137,5MHz antenna questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

osvold

Hello all,
I am bloody beginner in the radio area. Few days ago, a friend of mine pointed me to an article about possibility to receive weather satellite images with an RTL-SDR dongle. I was really hooked, I was not aware that something like that is possible. I have one dongle by chance, I used for DVB-T reception, and lucky enough, the dongle is one with the right chipset. So, I downloaded SDR# a tested the dongle with air traffic listening. For satellite reception tough, I do not have the right antenna, so I browsed internet and found several articles about QFH antennas. As I have a 3D printer, I designed my own construction of the antenna, the biggest benefit is (imho) that you can align the parts of the antenna very easily and that the parts can be fixed in place with hot glue gun, so the construction is very easy also for people without workshop (in fact, the only tools you need is solder iron, drill and hot glue gun). If you are interested in the design (still work in progress) check this link please. QFH antenna 137.5MHz by osvold - Thingiverse The antenna works, I was able to hear NOAA 15 yesterday, the antenna was positioned in dense urban area, where just part of the sky is visible, I was not able to decode images yet, because I am still in testing and learning phase.
Now, as beginner, I have lot of questions.

1) Coaxial impedance.
I know that the amateur radio equipment usually uses 50ohm components. I guess, that the RTL-SDR dongle uses 75ohm, because the intended usage is for DVB-T. So, it is right to use 75ohm coaxial cable for signal feed, please? (Somewhere, I did read that the loss between 75 and 50 is just 0.2dB so that should be anyway marginal)

2) Material used
I do not want to use copper tubing. My aim is to be able to create cheap antenna, which can be easily built. Work copper tubing is not easy, and the material is very expensive. So, I decided to use wire. In some guides, people used coaxial cables, in others aluminium wires, I used wires for connecting reproboxes. The disadvantage of this wire is, they do not hold shape, so the helical form of the antenna is not as it should be. So, my question is, what is the best and yet affordable material for QFH antenna, please?

3) Dimensions of the antenna
The antenna should be tuned for 137,5MHz. The dimensions are the biggest issue. I based my design on dimensions from those links: A QFH antenna for the weather satellite band and http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wxsatellite/cvl-qfh.pdf
So, according to this, the longer loop is 2443 mm, the shorter is 2216mm. Well, then, there is also a (partially) functional QFH calculator here: Quadrifilar helicoidal antenna - Javascript on-line calculator and when I enter the data from the 2 links above, I do get very different results :/.
Last but not least, there are the theoretical papers from Mr.R.W.Hollander Documenten and guess what, again, completely different dimensions. Now, as I have no tools to measure, how well my antenna works, and I would like to create version, which is really optimal, what dimensions are the right ones?

4) The actual length of the loops
How is this measured? In theory, there are 2 loops, but in fact, both those loops are interconnected, so 1 big loop exists instead. So, my question is, where are the dimensions measured? Do you take in account also the length of the connection at the top of the antenna or not? (in other words, the length of the long loop + length of the small loop is equal to the length of the long loop wire + length of the small loop wire + length of the connection?)

I will be gratefull for any tips, thanks in advance.

ab5r

OSVOLD, you seem to be answering your own questions. Wire is perfectly OK. That is what is on my QFH antenna. All the links that you provide should be sufficient in getting you an good antenna. 50 or 75 ohm coax if fine for receiving. Keep it as short as possible as you may require. Software is important and is suggest Wxtoimg.

No need to get TOO technical, unless you are planning a more professional approach with tracking Yagi antennas etc. Just have FUN.

osvold

137.5 no more active, yes, thats interesting topic. I am aware of this. But i took 137.5 MHz as frequency, which is in the middle of the used frequencies for the weather satellites. In my beginner naivity, i hoped, that the antenna will work good also for 137.1, 137.620 and 137.9125 MHz. Anyway, the difference in the lenght of the long loop is just 14mm (the long loop is around 2400 mm) and in home workshop, it is allmost impossible to achieve milimeter precision. Further influence is for sure from the part of the connection part between the loops and the balun.
Am i wrong? Should i have designed antenna for every specific satellite? Whats the signal loss, when using 137.5 MHz antenna on 137.1 satellite, pleasE?

ab5r

Personally, I do not see a need for a Balun. Yes, Your antenna cut for 137.5 is fine. An antenna usually has a certain amount of bandwidth which would include all your desired satellites. I understand the problem with converting mm to inches. Even at that, you will probably end up with a decimal after conversion and would have to guess. An old saying: "Don't sweat the small stuff."

Build your antenna as best you can and see how it works. I have a QFH antenna that I bought (sorry, I don't remember where) and love it. I have had a commercial turnstile type before and it was not near as good. I do not use a LNA. The Wxtoimg software allows degree angles for reception limits. So, reaching out beyond my preset limits is not needed or desired.

You may email, if you wish, and keep the private conversation off this site. ( gp_ab5r at outlook dot com). Regards, Jerry

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
An antenna 'cut' for 137.5 will work just fine. I have picked up the weather 'birds' with a simple 1/4 wave vertical antenna for the 2 meter ham band. One built for satellites will work better of course. you are actually more likely to be limited by ground based transmitters in your area.

When building antennas (or anything else) the closer the better but if you are a little off you are not likely to notice on receive. in fact, other metal in the 'field' may detune the antenna-other than the mounting hardware keep the antenna in open space for a meter or two.

Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.