RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > San Francisco Bay Area Discussion

San Francisco Bay Area Discussion Local area specific discussion for the San Francisco Bay area including the North, East and South Bays.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 2:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unhappy Kaiser Bay Area - Update?

So today while in the Terra Linda (Marin County) Kaiser area I tried listening in on their security which I had as 464.525Mhz. There was nothing but a digital burst every onve in a while on their "Main" channel of 464.325Mhz.

Did they switch to a new system or something totally different?

Regards,

-Frank C.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2014, 7:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks_ham View Post
So today while in the Terra Linda (Marin County) Kaiser area I tried listening in on their security which I had as 464.525Mhz. There was nothing but a digital burst every onve in a while on their "Main" channel of 464.325Mhz.

Did they switch to a new system or something totally different?

Regards,

-Frank C.
I believe most Kaisers are now using DMR or MotoTRBO. The new Kaiser in San Leandro is using 452.5 MHz with a color code of 10. Time slot 1 has talkgroup 101 and time slot 2 has talkgroup 102. The Kaiser in Redwood City is using 464.525 with a color code of 6. Time slot 1 has talkgroup 101 observed so far.

There are no scanners capable of picking up DMR/MotoTRBO at this time. However, a scanner modified with a discriminator tap and software can be used to listen. Also, using an actual DMR/MotoTRBO radio works as well.
Old 06-18-2014, 9:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I believe the Kaiser in Oakland system is encrypt

Vince48
Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 AM
California DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

To add, the Kaiser Medical Center in Oakland uses a MotoTRBO Capacity Plus Trunking system:
Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center Trunking System, Oakland, California - Scanner Frequencies

Thus, some Kaiser hospitals are not only MotoTRBO digital, but trunked as well. As for encryption, I never heard any voice traffic to tell if privacy was enabled.
Old 06-20-2014, 1:00 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

DMR Decoder did not seem to indicate that the frequencies I listed were Capacity Plus or Connect Plus. I do have 464.8 marked as Capacity Plus on my logs. They were using a color code of 2 but I couldn't tell who it was based on the context of the transmissions.

I'm fairly new to monitoring DMR/MotoTRBO since I recently bought a Connect Systems CS-700 for ham use. I use a Pro-97 with a discriminator tap to find color code, time slot and talkgroup using DMR Decoder. I also run DSD+ at the same time to hear the audio. Then I can program my CS-700 to monitor these frequencies with a handheld away from the computer.

If and when the database is set up to accept DMR/MotoTRBO information, I have some information for a couple of airlines, medical facilties and security for tech companies (ie Facebook or Google). These are all non Capacity Plus or Connect Plus systems, as indicated by DMR Decoder.
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2014, 12:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks guys. Such a shame they think they need such "high end" encryption and such.

Regards,

-Frank C.