Sunnyvale and Santa Clara City going to 700 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmh603

Just heard that the cities of Sunnyvale and Santa Clara City will go live on Jan. 1, 2014 and their old channels will not be used! This System will be Phase II P25 Trunk system which scanner radios cannot monitor.
-KMH603

trooperdude

Database Admin
Sunnyvale has to abandon T-Band per the deal Congress made for D-Block, so this was a good opportunity to use Federal $$ to move the north county to 700 (San Mateo Co will also soon follow).

Bummer on the Phase II P25. I wonder when/if the remaining scanner manufacturers will address it.

kingpewpew

mkewman

Don't count on it being P25 Phase 2 immediately. It's SOP to launch a system in Phase 1, and then migrate to Phase 2 once everything is working correctly. It will probably be a Phase II capable system... meaning all they have to do is flip a switch (and have folks switch to a different zone on their portables and mobiles) and they're good.

I don't know who the vendor is, but if it's motorola, Pretty much count on it being Phase 1 to start.

johndrake

I found this on the Sunnyvale city managers blog.

Public Safety Radio System Replacement Update

DPS continues to progress towards the radio system replacement that was approved last year. The selected vendor, Motorola, has been conducting significant work on installation of the infrastructure at DPS headquarters. It is anticipated that in early September testing will begin. The final system acceptance is scheduled for December 2013.

The new radio system is part of the larger Silicon Valley Regional Interoperability Authority system design. This interoperable radio system is designed to eventually include all of the county agencies in both the police and fire disciplines. The City of Sunnyvale, City of Santa Clara, Santa Clara County and the City of San Jose have partnered on this initial deployment called Stage 1 and 2. When these stages are complete the City of Sunnyvale and the City of Santa Clara will completely transition from the legacy systems to the new.

With this new system every agency in the county will have a seamless ability to communicate via the radios we carry every day. Currently there several disparate systems in the county in which some of them cannot communicate with others. With this new system there will be one very robust infrastructure utilizing the latest in technology. In preparation for this very significant change to DPS a large group of 22 people has been established to address all of the implementation considerations. The current technology we are using has been very reliable but has reached beyond its useful life and has begun to have periods of difficulty reiterating the need for the new system.

City Manager's Blog: August 12, 2013 - City Manager's Updates

mkewman

Great news: this system is going to have a massive number of sites which translates to amazing coverage, both indoors and outdoors. We're talking a double digit number of sites.

My understanding is that they are still in the preliminary stages here, and they havent even begun the main site installs yet. they're just in testing/spec-ing/purchasing mode right now.

Stealthguy05

Six sites for the city of Sunnyvale alone it appears. In addition, anyone know what this site is? 05E4h-0101

jland138

Santa Clara SVRCS (Silicon Valley Regional Communications System) now active

The Santa Clara site of SVRCS (Silicon Valley Regional Communications System) is now active. Getting 100% decode in north Santa Clara county. Current control channel is 772.30625 with 771.85625, 772.15625 and 772.45625 as alternates.

dshafer1

Premium Subscriber
Seems like Sunnyvale went live this morning as WQSE773. Getting 100% decode 4 levels underground in Downtown Sunnyvale. I saw talk group activity on 1655 or something similar. Was too quick to write it down.
Here is the FCC Query ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQSE773 - SANTA CLARA, COUNTY OF (SVRIA)
Hi Stealthguy,

I've been ID searching since yesterday on my 396XT and haven't heard any activity. I'm getting a control channel, but only 2-3 bars from Campbell. What kind of traffic were you hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.