What exactly are Linear Transponder's?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I have tried to do some research on Linear Transponder's and I can't seem to find a defination (or response) that I can grasp or understand. I guess I need it in layman's terms. From what I can gather it is somewhat like a cross-band repeater. Apparently you can transmit on an uplink frequency and it gets sent back on a downlink frequency?!?! If I am getting warm please let me know. One article advised in the inverting process due to the doppler effect if you transmit 1 kHz above center frequency it will come back 1 kHz below center frequency?!?! Again let me know if I am still warm. I would love to work these Inverting Linear Transponder's if I could get a good understanding of them.

JeremyB

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/information/faqs/Intro_sats.pdf

On about page 5 is a diagram of how an inverting linear transponder works(the freqs are for FO-29), basically like you said, if you transmit below the center freq, you will have to listen above the center freq on the downlink. Also, on the inverting tranpsonders you need to listen on USB if you transmit on LSB and if you tx on LSB you listen to USB.

The diagram doesn't account for doppler, so if you had a high pass of FO-29 and wanted the sat to rx you on 145.940 at AOS you would actually need to TX at about 145.937 because of doppler. And you would have to listen at 435.870 to hear the sat tx at 435.860.

On the non-inverting sats, if you TX above the center freq on USB, you listen above the center freq on USB on the downlink

K9WG

You are pretty close. The idea is that the satellite takes your transmission and repeats it on another band just like a terrestrial repeater. Here is the twist, the satellite output frequency changes with the received frequency. In other words whatever frequency you transmit to the satellite it adds or subtracts and retransmits it back. This way you can tune a band of frequencies and the satellite will change it’s transmit frequency. An example would be tuning a CW transmitter from 28.100Mhz to 28.150MHz would result in the satellite retransmitting from 144.100Mhz to 144.15MHz. This is a very simple example and does not take into consideration Doppler shift etc.

prcguy

A typical terrestrial repeater for amateur voice will have a receiver that demodulates a signal to audio, then its fed to a transmitter at a different frequency and sent back out. It only works in one mode which the receiver is designed for (usually FM) and the transmitter power is fixed and continuous. Its also only works at the single frequency that the receiver is tuned to.

A Linear Transponder is much different in there is no specific receiver and nothing is demodulated to audio. It will also pass a signal of any modulation as long as its narrow enough to pass through the input and output filters in the system.

In its simplest form a Linear Transponder has an input bandpass filter to limit the incoming spectrum. It could be 50KHz wide or 50MHz wide. The signal or signals within the passband are amplified and translated intact (with a mixer and local oscillator) to another frequency range then amplified and filtered again before being sent to the antenna..

Whatever signal goes in at the low end of the input passband would usually go out at the low end of the output passband but it can be inverted depending on the design. The output signal level would be proportional to the input signal level, meaning if you went in to the linear transponder with a weak signal it would come out at a weak level and a strong input signal would go out at a higher level up to the maximum power of the amplifier in the output section of the translator.

Depending on the bandwidth of the filters you could have one to many signals passing through the translator or transponder at any given time and the signals could be any mode.

Since the amplifiers in the transponder are shared, there is only so much transmit power available and a single strong signal into the transponder that causes the amplifiers to saturate will hog the entire transponder and weaker signals passing through at the same time will suffer.

A linear transponder is often referred to as a "bent pipe" taking in everything within its input range and spitting it out on its output frequency range with varying signal levels kept in proportion to each other.
prcguy

Last edited:

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
Thanks to everyone who responded thus far! I am getting a much better (& clearer) understanding of what a linear transponder (inverting or non-inverting) is all about. I am very anxious to work this mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.