RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > San Francisco Bay Area Discussion

San Francisco Bay Area Discussion Local area specific discussion for the San Francisco Bay area including the North, East and South Bays.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 7:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

( Korpseofdeath ) Try using LMR-400 Cable on long runs. I found that cable has less loss than RG-6. This made a difference on my scanner runs. You will notice that "T" in your cable run will also "lose" signal. You might try a separate run for each scanner.
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmh603 View Post
( Korpseofdeath ) Try using LMR-400 Cable on long runs. I found that cable has less loss than RG-6. This made a difference on my scanner runs. You will notice that "T" in your cable run will also "lose" signal. You might try a separate run for each scanner.
I just made an amazing discovery! And guess what?! I am picking up Oakland P25 on my PRO-197 with the little antenna that came with the scanner in the box. What I did, was I was snooping about the software updates for the CPU, and I had all the new CPU updates, but I noticed there was also a DSP. Now my DSP said 1.3, and I noticed that on the "Pro-106 and Pro-197 CPU/DSP Upgrades" page, there was a software update for DSP which stated "DSP 1.4 fixes: Minimizes the possibility of a previous NAC displayed on a new transmission.". Once I upgraded that, boom, I instantly was able to hear oakland, from my bedroom, in San Lorenzo, with I wouldn't say crystal clear audio, but I can follow all transmission now!! This is an amazing find for me at this moment . Hopefully some other people who were having the same problem as me could benefit from this.
Old 07-05-2012, 4:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Did something changed with Oakland? I used to pick them up with my analog scanners ( Uniden BC346XT and Radio Shack Pro 162).

Did the old EDACS system go off the air?
Old 07-05-2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffire View Post
Did something changed with Oakland? I used to pick them up with my analog scanners ( Uniden BC346XT and Radio Shack Pro 162).

Did the old EDACS system go off the air?
The EDACS system is still up and running, but not all channels are carried on it.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 AM

Default re: oakland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangeveld View Post
The EDACS system is still up and running, but not all channels are carried on it.
Can someone run trunker on both system to find out what FD's tg's are where? I haven't heard anything off the edacs system for fire in an hour.
Sponsored links

Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ive heard fire over the P25 system. Its broken up and choppy because my range is a bit far for their digital signal. I don't think they broadcast FD on the EDACS anymore
Old 07-09-2012, 1:05 AM

Default re: oakland

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpseofdeath View Post
Ive heard fire over the P25 system. Its broken up and choppy because my range is a bit far for their digital signal. I don't think they broadcast FD on the EDACS anymore
where are you?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM

Default re: GRE vs BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG View Post
To the last two posters, thank you for this info. I recently purchased a BC396XT and have not been able to monitor Oakland's P25 system well and have been disappointed, not knowing why I am having poor reception and choppy audio in some cases. Thanks for the additional technical details on why this is so. As this is the system I monitor the most (for several decades), I will now go with a GRE500. I'll do some reading up on the GRE800 (haven't really researched the GRE models), but the GRE500 has ARC software that I would like to use to help programs systems and seems like a good choice.

Sig,

Have you bought your GRE yet? Did it help any?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

From Daly City, I can hear Oakland fire , kind of choppy on the P25 system
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffire View Post
From Daly City, I can hear Oakland fire , kind of choppy on the P25 system
You must be up in the hills.
Old 07-23-2012, 1:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben96cal View Post
where are you?
I am in San Lorenzo, with my antenna mounted on top of my single family home.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 PM

There's an intermittent annoying tone on EDACS talkgroup 13-046. Anyone else hearing it?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM

I've seen reports here that the edacs system is no longer in use, however the database for OFD only shows Disp, Tac 2, 3 as tg's on the new system. The edacs system had many more tg's. Has no one updated the DB or is Oakland only really using 2 tac channels on the new system...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I've seen reports here that the edacs system is no longer in use, however the database for OFD only shows Disp, Tac 2, 3 as tg's on the new system. The edacs system had many more tg's. Has no one updated the DB or is Oakland only really using 2 tac channels on the new system...
I'm sure there are more tac channels, they just haven't been observed and/or submitted. The P25 system should have a full setup of tac channels mirroring the EDACS system.
Old 12-12-2012, 1:12 PM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
The system is alive and well. I still monitor Oakland on it daily. PD included
Sponsored links

Old 12-12-2012, 3:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Edacs

I'm not hearing anything for OPD or Fire on the Edacs system since last weekend. The only thing I have heard on it is Parking Enforcement and Public Works - Traffic & Street Lights and Public Works - Street Maintenance . It seems like they have all public works as Edacs only, and now all PD and Fire are P25 only.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Has no one submitted the info to the DB or...
I fixed that for you.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 PM

I'm tired of dealing with this multipath issue and am considering going on ebay and plunking down some money for a P25 800 trunking portable. What would you recommend? XTS2500? 5000?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

Quote:
I'm tired of dealing with this multipath issue and am considering going on ebay and plunking down some money for a P25 800 trunking portable. What would you recommend? XTS2500? 5000?
good luck getting a system key. I wouldnt waste your money
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Have you thought that out? Because if you haven't you're in for wasting a lot of money for something that in most cases won't work. Have you thought about the costs of the software, how you'll even program the system in to the radio, how you'll monitor without transmitting? This isn't like the old days with 3600 trunking. Unless you've got a hook-up for getting the radio on the system I would advise you to stay away.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.