RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > San Diego Metro Area Discussion

San Diego Metro Area Discussion Local area specific discussion for San Diego and Imperial Counties.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default The curious sound of 864.0500 (SD City TRS)

LCN #522 at 864.050 MHz on the San Diego City TRS has a sound unlike the other frequencies.

In the background of every call assigned to this channel there is a strong whistling/warbling signal. I've heard it on my Uniden, and on Mot radios as well.

I thought it might be interference, but there is a predictable 'data' sound to the whistle that changes near the end of the call. I could be fooling myself.

The sound is not subtle, and the same radios on different channels don't exhibit it.

Any ideas what this is from?
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hmm.. I should probably just start by asking: "Does anyone else hear this?"

If not, it's something about my locale or listening equipment.
Old 08-02-2011, 9:56 AM
California DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I monitored it last night and it sounded the same as all the other voice frequencies, so it may be local interference.
Old 08-02-2011, 1:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Good info! Thanks inigo88.. I'll do more sniffing around. I'm starting to think the 'data' sound comes from the subaudible tones at the end of the voice transmission somehow mixing with my local interference.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

There's always subaudible data ("lowspeed") during a trunked analog call in this situation. If it disappears the call will drop. Then there's the specific disconnect tone/word at the end.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I did some exploring and found that this whistle is somehow caused by an NVidia graphics card, even a hundred feet away. It's entirely local.

My guess is that the graphics card is putting out a CW at close to this frequency, and it 'beats' with the signal in such a way as to make the subaudible data audible. You can see that RF is voodoo to me, and this is clearly outside my ken, but at least I know the source.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I like threads that come to closure, so I thought I'd correct my own misinformation here.

I borrowed a fine Anritsu spectrum analyzer and went hunting for the source and nature of this signal a bit more. I was wrong to blame the NVidia card.. the source of my particular spur is (with certainty), a Plantronics Audio 630M USB conferencing headset. This little bugger has a small ferrite choke near the USB connector, but puts out an incredibly strong unmodulated (22 Hz wide) signal that starts around 910MHz at power-up and drifts down to 864.053400 MHz as it warms up. It's temperature dependent.

I read about -40dBm off just a Radio Shack scanner antenna.

Disabling the (Windows) device driver does not stop the signal.

Just goes to show, you never know what gadget brings in a hidden splinter for radio listening.