CHP San Diego Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
Am I missing anything? I know there is also Blue (42.34), Blue 2 Border Division Wide East (Planned) (44.98), Blue 2 Border Division Wide West (Planned) (39.24) , and TAC 04 (39.92) but I don't have them programmed. All these different blues and PL tones confuse me. What do you have for CHP? Is Blue 1 even used? Should I remove Blue 1 and put in Blue instead? When is TAC 04 used? I've tried listening but theres so little traffic on the blues that its hard for me to figure it out. I am only interested in traffic accidents and pursuits.

Department of the Highway Patrol (CHP) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I currently have the following programmed:

CHP BLUE 1-----39.14----FM---CTCSS---162.2
CHP GOLD-------39.60----FM---CTCSS---162.2
CHP ORANGE-----39.40----FM---CTCSS---162.2
CHP TAN--------39.80----FM---CTCSS---162.2

Also, I know the Gold is almost never used.. I have it just cause.

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Stringer619; _..._ I currently have the following programmed: [FONT=courier said:
CHP BLUE 1-----39.14----FM---CTCSS---162.2
CHP GOLD-------39.60----FM---CTCSS---162.2
CHP ORANGE-----39.40----FM---CTCSS---162.2
CHP TAN--------39.80----FM---CTCSS---162.2[/FONT]

Also, I know the Gold is almost never used.. I have it just cause.

Your list is correct for San Diego County.
The 'original' Blue (42.34) is in use in Imperial County (El Centro dispatch).

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
So all the other "blues" are unneccessary or unused? And what about the TAC 04? All the pursuits I've heard, other than on the RCS, have been on the Orange or Tan, so when would the TAC 04 (which is labeled as "Base - TAC 4 (Border Area)") or any other channels be used?

When I hear "switch to the blue", they referring to Blue-1 and not Blue?

Orange (San Diego) and Tan (Oceanside / Temecula) are good for their respective areas, but I just feel like I'm missing out on something.

And if 42.34 is El Centro Dispatch, then why does the database list it as Border Division (which I translate as "San Diego"?).

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
So all the other "blues" are unneccessary or unused? And what about the TAC 04? All the pursuits I've heard, other than on the RCS, have been on the Orange or Tan, so when would the TAC 04 (which is labeled as "Base - TAC 4 (Border Area)") or any other channels be used?

The CHP is completing a lengthy reconfiguration of their low-band radio system. There are now multiple "Blue" channels, assigned by Dispatch Center. As best as I've been able to figure, only the "BLUE" (42.34) and "BLUE-1" (39.14) channel naming conventions are consistent statewide. An area of the state assigned another channel pair for their secondary use will have the channel named BLUE-2 or BLUE-3 [such as "Blue 2 Border Division Wide East (Planned) (44.98), Blue 2 Border Division Wide West (Planned) (39.24)]. The TAC channels are whole different thing altogether (and that onion I have yet to start peeling).

When I hear "switch to the blue", they referring to Blue-1 and not Blue?

The field units will switch to whatever their assigned BLUE channel is.

Orange (San Diego) and Tan (Oceanside / Temecula) are good for their respective areas, but I just feel like I'm missing out on something.

We all feel that way. A lot is done via mobile data computers.

And if 42.34 is El Centro Dispatch, then why does the database list it as Border Division (which I translate as "San Diego"?).

BLUE (42.34) is the Blue Channel used in El Centro Dispatch's area (El Centro and Winterhaven Area Offices). Dispatch is on MAROON-1 (42.92).

As to why El Centro is listed as "Border Division" see the map at CHP-Geographic Divisions Page for the CHP's eight geographic field divisions (and Border Division's 12 Area Offices and 4 Dispatch centers).

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I shouldn't be giving out secrets, but when you hear agencies say that the "pursuit" is on "Blue 1", they are referring to RCS talkgroup 9040. SD CHP work chases off of their base frequency....in LA and Orange Counties they switch to 39.14, but that is because chases in LA typically go through 3-4 CHP areas.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, 42.34, that is what I meant........and if Stringer619 doesn't know about it, it is a secret. :p

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Apparently a bigger secret than we're thinking. It's not in the RCS db unless it's got an alias. Any other Blues not there?
Steve

Ummm ...
San Diego County - Imperial County Regional Communications System (RCS) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies

San Diego County Law Interoperability Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
9040 235 A BLUE 1 Blue 1 Interop
3216 0c9 A BLUE 2 Blue 2 Interop

Looks like they're there to me!
(In this case, the BLUE 1 and BLUE 2 talkgroups are San Diego County Law Enforcement "Blue" talkgroups which replaced the former 153.995 MHz simplex County "BLUE" LE Mutual Aid channel when the RCS was placed into service in 1998.)

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Those are CHP Blue channels or San Diego Co's - or both?
Steve

Steve - CHP now has multiple "BLUE" channels on VHF Lowband.
San Diego County has two "BLUE" talkgroups on the RCS.

They are not common to each other.

Don

carlt

The Blues on RCS are not CHP TGs. They are countywide for pursuit, BOLOs, etc. When CHP has a pursuit, they normally handle it on their main area freq, but may patch to RCS Blue for other agencies to monitor or assist.

hpycmpr

Thanks for the clarification. I misinterpreted Don's answer. So if I have it straight these are SDCo Blue and no direct correlation to CHP.
So does CHP have any Blues on RCS?

Steve

carlt

Correct, the Blues on RCS are countywide LE use. CHP only has the TGs in their list, but only uses the El Cajon/Resident ones.

Stringer619

News Photojournalist
Yeah the BLUE 1 and BLUE 2 on the RCS are by no means a "secret". Nor are the conventional CHP Blue's. Just which conventional Blue's were relevant is what confused me.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification. I misinterpreted Don's answer. So if I have it straight these are SDCo Blue and no direct correlation to CHP.
So does CHP have any Blues on RCS?

Steve

Steve,

Yeah, it can be confusing.
CHP has two consoles on the RCS (El Cajon Area dispatcher and the Link position), with the ability to console patch any of the CHP channels to RCS talkgroups.

Don

musician2111

Don I have never heard "go to Blue 2". When would Blue 2 be used instead of Blue 1? Can you give a hypethetical? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.