RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > Sacramento Valley Area Discussion

Sacramento Valley Area Discussion Local area specific discussion for Sacramento County and its outlying areas such as San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 1:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Stanislaus National Forest - Sonora

Does anyone have the PL/Tones for the following SNF Freq:
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2013, 2:11 PM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Re: Stanislaus National Forest - Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayx View Post
I don't think there is any on the outputs for SNF
Old 04-02-2013, 3:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Some NF's don't use PL Tones on the output, only on the input.

I would say enable Tone Search to validate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayx View Post
Old 04-02-2013, 3:25 PM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Re: Stanislaus National Forest - Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92 View Post
Some NF's don't use PL Tones on the output, only on the input.

I would say enable Tone Search to validate that.
The DB doesnt list any. I was pretty good at keeping those updated. if there isnt one listed they most likely dont have any, or there are multiple tones for different repeaters.
Old 04-02-2013, 6:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

ecps92 and KMA are correct, no tone on the receive . Each NF has about 8-13 repeater tones they use for Tx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2013, 6:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364944501.306207.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  101.6 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364944511.967450.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  92.8 KB

Old 04-02-2013, 6:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Anyone have a channel plan [outside of CAL FIRE] to create a Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyphoto23 View Post
ecps92 and KMA are correct, no tone on the receive . Each NF has about 8-13 repeater tones they use for Tx.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Most National Forests have a tone on the output. Some use the input tone on the repeater output. The Sierra National Forest uses a different set of tones on the output, with each being unique to one repeater. The Angeles, San Bernardino and Cleveland National Forests use 103.5 on the outputs of all their repeaters. This is done because of interference from Mexico. I'm not sure how many might be putting the input tone on the output. Forests with UHF linked repeaters and a single remote base use these tones to identify which repeater it is receiving enabling the dispatchers screen to display a flashing light on the box of that repeater.

The Forest Service, NPS and BLM do not publish their output tones on official frequency guides. Channel plans produced by individual forests may not reflect it either. When I was working for the Forest Service our radio tech on the Inyo did not program the 103.5 tone on the southern California forest's frequencies. It was pretty tough trying to listen to those forests when I traveled down there for a fire. The interference from Mexico was almost continuous.

Started out as a "donnowhatiwannabe," moved on to a "wannabe," became "abe" and now I'm a "wasabe."
Old 04-09-2013, 6:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I live within reception distance of the forest and I monitor them from time to time. I can tell you that they do use tones, based on both seeing the tone displayed on the scanner (I have it set on CTCSS search) and hearing the units say what tone they are using. For example, a law enforcement ranger transmission will sound like this: "Stanislaus, Edaward-4, Admin, tone 10."

I will have to take note of the specific tones used and post any that I find. But for best results, I would suggest that you monitor them in CSQ mode.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2013, 8:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1typeSH View Post
I live within reception distance of the forest and I monitor them from time to time. I can tell you that they do use tones, based on both seeing the tone displayed on the scanner (I have it set on CTCSS search) and hearing the units say what tone they are using. For example, a law enforcement ranger transmission will sound like this: "Stanislaus, Edaward-4, Admin, tone 10."

I will have to take note of the specific tones used and post any that I find. But for best results, I would suggest that you monitor them in CSQ mode.
I have a vexing interference problem at my house on the output frequency of the Inyo National Forest's north net repeater output. I solved it by using CTCSS squelch for each repeater I can receive and have a separate channel for each repeater. Away from my house I use CTCSS search and can tell right away what repeater is being used.

It has been quite some time since I've monitored a National Forest or National Park without a tone on the output. Yosemite and Death Valley use the input tone on the output. Sequoia-Kings used them also, but since they put the backcountry net on digital I haven't been able to receive it well enough to see if there is a common or repeater by repeater NAC on it.

Started out as a "donnowhatiwannabe," moved on to a "wannabe," became "abe" and now I'm a "wasabe."
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post
I have a vexing interference problem at my house on the output frequency of the Inyo National Forest's north net repeater output. I solved it by using CTCSS squelch for each repeater I can receive and have a separate channel for each repeater. Away from my house I use CTCSS search and can tell right away what repeater is being used.

It has been quite some time since I've monitored a National Forest or National Park without a tone on the output. Yosemite and Death Valley use the input tone on the output. Sequoia-Kings used them also, but since they put the backcountry net on digital I haven't been able to receive it well enough to see if there is a common or repeater by repeater NAC on it.
I agree with you Exsmokey, all the federal resource agencies I monitor in this area (USFS, NPS, BLM) use a tone for the repeater output as well. However, I have noticed that sometimes there will be no output tone on the Stanislaus Forest net when two units are going "car-to-car". I'm not sure what the reason for this is, since they still appear to be using a repeater. I monitor in CTCSS search mode so I can pick up any tone(s) that they may use.

As for the output tones I have heard used on the forest, I have heard the following:
"Tone 2" 123.0
"Tone 7" 167.9
"Tone 9" 100.0

These tones correspond with the 16 common tones found here:
United States Forest Service Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

There could be more in use, but I may not be within reception range of some of the repeaters using them.
Old 05-31-2013, 8:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am heading up to Monache Meadows in 2 weeks and looking for ranger radio freqs to listen to while in the area. Also looking for 2 meter stuff for the same area. Even a repeater site I could Google in the area. Any help would be great.