CAMSAT XW-2 Satellites

Status
Not open for further replies.

wd9ewk

Is the Linear Transponder Inverting on these Satellite's,Two of the sat's have APRS uplink........

Yes, transponders are inverting. So far, only the XW-2E and XW-2F satellites have working transponders. They are not large transponders, 20 kHz wide with 70cm uplinks and 2m downlinks - just like AO-73/FUNcube-1 - but these transponders are easy to hear. The uplink receivers do a great job hearing weaker signals from stations on the ground.

On Sunday, I used an FT-817ND and SDRplay receiver (with HDSDR on a Windows 10 tablet) to hear the XW-2A through -2F satellites (these are the ones whose frequencies line up, one after the other) on a late-afternoon pass. I could clearly see/hear the CW and digital telemetry from all 6, and hear the transponders on the -2E and -2F satellites. Later the same day, I worked both of those transponders, logging QSOs on each of them. Other than the Elk Antennas handheld 2m/70cm log periodic not in the photo, this was my station for those passes on Sunday. I posted HDSDR RF recordings from those passes in my Dropbox space, and - if interested - I can post that link here. (It's been posted on my Twitter feed, and on other threads in the QRZ satellite forum)

One of the other satellites, LilacSat-2, has a 2m/70cm FM repeater onboard. It has apparently been tested briefly over China, and should be activated for worldwide use "soon".

Good luck!

Attachments

• 20150921-WD9EWK_station_for_CAS3_satellites-800x600.jpg
    20150921-WD9EWK_station_for_CAS3_satellites-800x600.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 838

wd9ewk

Hi!

Add another one to the list of satellites from last weekend's Chinese satellite launch to be active, and open for use by radio amateurs. LilacSat-2, also known as CAS-3H, had its FM transponder activated late in the day Tuesday, and was active for two North American passes Tuesday afternoon/evening (2330 UTC/7.30pm EDT, 0110 UTC/9.10pm EDT). The 144.350 MHz FM uplink frequency was accurate (and no CTCSS/PL tone was needed), but the downlink was 10 to 20 kHz below the published 437.225 MHz FM downlink.

During the later of the two passes, I made a contact with Glenn AA5PK in west Texas, and heard two other stations that didn't complete QSOs (KO6TZ and W7KKE). Since I was focusing on the 70cm FM downlink, I didn't check to see if the 144.390 MHz APRS digipeater on this satellite was active. There's also supposed to be a CW beacon around 437.200 MHz, but didn't hear it as I tuned around to locate the downlink. I used an Icom IC-2820H 2m/70cm FM mobile transceiver, transmitting at 50W to an Elk Antennas handheld 2m/70cm log periodic antenna. There was a strong carrier on the uplink frequency for the last half of the pass, and I could not get through it with either low (5W) or mid (15W) power on the IC-2820H. Only 50W worked.

I posted an MP3 recording with the audio I recorded, starting around 0117 UTC this evening when I worked AA5PK. That recording is at:

https://db.tt/sPOYLsJF

Tweets from M6SIG in England today mentioned that there is telemetry sent down from LilacSat-2 on the 70cm FM downlink, in the space where a CTCSS/PL tone would be used. I may try working this satellite tomorrow night using my SDRplay as the downlink receiver, and then see if I can detect any data in that space.

Good luck!

wd9ewk

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Hi again!

Wei Mingchuan BG2BHC posted on the AMSAT-BB list this evening, stating that the LilacSat-2 FM transponder was activated at 2230 UTC Tuesday, with 200mW transmitter power. The 144.390 MHz APRS digipeater is off, and the FM transponder downlink is now set at 437.200 MHz.

[amsat-bb] !!! Update your LilacSat-2 Frequency Table Please !!!

More information at:

Radio Info | LilacSat

Again, good luck!
Checked out your web web page pretty cool,like the wall paper going to work this sat soon with my arrow can't wait 73's.......................

wd9ewk

Checked out your web web page pretty cool,like the wall paper going to work this sat soon with my arrow can't wait 73's.......................

LilacSat-2's FM transponder shut off sometime early this morning. There were reports on the US east coast of it working, and a few contacts were made. One station reported being able to work the transponder with a 5-watt Yaesu FT-817ND, where I could not get through last night with anything less than 50 watts - and the satellite went almost directly over me last night in the Phoenix AZ area!

I'm also hoping for some of the other XW-2 (CAS-3) satellites with linear transponders for SSB/CW operation will be made available. It has been interesting to work these satellites, when they are all very close to each other in orbit.

73!

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
LilacSat-2's FM transponder shut off sometime early this morning. There were reports on the US east coast of it working, and a few contacts were made. One station reported being able to work the transponder with a 5-watt Yaesu FT-817ND, where I could not get through last night with anything less than 50 watts - and the satellite went almost directly over me last night in the Phoenix AZ area!

I'm also hoping for some of the other XW-2 (CAS-3) satellites with linear transponders for SSB/CW operation will be made available. It has been interesting to work these satellites, when they are all very close to each other in orbit.

73!
Where are you getting your Keps from i have been looking........

wd9ewk

Where are you getting your Keps from i have been looking........

I have been using the "Last 30 Days' Launches" set from Celestrak:

http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/tle-new.txt

This has some of the satellites by their XW-2_ name, and others by the 2015-049_ designator until they have been conclusively identified, the 2015-049_ designator will be replaced by the satellite name. This set is one of the element sets that the AmsatDroid Free app on my Nexus 5 phone can download, and is the one I have been using for the past few days.

Other elements sets from Celestrak are available at:

http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/

wd9ewk

Thanks i seen your post on QRZ.com thanks for the info.......

Glad to help!

There was a tweet earlier this morning by BG2BHC, a member of the LilacSat-2 team, announcing that the FM repeater on that satellite (uplink 144.350 MHz FM, no CTCSS/PL; downlink 437.200 MHz FM +/- for Doppler - a change from the downlink frequency originally announced, 437.225 MHz) would be activated three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday), starting around 2200 UTC, for 24 hours at a time. Keep in mind that the 144.350 MHz FM uplink frequency is not in the internationally-recognized 2m amateur satellite subband at 145.800-146.000 MHz, although using 144.350 MHz for amateur satellites is permitted in the international radio regulations (amateur satellites can use 144-146 MHz, according to those regulations). Listening around that uplink frequency before transmitting to the satellite is advised, in case there is activity already using that frequency for other purposes which may be permitted in local band plans.

73!

Attachments

• LilacSat2_FM_repeater_schedule-BG2BHC.jpg
    LilacSat2_FM_repeater_schedule-BG2BHC.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 596
Status
Not open for further replies.