New to SATCOM: Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyfortress

I'm either getting a PRO-650 or PRO-649, and I have no experience in satellite downlink monitoring. I know NOAA satellites operate on 137 MHz, and I have a frequency database of military satellites. I want to know how I can get signals on a radio scanner, and what antenna I need. I'm only listening to the downlink/telemetry of satellites. How do I do all of this? Do I have to do anything with the radio(setting it up, etc.)? And, does anyone here know what frequency MILSTARs operate on? How do I actually get to listen to a satellite signal on a scanner? Is it easy? I'm a beginner. Thanks!

lazyfortress

Also, what is a good beginner satellite to get a signal on other than space stations? I want to get the telemetry from ERS-2, any NOAA satellite, AO-7?, METop, USA-101, MILSTAR, TDRS, and others. By any chance, does anyone have the frequencies for any of these satellites?

prcguy

Where are you located? The Mistar program I worked on was around 22GHz on the downlink and not something you can pick up with a scanner. You can receive UHF military sats in the 245 to 270MHz range and sometimes with a stock rubber antenna on the scanner when your outdoors with no obstructions.

Search the 245 to 270MHz range in 25KHz increments and FM mode. 99.9% of comms there will be digital and encrypted but sometimes you can catch an analog FM signal in the clear. A proper antenna makes a huge difference but you will usually pay way more for a surplus mil antenna than you did for your scanner.

If your handy with tools you can make one with instructions in this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/sa...8-mt-magazine-uhf-satcom-antenna-project.html
prcguy

I'm either getting a PRO-650 or PRO-649, and I have no experience in satellite downlink monitoring. I know NOAA satellites operate on 137 MHz, and I have a frequency database of military satellites. I want to know how I can get signals on a radio scanner, and what antenna I need. I'm only listening to the downlink/telemetry of satellites. How do I do all of this? Do I have to do anything with the radio(setting it up, etc.)? And, does anyone here know what frequency MILSTARs operate on? How do I actually get to listen to a satellite signal on a scanner? Is it easy? I'm a beginner. Thanks!

lazyfortress

I thought you could get MILSTAR on 243.785-243.900 MHz? It's described as "dripping water". I live in Maryland, so what do I have to do to set the scanner when I get it? I'm 13 by the way. Oh, and is there a website that lists the frequencies of all satellites?

lazyfortress

When I get a scanner, is it possible to attach one of radio shack's VHF-Hi/UHF antennas to it? The PRO-649 Scanner. I also have a satellite dish (DirecTV 18-inch), and what can I do with it?

lazyfortress

Satellite Data System orbits?

I'm interested in getting the downlink from any of the SDS satellites, any of which that can be heard from Maryland. I'm interested in USA-162. Does anyone know the times of the passes and/or the frequencies? Thanks!

JPSan

NRO owned

That bird is in a geostationary orbit.
And it is own by the NRO (National Reconnaissance Office/USAF) so it's very safe to assume it will not lend its self to monitoring.
Its purpose is reconnaissance missile early warning and lets leave it at that.
Anything further then that, sorry won't be able to help you, you know.;)

lazyfortress

USA-162 (256.475 MHz)-US intelligence-related satellite near 144° west longitude, possibly including communications: One of a triplet of reported frequencies carrying similar signals from satellite in geosynchronous orbit, exact frequency not known - also reported to transmit at 250.075, 263.225, 267.550 MHz and 2242.5 MHz

lazyfortress

PRO-650 Vs. PRO-649

I'm thinking about getting either a PRO-650 or PRO-649. Which one is better at receiving satellite signals and is durable? Do any of you know anything about Radio Shack's VHF-Hi/UHF dipole antenna (Up to 1300 MHz)? Can I attach it to a scanner? Is there any antenna made for radio scanners that can go up to about 3000 MHz? Thanks! And by the way, where is 144 degrees west at, and does it pass by Maryland in a geosynchronous orbit? I'm interested in the SDS satellites, preferably USA-162, 250.075 MHz. Some other military satellites such as the Skynet series operate above 2000 MHz. That's why I want an antenna that goes up to 3000 MHz in case any of you were wondering.

JPSan

A geostationary / geosynchronous bird is in a near fixed position over the equator ( around 32,000 miles give or take and there is some "wobble" in its position) it just stays there.

And NO it will never come over or near Maryland.

And the UHF comms on those birds will be encrypted because the nature of there mission ( unless something has change since my time). They are down/ uplinks to airborne recce a/c (Joint Rivet, and similar recce a/c etc.) So you will be wasting your time listening to white noise. Again, as far as you know there existence is for early warning detection of missile launch communications.:wink:

As far as a scanner antenna for the purpose of trying to monitor you can get a stationary directional antenna and some careful way of pointing to get the azimuth and elevation in it the ballpark. These directional UHF antennas can be home built ( see other postings on RR for info) or military surplus channels, eBay and such.
You can try an omni directional UHF antenn cut for the military freq range and give that a try. I used a military surplus UHF discone for my needs. I have also cut the better "store bought" discones and cut it to from 135 mhz - 420 mhz and that worked. I listen to just military aircraft operations.

I know nothing about those scanners or the capabilities, Others can answer that for you.

Anything at the microwave freq's your asking the antenna to be portable good luck. again that can be done but locating the correct signal is going to be fun as there is quite a few geo birds ( it's very crowded up there) that will be parked close to that location above the equator all transmitting on there various freq's so you'll nee to have a way to bird dog that exact freq to lock on. See what is used for example to lock on to a DBS signal from the Direct TV & Dish Network sat dishes for example, There birds are a lot geo syn birds on station above the equator. So that should give you an antenna idea. You'll need a LNB that will be very close to the required freq range. Hobbyist can do it if you got the patience.. But, remember it will be an exercise in futility as there will be nothing in the clear to hear / decode.

Good luck with your adventure.

The on station lifespan of these birds was an estimated 10 years. It might be EOL (End Of Life) deactivated or replaced which means it may have been moved from it's slot in the Clarke Belt. I think there sites on the web that will show the status of the geosynch birds and any movement from there slots..

N8IAA

I'm thinking about getting either a PRO-650 or PRO-649. Which one is better at receiving satellite signals and is durable? Do any of you know anything about Radio Shack's VHF-Hi/UHF dipole antenna (Up to 1300 MHz)? Can I attach it to a scanner? Is there any antenna made for radio scanners that can go up to about 3000 MHz? Thanks! And by the way, where is 144 degrees west at, and does it pass by Maryland in a geosynchronous orbit? I'm interested in the SDS satellites, preferably USA-162, 250.075 MHz. Some other military satellites such as the Skynet series operate above 2000 MHz. That's why I want an antenna that goes up to 3000 MHz in case any of you were wondering.

Neither of those scanners will receive in the 225-400MHz range to monitor satellites.
Oh, and, even though it says up to 1300MHz, it won't.
You would be better off buying a SDR dongle.
Larry

lazyfortress

What satellites can I receive on a scanner then? I am particularly interested in military satellites. Can I get a Milstar on a scanner? They operate in the 243 MHz range. What is a SDR Dongle?

lazyfortress

Help Please

JPSan told me about a discone antenna for a scanner. How do I connect it to a scanner (handheld), and can I make it mobile and not stationary (fixed, nailed/screwed to a wall)? And how do I know if I have a satellite signal when I tune it to the right frequency when it's near? Other than the ISS and NOAA and other weather satellites, what Military related satellite can I get a signal from the best? Like DMSP satellites. What is the best place to get a signal from? Do the discone antennas actually reach 1,000+ MHz? This one person on here told me that it was not true. Just wondering.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What satellites can I receive on a scanner then? I am particularly interested in military satellites. Can I get a Milstar on a scanner? They operate in the 243 MHz range. What is a SDR Dongle?

Picking up Milstar traffic is possible, but the vast majority is digital and encrypted.

Sent via Tapatalk

JPSan

G O O G L E

Yeah, Google is real easy to use when looking for info.Try it.

Some of the simple hits when typing in Monitoring Military
satellites......

VHF/UHF Military Monitoring - The RadioReference Wiki

Milcom Monitoring Post: Military Satellite Intercepts

MilSatMon : Military satcom Awareness & Monitoring System | Integral Systems Europe

UHF-Satcom.com - X-Band satellite monitoring

I don't know what your expecting to hear mostly all milsats that are mission critical are highly encrypted. If it is so easy all of are foes would very easily eavesdrop on everything we transmit from the birds. BUT, you have been told that a few times now.
And you been told by a few that a simple scanner is NOT going to do anything over 1 ghz. I'm thru,

Status
Not open for further replies.