SDPD encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Heard a dispatcher talking on a Disp 2 to a patrol officer having some issue with her radio. The dispatcher asked if her radio had been upgraded to encryption yet. I would take that to mean patrol radios are getting upgraded for encryption...that SDSO APX radio fleetmap showing new SDPD per division encrypted tacs might be coming soon to a scanner near you.

Paul

ABLE was asked to go to NORTAC, but they didn't know what it was. Someone said it's the new northern tac channel, ABLE said they have not been reprogrammed yet. the requesting unit said he'd had it for 3 weeks now.
I don't see this TG in the RR or Uniden database.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I heard that too, "Northern Tac 1"....I was doing a system search to try and pick it up!

I think this was on the Sheriff's fleetmap that was posted a few months back...showed Northern Dispatch, Northern tac 1, Northern Tac 2, and a Northern ENCRYPTED tac if I am not mistaken? Sort of matches the Sheriff's talkgroups set-up, guess it makes the radio zone/channels easier to navigate?

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
They just worked a 15 minute long close in and arrest on Northern Tac.....on searching, the only continuous radio traffic on the system was 46565 encrypted.

Paul

disp10

Premium Subscriber
They just worked a 15 minute long close in and arrest on Northern Tac.....on searching, the only continuous radio traffic on the system was 46565 encrypted.

Paul

Not sure that's a valid talk group number. Maybe it was patched?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Found the old posted RCS talkgroup map...shows the NOR TAC channel as full time encrypted. Just a matter of time before they start using the "yellow channels" for SDPD. I am speculating that they are rolling out Flashport upgrades to their analog only RB radios with both P25, Phase I, and 700MHz with encryption. I think the only reason these SDPD encrypted tacs are not used currently is because every beat cop switching to the channel would have to have an updated radio to communicate on the incident.

Paul

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 3.58.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 3.58.44 PM.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,027

SCPD

QRT
I heard that too, "Northern Tac 1"....I was doing a system search to try and pick it up!

I think this was on the Sheriff's fleetmap that was posted a few months back...showed Northern Dispatch, Northern tac 1, Northern Tac 2, and a Northern ENCRYPTED tac if I am not mistaken? Sort of matches the Sheriff's talkgroups set-up, guess it makes the radio zone/channels easier to navigate?

Paul

I forgot where I seen it but yes someone posted a new fleet map and coordination map which listed the information allot noted as secure capable or strapped.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
OPD radios

Found the old posted RCS talkgroup map...shows the NOR TAC channel as full time encrypted. Just a matter of time before they start using the "yellow channels" for SDPD. I am speculating that they are rolling out Flashport upgrades to their analog only RB radios with both P25, Phase I, and 700MHz with encryption. I think the only reason these SDPD encrypted tacs are not used currently is because every beat cop switching to the channel would have to have an updated radio to communicate on the incident.

Paul

Looking for something like this for OPD radios.

novacheck

Hi all I don't want to turn this into a debate on encryption at all but I just have a couple of questions that maybe someone in the know could answer:

1. Is SDPD moving to a new system all together or are they just encrypting channels?
2. How long do we have before they start doing this to all the other channels, It is a safety issue for my family, since in California the gun laws are so strict for none criminals id like to at least be able to hear what's going on if I need.

I have talked to several retired officers form other agencies and they agree encryption is needed for ceratin things. If you ask me the transparency is gone when they Encrypt everything. What should be encrypted is inquires because sometimes they do give out SSN #s, and a couple of TACs. This needing to encrypt and use the enc chan for everything is not transparent and makes the community feel they cant trust the PD again. SDPD has worked hard to gain the trust of the people but they are slowly going to lose it again.

Last thing ill say here is that if they cant afford to pay the officers enough to keep them from leaving SDPD why pay money when the radio system they have is not broken! FIX the other issues they have first!

Again please lets not start a debate I just have those two questions if anyone has the answers.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Wait. You don't want an encryption debate, but then you post your opinion on the issue, and something completely unrelated and call it a "family safety issue?

OK.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
There is no encryption "debate"...if they do not want to be heard, then they encrypt...I know I encrypt any and all over the air comms on my two way systems. Do I like it...no, I require the ability to hear them for my job, but I also don't like falling in love with a girl who doesn't like me back. The most we can hope for in this relationship with the city, is that they like us enough to let us listen to them. :)

And in order to move their officers to the new 700MHz system, their radios as far as I know would need to be reflashed, which cost a bit of money. It would appear that as they flash older radios with the new system capabilities, such as 9600 digital trunking, they are also installing or enabling encryption. Just guessing here, but seems like reasonable guess. A day will eventually come where comms move to LTE style PTT, just as inaccessible as encryption.

Paul

novacheck

I guess my main msg here was SDPD has some more important issues to worry about and spend money on such as keeping its officers and increasing pay etc. the Radio system they have work fine so why spend $$ on something that's working? How about spend that $ on training, hiring and retaining our officers?

PTT has been here and didn't work remember something called Nextel?

Anyways no new updates on any of this? I thought SDPD moving or updating anything was a few years out because of $. Americas finest city but some of the worst pay and public safety retention ever!

I support all our officers and I bet the majority would agree let's fix the pay issues before anything els.

Also yea we can always try and have SDPD be transparent all it takes is some petetions and peaceful protests.

Has a SDPD officer ever been injured or killed in the line of duty because of radio equipment? I bet not but has any because of lake of back up or support?

Let's support our officers! Take that $ and hire and give raises. It's pretty sad what they make considering what they do for us.

novacheck

Another thing we all could do is get together and just start following every police activity record it on video and post it online. That will give the transparency needed and also a lot of attention to the SDPD. Innocent people always get the short end of the stick! I had so much respect for SDPD and the chief until now concerning transparency!

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
... And in order to move their officers to the new 700MHz system, their radios as far as I know would need to be reflashed, which cost a bit of money. ...
Paul

As I recall, the City's Sprint-provided replacement radios included the P25 flashes. I don't know about encryption, however if the replaced radio had it, the replacement radio got it.

I guess my main msg here was SDPD has some more important issues to worry about and spend money on such as keeping its officers and increasing pay etc. the Radio system they have work fine so why spend $$ on something that's working? ...

The 800 infrastructure is at end-of-life. The City has been building a replacement network, which is almost ready to start taking on public safety users.

Don

JoeyC

Another thing we all could do is get together and just start following every police activity record it on video and post it online. That will give the transparency needed and also a lot of attention to the SDPD. Innocent people always get the short end of the stick! I had so much respect for SDPD and the chief until now concerning transparency!

You won't get much support on that one. Most hobbyists here would rather maintain a low profile and hopefully keep massive encryption up in Orange and Riverside counties. Starting a "transparency squad" with a youtube channel is counterproductive.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Don, You said "The City has been building a replacement network, which is almost ready to start taking on public safety users". I know that public safety has popped up on the City 700 system from time to time, is this the system that will have the public safety? Reason I ask, I provide the feed, SD and Poway fire which is linked to Pulsepoint. It would be nice If I could be prepared for a change.

Earl

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Don, You said "The City has been building a replacement network, which is almost ready to start taking on public safety users". I know that public safety has popped up on the City 700 system from time to time, is this the system that will have the public safety? Reason I ask, I provide the feed, SD and Poway fire which is linked to Pulsepoint. It would be nice If I could be prepared for a change.

Earl

Earl,

Yes, although the last I heard it will be next year before they start moving users off 800.

novacheck

You won't get much support on that one. Most hobbyists here would rather maintain a low profile and hopefully keep massive encryption up in Orange and Riverside counties. Starting a "transparency squad" with a youtube channel is counterproductive.

Yea I didn't mean now, I meant when they do go that direction.

See this is what the higher ups need to worry about and spend money on, not a radio system.

Officers Urge More Overtime To Boost San Diego Police Department Staffing Levels | NBC 7 San Diego

JoeyC

Did you not read what Don stated above? What good is an aging system that will not be supported at the end of its useful life?

Status
Not open for further replies.