RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum > San Francisco Bay Area Discussion

San Francisco Bay Area Discussion - Local area specific discussion for the San Francisco Bay area including the North, East and South Bays.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 3:36 PM

Default GGNRA Law Enforcement

Anyone have the scoop on why GGNRA law enforcement has turned off encryption? They announced on the air today that operation in unencrypted mode will continue "indefinitely" and reminded units to turn off encryption on their radios. US Park Police had a pursuit yesterday; perhaps they had interoperability issues with allied agencies?
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2018, 6:43 PM

Not for long.

Many (most) transmissions on LE-1 logged today have once again been encrypted, including RID 104, which I think is a dispatcher or dispatch console. There are small handful of transmissions (1 in 15 maybe) which remain in the clear as of this moment.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Comes and goes

I too was surprised to hear some talk in the clear. Over the past month or so specific ops have been in clear, others not. I bet it's an interoperability issue.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Yeah encryption appears to be back, must have been a temporary issue.
Old 01-15-2018, 5:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default NPS Encryption

I don't get why they are encrypted anyway, they're just park cops.

"Ah yes, we believe this tree needs executive protection with full-time secure comms, oh yes..."

I understand the concept behind "they have national jurisdiction and are funded by the government, so they can do whatever they want with no radio budget problems..", but it would be interesting to hear any other viewpoints as to why they flip the switch. Not even San Quentin prison uses encryption.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2018, 5:51 PM

I listened to their traffic for the couple of days it was in the clear. I've never heard anything so boring on a radio. They are encrypting nothing of any interest whatsoever. A drive thru would be more exciting.

GGNRA LE is the epitome of "you're not missing anything".
Old 01-15-2018, 7:33 PM

As a first responder in Marin, it would certainly be nice to be able to monitor GGNRA LE, but I guess keeping the auto burglars in the dark is more important to them...
Old 01-16-2018, 1:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outerdog View Post
I listened to their traffic for the couple of days it was in the clear. I've never heard anything so boring on a radio. They are encrypting nothing of any interest whatsoever. A drive thru would be more exciting.

GGNRA LE is the epitome of "you're not missing anything".
Haha, good to know. Guess it's not that big of a deal, then.