Ineternational Space Station Radio Freqs. ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker44

Hello, here recently I have been interested in maybe either working or maybe just listening to at least the International Space Station. I seem to be running into a large amount of posted Frequency information posted on many web sites and some of it is a little confusing on the (Transmitt) and (Receive ) Frequencies.
Some of the information maybe old and no longer in use.
This is my latest understanding of Up Links and Down Links .
Up Link ----The frequency I transmitt on.
Down Link ----The frequency the Space Station transmitts on, and I listen to.
I hope thats right, if not please let me know. ????

Heres the latest Frequency list I can seem to make any sence of, makeing allowence for the Doppler effect.
INSS Rx Receive Freq. (Frequency I would Transmitt on----Up Link
(437.800)-----------145.800----Down Link freqency I would listen to on all in the list.
Not sure if a PL is needed with these or not. ????

Something else I ran across was this set of Frequemcies.
Up Link-----144.490-------(PL 67.0) My Transmitt Freq.
Down Link----145.800----Space Stations transmitt Freq.
Not sure what the differences is with these and the others Iist above, other than the Up Link freq. are UHF.
I may have these in reverse , just not sure ????
TNX any help for a better set up list of Frequencies would be great.
Tracker44

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
From the AMSAT web site: Contact the ISS - ARISS

-------------------------
Frequencies in Use

The following frequencies are currently used for Amateur Radio ISS contacts (QSOs):

Voice and SSTV Downlink: 145.80 (Worldwide)
Voice Uplink: 144.49 for ITU Regions 2 and 3 (The Americas, and the Pacific and Southern Asia)
Voice Uplink: 145.20 for ITU Region 1 (Europe, Russia and Africa)

VHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 145.825 (Worldwide)
UHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 437.550

UHF/VHF Repeater Uplink: 437.80
UHF/VHF Repeater Downlink: 145.80
---------------------------

Note that you'll probably only have luck on the packet and repeater frequencies. The staton members don't spend much time on the air. When they do, it's usually via pre-arranged schedules.

Tracker44

TNX jwt873 and wtp for the information..
Do you have to scroll thru a string of frequencies as the pass over is taking place, I guess you call it the Doppler effect ????

Tracker44

Maybe I am getting the space station confused with the Birds (Satilites ) useing a doppler exercise.

wtp

not for me

I use an old pro 2001 to listen to the packet on 145.825 .
1980's technology and it works fine. I try to cut it down from 16 channels scanning to 2 or 3
it scans at 16 channels a second but the burst only lasts less than 1 second.

paulears

Frequency Modulation is pretty immune to the centre frequency shifting a little off it's centre, but with USB then you need to track the source if it comes towards you, as the apparent frequency goes up, and then down again as it goes away. Most tricky when the track is straight towards you, but much less so when the source is tracking parallel to your position.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
The freq goes higher as it approaches your location and goes lower in freq as it moves past you... As i remember it was +- 15 kc or so.....

Tracker44

TNX, thats good to know. Never really looked at it that way. Dont know if I will ever work the Space Station or not but it would be nice to maybe hear some communications from it.
It seems that they usually do QSOs with schools.
TNX again Tracker44

KF4UWL

Hello, here recently I have been interested in maybe either working or maybe just listening to at least the International Space Station. I seem to be running into a large amount of posted Frequency information posted on many web sites and some of it is a little confusing on the (Transmitt) and (Receive ) Frequencies.
Some of the information maybe old and no longer in use.
This is my latest understanding of Up Links and Down Links .
Up Link ----The frequency I transmitt on.
Down Link ----The frequency the Space Station transmitts on, and I listen to.
I hope thats right, if not please let me know. ????

Heres the latest Frequency list I can seem to make any sence of, makeing allowence for the Doppler effect.
INSS Rx Receive Freq. (Frequency I would Transmitt on----Up Link
(437.800)-----------145.800----Down Link freqency I would listen to on all in the list.
Not sure if a PL is needed with these or not. ????

Something else I ran across was this set of Frequemcies.
Up Link-----144.490-------(PL 67.0) My Transmitt Freq.
Down Link----145.800----Space Stations transmitt Freq.
Not sure what the differences is with these and the others Iist above, other than the Up Link freq. are UHF.
I may have these in reverse , just not sure ????
TNX any help for a better set up list of Frequencies would be great.
Tracker44

For amateur bands use this info.
Frequencies in Use

The following frequencies are currently used for Amateur Radio ISS contacts (QSOs): Voice and SSTV Downlink: 145.80 (Worldwide)
Voice Uplink: 144.49 for ITU Regions 2 and 3 (The Americas, and the Pacific and Southern Asia)
Voice Uplink: 145.20 for ITU Region 1 (Europe, Russia and Africa)
VHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 145.825 (Worldwide)
UHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 437.550
UHF/VHF Repeater Uplink: 437.80
UHF/VHF Repeater Downlink: 145.80

Contact the ISS - ARISS

Tracker44

TNX , kf4uwl, I beleive I will take out all the other Freqs. but these and give that a try.
TNX again.

wtp

but remember

In satellite telecommunication, a downlink is the link from a satellite down to one or more ground stations or receivers, and an uplink is the link from a ground station up to a satellite
if you listen to the uplink you could be hearing your neighbor trying to contact the station.
an uplink/downlink means that there is a delay as the station retransmits the signal..
packet signal up and mirrored back down.

Tracker44

TNX wtp, I am going to print that info out and hang on to it.
Is it really necessary to program all the Doppler Frequencies in you radio ????
On one of the u-tube Space Station contacts I dont really see the operator doing any ajusting for it.
TNX

wd9ewk

Is it really necessary to program all the Doppler Frequencies in you radio ????

The short answer is "Depends on the radio".

Some radios have sharper receive filters, where it helps to program the frequencies above and below the nominal frequencies. If you listen in on the ISS side of a scheduled contact with a school or other group, or when the SSTV transmissions are taking place, these are good times to learn if your radios need to have the additional frequencies programmed to clearly hear the ISS for an entire pass.

For example... my Kenwood TH-D72A can listen to the ISS on 145.800 MHz from start to finish during a pass, without needing to use 145.795 and/or 145.805 MHz. My Wouxun KG-UV9D, on the other hand, has sharper receive filtering than the TH-D72A. At the start of an ISS pass for SSTV or a scheduled voice contact, I start listening on 145.8025 MHz for the first 1/3 of a pass. For the middle 1/3 of a pass, I tune down to 145.800 MHz. For the last 1/3 of a pass, I'm on 145.7975 MHz. I'm using "wide" FM on the Wouxun HT, but its receive filtering is sharper than most Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu amateur gear that operates at 2m FM.

On one of the u-tube Space Station contacts I dont really see the operator doing any ajusting for it.TNX

ISS crews are not going to adjust their radios. It is up to those on the ground trying to work the ISS crewmember to make any adjustments to be heard up there. Very few of the crewmembers ever learn much about the radios they use in order to play around with those radios like a ham operator would. Some of the radios used on the ISS are converted commercial HTs, and don't provide access to a VFO like you'd normally see on amateur gear.

Good luck!

Tracker44

TNX wd9ewk for the information. Right now I have all the frequencies programed in my Yaesu FT60 and my Yaesu 7900 mobil. Which can, allowing for the Doppler effect can generate nice size list. Listing all the 440 MHz to 2 meter split and allowing for the Doppler effect and vice versa is a lot .
I was thinking about cutting some of that out and just use a few to listen for it on.
I really for some reason dont believe all those are necessary.
I like the few you have listed . I never have worked with trying to hear it or work it so all of this is new. I have never even herd the station so my interest is getting hard to hold on to , but I would like to leave just enough frequencies to at least hear it.
TNX again and take care.

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
You not going to hear to much voice transmission from the ISS they most of the time schedule those transmission's but the Packet is all was on,why don't you try some of the (LEO) SAT'S like AO-85 witch is a full FM repeater just go to amsat.org for more info......

Tracker44

TNX kb5zcs , for the information and the suggestion. I believe I will just do that , and maybe just leave a few ISS frequencies in rig just in case.
Is AO-85 is that one of the FOX-1 satilites ????
I think that they may be amoung some of the latest sent up ??
TNX again .

Status
Not open for further replies.