satcom pirates pirates or misinterpreted users

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
Pirates as in unlicensed/unauthorized radio operations. Pirates sometimes also referred to as bootleggers.

Most of the CONUS pirate activity comes from Brazil. There is also some Argentina based stations from time to time.

reconrider8

well i understand that but if they are using those comms as their primary public safety comms and the sat picks it up as an uplink freq then would that still be classed as pirate

prcguy

I've been listening to Brazilian pirates for 20+ years and used to play the downlinks at work where Brazilian employees would translate for me. In every case it was people knowingly pirating the satellite and using it like a giant CB network.

In many cases my Brazilian friends identified the people transmitting as having a Sao Paulo accent and I've also heard them talking to one of their group who was in the US and it sounded like South Florida from the conversation.
prcguy

well i understand that but if they are using those comms as their primary public safety comms and the sat picks it up as an uplink freq then would that still be classed as pirate

Status
Not open for further replies.