ISS Activity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtp

me

i have one old pro-2001 with the downlinks and it runs all day.
i can not decode packet but know the sound.
even got to "hear" slow scan tv a couple of weeks ago.
and have heard them talking to schools.
and get out ot night to see them.

Last edited:

Radiowawez

i have one old pro-2001 with the downlinks and it runs all day.
i can not decode packet but know the sound.
even got to "hear" slow scan tv a couple of weeks ago.
and have heard them talking to schools.
and get out ot night to see them.
Cool stuff!

navaidstech

Yea, it's pretty easy to contact the ISS via packet.
I've done this a bunch of times in the past few weeks. Doesn't take that much power either considering you've got a decent antenna. When I first got into it, I was able to hit it with a Radio Shack discone.

Radiowawez

Yea, it's pretty easy to contact the ISS via packet.
I've done this a bunch of times in the past few weeks. Doesn't take that much power either considering you've got a decent antenna. When I first got into it, I was able to hit it with a Radio Shack discone.
Haven't played with packet. I like using satellites to bounce ham ad signals using different bands. All good fun. Huh?

del1964

Premium Subscriber
ISS just passed overhead...

ISS just passed overhead... Heard the strong signal on SDR Sharp at 145.8 Mhz NFM.....Had the MMSTV app running......No picture.....dang Switched through all modes from Auto on down and nothing But the signal was very strong and loud (scared my wife and dog....ha ha) Any ideas? Better app to use???

cmeyer18

I just heard the pass as well, think it may have been the last one for the night because after one image it stopped transmitting. I used MMSSTV to decode it, and got image 10 of 12. Used NFM and while there was a bit of interference in the beginning and the recording started a bit late I think it turned out pretty good.

Did you have your samples set too high? I know I had issues with any kind of data being sent if I kept the sample rate higher. Setting at .9Msps has worked great for recording both NOAA, ISS SSTV, and Meteor N2 images.

I actually recorded the baseband, and while not the best you can have another try at decoding it so you can figure out what went wrong.

ISS pass baseband IQ WAV: The file

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I believe MMSSTV can make sense of PD180. Play back your recording of the pass and set it for PD180.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Over the weekend the ISS was transmitting SSTV images on that frequency. With the proper program you could turn the received signal into the sent image. Here is a link of what the images look like. Yes, many are the same, but they have been uploaded by people around the world. Welcome to the AMSAT SSTV gallery

You should not hear any talking in the audio. The thing is, I don't know what that audio was. It seemed quite filtered as I could not recognize nor decode the audio from that recording. Perhaps the issue is on my end. Thank you for sharing the recording.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Saturday's broadcast was much louder and more clear. .....but I didn't think to record it. Last night's for some reason was much weaker but I did get that signal is ISS flew directly overhead of my house

del1964

Premium Subscriber
So I'm not sure if that was the SSTV signal or something completely different. Saturday's definitely was the SSTV signal and I base that on pre-recorded posts of the audio from others

johnr0563

ISS recording- what is this?

The ISS passed overhead both Saturday and Sunday. I was calling CQ on the 144.490 uplink, but all I got was a constant sound on the 145.800 downlink. The sound began as soon as the ISS was in range and continued for about 8 minutes until it was out of range.

I recorded the audio and posted it online to see if anyone can tell me what the noise was, and if I should have been doing something else or been on a different frequency in order to receive a voice downlink.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s70mfxizritkjs7/iss.mp3?dl=0

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.