Total Noob to Space Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAGANC412912

I am a new born to Space monitoring. I just want to hear voice transmissions from the ISS, Satellites, and possibly non encrypted military. I'm also wondering what I possibly would hear from them and if I can use a stock antenna to receive.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Where do I start.. Ok first things first, download a program to track the satellites you may be interested in. There are also several websites that will allow you to track the satellites you may find interesting.

for the ISS information can be found here : Contact the ISS - ARISS
you can try with your stock antenna-rather than keeping the antenna vertical, keep it broadside to where the ISS is in the sky(assuming you are using a handheld).

some of the other 'birds' can be received with just a handheld scanner, but a better antenna (made for satellite work -lots of plans on the 'net if you are inclined) will add greatly to your ability. Most conventional antennas 'point' to the horizon and are 'deaf' toward the sky as most monitoring is between points on earth. If you can hear the ISS (even the digipeater) you can also hear the weather sats in the 137 range -with some software you can get pictures. After that, it depends on your interests and how far you want to go.

Good luck
Never stop learning

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Satellites, and possibly non encrypted military.
hmm in my region all UHF Satcom non english / german Voice. Sound like Pirates.

Status
Not open for further replies.