Spring Valley VFD / Ed Levin Park Hang Glider Emergency / Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6DTW

Hi all,

I note that the Santa Clara County listings are showing "Spring Valley VFD / Ed Levin Park Hang Glider Emergency" as two amateur radio frequencies. There are some unlicensed hang glider users on those frequencies, so we're trying to figure out how that's happening.

Does anyone know why this listing is tied to the Spring Valley VFD section? Does the Spring Valley VFD actually monitor the amateur frequencies for hang glider emergency calls?

...dtw

trooperdude

Database Admin
Licensed amateurs who are part of the hang glider club were using those frequencies last I checked,.

One of the park rangers (licensed ham) and Spring Valley personnel (also a licensed ham) monitor those frequencies.

Not aware of any un-licensed activity on them.

What are you hearing?

Hi all,

I note that the Santa Clara County listings are showing "Spring Valley VFD / Ed Levin Park Hang Glider Emergency" as two amateur radio frequencies. There are some unlicensed hang glider users on those frequencies, so we're trying to figure out how that's happening.

Does anyone know why this listing is tied to the Spring Valley VFD section? Does the Spring Valley VFD actually monitor the amateur frequencies for hang glider emergency calls?

...dtw

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
I heard activity on one of those grequencies this past week. While I was not paying attention to exactly what was being said, the traffic soundled like regular ham type traffic. But with my inattention I was not hearing any call signs at the time, and I can't verify exactly what was being transmitted on it.

Spring Valley Fire covers a very remote area, with the number of hams and ranchers within that district. As a result, initial reports, and alternate forms of contact maybe made as well as possible rescues or evacs maybe be coordinated on such frequencies. With a proliferation of hams in an area it makes sense to set a frequency or two aside that locals may monitor in case of any mishaps. Obviously one is not expected to hear commerical traffic on the ham channels - nor would one expect Morgan Hill (the ECC for Spring Valley) to be moving ops or command on those frequencies. One should also not be surprised to hear bootleg operators on any frequency.

I will try to remember to add those frequencies to my ham radio so I and pay closer attention to those frequencies while working in the area, later this week.

W6DTW

Various people have reported hearing traffic on the glider frequencies which may be non-amateur use; either unlicensed use, or licensed hams not using callsigns. (I guess if I were hundreds of feet above the ground with a painted bedsheet strapped to my back, I might forget to ID every 10 mins too.) There have also been reports of a flying school using the amateur frequencies to coach their students, which would be a prohibited commercial use.

We've been in contact with the group that coordinates the glider site, and they're being very cooperative. This is apparently something that crops up every couple of years. The solution in the past has been to enforce licensing on amateur frequencies, remind licensees to ID, and divert the commercial users over to Part 90 or Part 95 frequencies.

...dtw

hackyman

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, Not sure why the ham channels are even listed on Radio Reference. I am the Fire Chief for Spring Valley VFD and a licensed ham. There are several members of our department that are also licensed hams and we all have those 2 frequencies programmed in our ham radios for emergencies. The only time I have ever used either of those 2 frequencies was when we have had a Hang Glider emergency.

Mike
Fire Chief
Spring Valley Volunteer Fire Department
Ham Call Sign: KG6VXS

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for coming on to set us straight Chief. Frequencies have been renamed and moved to the Amateur Radio section of Santa Clara County.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, Not sure why the ham channels are even listed on Radio Reference. I am the Fire Chief for Spring Valley VFD and a licensed ham. There are several members of our department that are also licensed hams and we all have those 2 frequencies programmed in our ham radios for emergencies. The only time I have ever used either of those 2 frequencies was when we have had a Hang Glider emergency.

Mike
Fire Chief
Spring Valley Volunteer Fire Department
Ham Call Sign: KG6VXS

Thanks for the update Chief. Is Spring Valley still is using SCU Local as dispatch and command?

Status
Not open for further replies.