International Space Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deboradio

I recently got me a IC R6.

I was wondering what is needed to be able to pick up a signal from the ISS.

Apart from the over fly times, the correct frequencies 145.800 MHz FM and 143.625 MHz FM, clear line of sight, what else would be necessary? I suspect that the stock antenna is inadequate.

What type of antenna would be good?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have an R6 and love it; it's one of the best receivers I have. Any good whip will do for listening to the ISS, like the Diamond SRH77-CA, or anything longer than the stock antenna. Honestly I've never used the stock antenna.

The astronauts aren't often on voice, so also listen on 145.825 for APRS packet data. If APRS is active, then you'll hear packet data even before the pass rises.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And from what I've read, don't hold the radio straight up - laying it flat is the way to go. You don't want a 'dead zone' if the Station is overhead or nearly so

Mike

Deboradio

Thanks....I will try these ideas...I have a Diamond RH951S whip antenna but I need the BNC connector...I am waiting for it come by the post...

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I moved this to the Space and Satellite forum for better visibility and it isn't Icom specific.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
And from what I've read, don't hold the radio straight up - laying it flat is the way to go.
For the ISS, I kinda wave it around slowly as if I'm a swordfighter. But most of the time it's at an angle that corresponds with best viewing of the display, like roughly 45 degrees.

Now for UHF pirate radio (i.e. 255.550), laying it flat does work the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.