RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > Sacramento Valley Area Discussion

Sacramento Valley Area Discussion Local area specific discussion for Sacramento County and its outlying areas such as San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 9:56 PM

Default Sacramento Scanning Non-Trunked

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased my son a scanner and he lives in the Sacramento Area (Folsom). I notice that most of the city and county are on a trunked system, his scanner however is a BC72XLT and won't scan trunked. I was wondering if there was any good non-trunked systems in Sacramento for Fire, EMS or Law?

I see that there is a Simulcast of Fire Dispatch A and B but since I'm not in the area I don't know what type of traffic those have or what other freqs are out there.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2009, 2:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You are correct, most everything in Sacramento is trunked but I will put together a list of some non-trunked stuff and PM it to you.
Old 05-13-2009, 7:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Welcome to RR. It really depends on what you want to hear.

CAL FIRE, CHP, State Parks and tons of other things are not trunked. Basically, what is trunked is Sacramento city & county agencies, law enforcement and fire tacticals. Galt PD is the lone holdout for not being on the TRS (so far).

While Folsom PD is on the TRS, Placer & El Dorado sheriff departments are conventional. While Sac Metro fire tacticals are on the TRS, you can receive the dispatch on VHF channels, and 'outer' areas do not always use a TRS tac. They might use White Fire or a CAL FIRE tac.

So like I said, it really depends on EXACTLY what you want to monitor.
Old 05-14-2009, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclam View Post
While Sac Metro fire tacticals are on the TRS, you can receive the dispatch on VHF channels, and 'outer' areas do not always use a TRS tac. They might use White Fire or a CAL FIRE tac.
Dont forget Direct 15, and Direct 16.

Cal Fire Freqs (white fires), would only be used when cdf is on an active incident providing mutual aid to the county. Such as on the Jackson Fire last June.
Old 05-15-2009, 2:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanusb View Post
Cal Fire Freqs (white fires), would only be used when cdf is on an active incident providing mutual aid to the county. Such as on the Jackson Fire last June.
I made the point of OUTER areas; meaning that fire from Sacramento county would be working with another agency. I heard a call dispatched just last week that was assigned Cal Fire Tac 5 as the tactical. White fire channels are also commonly assigned, depending on the agency/agencies which will be working together.

One more thing though; fire tacticals on the TRS can be picked up if you are receiving the TRS. Other fire tactical channels are usually simplex and you have to be fairly close to pick them up.

Bottom line, there is a lot of non trunked stuff to listen to in this area.

Old 05-15-2009, 9:17 AM

I know, i wasnt harping on you. i what just pointing out that he would be wasting his time if he was to be just sitting on those channels listening for sac county related traffic.
Old 05-15-2009, 9:06 PM

How close do you have to be to hear the white channels? I was in Roseville a few months ago and tried to listen to an incident assigned to White 3. I never heard anything. I'm assuming I should have been within a mile of the fire?
Old 05-15-2009, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWtoSFO View Post
How close do you have to be to hear the white channels? I was in Roseville a few months ago and tried to listen to an incident assigned to White 3. I never heard anything. I'm assuming I should have been within a mile of the fire?
yes, you have to be within a good range to hear any of CDF's freqs. they are all simplex, and some are repeated. ( i am not sure which) However i am able to hear the main dispatch channels down here in elk grove. most of the fire tacs are all simplex, and if your lucky you can hear the aircraft talking to the ground crews but nothing else.