildcards, absolutely nothing. I do not live in a dead zone, I can pick up departments and trucks from 25 miles away while in the cellar with no issues. Starting to believe I got a defective scanner, Possible, conventional channels are coming in.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 9:41 AM
ecps92's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 9,713
Default

Picking up Conventional Freq users and Analog TRS users is not the same as a P25 [Digital] Simulcast System. So you could be in a DEAD Zone for the Simulcast TRS, but still hear the conventional stuff fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Martya115 View Post
Still have issues with Riscon and trunking. I signed up for Radio Reference, downloaded WIN500 and let that do the programming. Tried using different sites, picking talkgroups and also wildcards, absolutely nothing. I do not live in a dead zone, I can pick up departments and trucks from 25 miles away while in the cellar with no issues. Starting to believe I got a defective scanner, Possible, conventional channels are coming in.
__________________
Bill N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://www.scanmaritime.com
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 4:23 PM
w1kne's Avatar
NewEngland DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
The 1040 is pretty much the same as the GRE PSR500 or the Radio Shack version. I found the Object Oriented Scanning difficult to figure out at first, but it's versatile once you understand it.
If that's the case, good luck with it. We had a PSR600 at channel 12 when I was there, and couldn't receive RISCON for crap. No matter how much I made adjustments to the system, antenna, etc. I swapped out the scanner with a Uniden 996XT, on the very same roof antenna the 600 had, and boom. It came in like a local. The facility in East Providence is adjacent to a cell tower, and I assumed (and still do) that the issue was overload and the 600 did a poor job of rejecting it. Not sure your proximity to a cell tower, but it could be the case.
__________________
Mike Fitzpatrick
Southern New England DB Administrator
Broadcast Transmission/RF Engineer
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2018, 6:25 PM
w1kne's Avatar
NewEngland DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 532
Default

Warwick Fire operations are simulcast on 153.7700 PL 103.5. Confirmed it tonight
__________________
Mike Fitzpatrick
Southern New England DB Administrator
Broadcast Transmission/RF Engineer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions