ARISS, How Active?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke8abo

I just bought an Arrow LEO satellite. So far I've only messed with ARISS VHF a couple times but luck hasn't been on my side yet. I'm TXing on 144.49 and receiving on 145.8. Tonight the ISS was visible and I was easily able to keep my YAGI on it. Elevation of maybe 30 degrees. I heard nothing and I wasn't able to "Kerplunk" it. I'm using a 5W Baofeng deal so I'm not that surprised TX didn't work. If I can get receive down I may pull my mobile out. But, how active is the ISS repeater nowadays? I've seen Youtube videos were there are contacts piled up, but I'm not sure if it's always like that. Are the odds good I'll hear other amateurs on a clear night? Next time, I'm also going to check the APRS downlink at 145.825, just to see if I can hear some chatter. Does APRS always downlink or just when the station receives a packet?

Also, are there any other satellites I might be able to hit with my arrow from Cincinnati?

kd7mxi

I just bought an Arrow LEO satellite. So far I've only messed with ARISS VHF a couple times but luck hasn't been on my side yet. I'm TXing on 144.49 and receiving on 145.8. Tonight the ISS was visible and I was easily able to keep my YAGI on it. Elevation of maybe 30 degrees. I heard nothing and I wasn't able to "Kerplunk" it. I'm using a 5W Baofeng deal so I'm not that surprised TX didn't work. If I can get receive down I may pull my mobile out. But, how active is the ISS repeater nowadays? I've seen Youtube videos were there are contacts piled up, but I'm not sure if it's always like that. Are the odds good I'll hear other amateurs on a clear night? Next time, I'm also going to check the APRS downlink at 145.825, just to see if I can hear some chatter. Does APRS always downlink or just when the station receives a packet?

Also, are there any other satellites I might be able to hit with my arrow from Cincinnati?

talk in for repeater is on uhf ,,,, the vhf I think is only for talking direct to iss crew

ke8abo

KD7MXI, thanks for the reply. Taking another look at the frequencies page on the Ariss site, it would seem that you're right about that. It clearly lists UHF/VHF repeater seperate from the uplink/downlink frequencies. My cause for confusion was, if this was for contacting the ISS, why have a separate uplink and downlink and not just use simplex? I'm sure they've got a reason I'm just not sure what. I should get a diplexer.

I'm still wondering if someone can give me an idea how busy the repeater is? Am I likely to hear chatter next time I try? Is APRS constantly downlinking? Or just when someone uplinks? Any SSTV events happening soon?

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Check out amsat.org for a list of FM 'birds' that are LEO (low earth orbit). While it is nice to have full duplex capability, it is not absolutely necessary. The Amsat site will also have tips- hearing the bird will be the problem. I would start by listening for the beacons as listed. If you can't hear em you can't work them.

For the most part, there is usually enough activity on the satellites to make sure you receiver is up to it without having to transmit 'in the blind'.

Good luck and have fun

kma371

QRT

This is a good site with user generated reports on activity.

ISS Fan Club | get in touch with the International Space Station

ke8abo

wyShack and kma371, thanks also for the information. It looks like they were doing SSTV a few days ago, probably still are, so I feel like I should have heard something. I do have my squelch all the way down. Maybe the UV5R just isn't that sensitive. Might try a scanner instead, which seems to do pretty well pulling in weak signals. or maybe pull out my mobile, that's just a big hassle.

I'm new and I've still got to get my replies approved, so my responses are a bit slow.

kd7mxi

wyShack and kma371, thanks also for the information. It looks like they were doing SSTV a few days ago, probably still are, so I feel like I should have heard something. I do have my squelch all the way down. Maybe the UV5R just isn't that sensitive. Might try a scanner instead, which seems to do pretty well pulling in weak signals. or maybe pull out my mobile, that's just a big hassle.

I'm new and I've still got to get my replies approved, so my responses are a bit slow.

if it was on 145.825 ,, it was most likely aprs data ,,,

ke8abo

There was a really great pass last night, almost directly overhead with clear skies. I was able to hear a couple of APRS packets (using a scanner rather than HT, since I'm receive only at the moment anyway and the sensitivity seems to be better). I couldn't get a good recording to try to decode the packets, but its something. I thought I may have heard something on 145.8 too, but it was hidden in the noise. I'm thinking that would have been SSTV. Maybe my 3 element Arrow isn't quite up to the task? They did sell a longer version too.

wd9ewk

is that why there is no aprs data showing up on my yaesu? ,,, tried twice wen I heard data to get into the bird but no success

Did you change your default packet path to ARISS (or VIA ARISS - I forget how Yaesu does it on its APRS-ready radios)? If you didn't, and you had the normal path - something like WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 - your packets won't ever get through the ISS digipeater. Kenwood radios like the TH-D72A I have will allow you to store more than one path, and change them when needed for different purposes. I use the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 path for terrestrial work (usually when driving around and want to have my route picked up by APRS), and ARISS for the ISS or NO-84 satellites (when NO-84's digipeater is active).

By the way, you can visit http://ariss.net to see packets that have been retransmitted by the ISS packet digipeater and picked up by ground stations. This is a great way to see that others heard you through the ISS, and to confirm that the ISS digipeater is operational.

Good luck!

kd7mxi

Did you change your default packet path to ARISS (or VIA ARISS - I forget how Yaesu does it on its APRS-ready radios)? If you didn't, and you had the normal path - something like WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 - your packets won't ever get through the ISS digipeater. Kenwood radios like the TH-D72A I have will allow you to store more than one path, and change them when needed for different purposes. I use the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 path for terrestrial work (usually when driving around and want to have my route picked up by APRS), and ARISS for the ISS or NO-84 satellites (when NO-84's digipeater is active).

By the way, you can visit Amateur Radio Stations heard via ISS to see packets that have been retransmitted by the ISS packet digipeater and picked up by ground stations. This is a great way to see that others heard you through the ISS, and to confirm that the ISS digipeater is operational.

Good luck!

ive tried that plus the calls aprs.org, nasa , the iss aprs log page shows ,,, etc ,,,, on 145.825

WHAT PATH DO I USE? . All APRS satellites and the ISS support the generic paths of ARISS or APRSAT. Since all of these satellites supports the same generic paths (when properly configured), this means you can operate either ISS or PCsat or PSAT without reconfiguring your TNC! Just set your UNPROTO path to APRS VIA ARISS and it should work with all APRS birds.

RS0ISS / ARISS / APRSAT / havnt tries the via path phrase ,,, do I place APRS IN FIRST HOP then ARISS IN SECOND HOP

Last edited:

kd7mxi

ive tried that plus the calls aprs.org, nasa , the iss aprs log page shows ,,, etc ,,,, on 145.825

WHAT PATH DO I USE? . All APRS satellites and the ISS support the generic paths of ARISS or APRSAT. Since all of these satellites supports the same generic paths (when properly configured), this means you can operate either ISS or PCsat or PSAT without reconfiguring your TNC! Just set your UNPROTO path to APRS VIA ARISS and it should work with all APRS birds.

RS0ISS / ARISS / APRSAT / havnt tries the via path phrase ,,, do I place APRS IN FIRST HOP then ARISS IN SECOND HOP

VX-8G

wd9ewk

I saw your other message where you said you have a VX-8G (VX-8GR). Thanks! I used to have one of those HTs, but sold it when the TH-D72A came on the market in late 2010. I was able to download the PDF manual to confirm how to set that up. The VX-8GR supports multiple packet paths, so you can switch between the normal WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 type path for terrestrial work vs. using ARISS for the ISS and the NO-84 satellite when its APRS digipeater is active.

For the APRS/GPS set mode item 16 (DIGI PATH), pick an empty path from the listing (you should have 8, including one that is OFF). Put ARISS in the first hop. You don't need anything in the second hop, but you can put stuff there if you like - grid locator, name, QTH (if it fits in the space provided), etc. It isn't recommended to use specific call signs for the ISS and NO-84, since ARISS is recognized by both for the digipeaters. For the ISS, it is possible that the packet system would use a different call sign in the future, where ARISS should be supported no matter which part of the station has the packet system and under possibly other call signs.

When you do that, and have selected ARISS as the DIGI PATH, then look for an ISS pass. You can use other items in that APRS/GPS set mode to define how often you want the beacon to be transmitted. Once a minute is usually a good number. Or go with MANUAL for the BEACON TX (item 14) value, and use the WIRES/TX PO button to send your beacon whenever you want. I don't remember if you can set an automatic beacon, and still use the WIRES/TX PO button to manually send beacons. I didn't use my VX-8GR with the ISS, so I don't have any first-hand experiences with it and the ISS. I liked the radio, but wished Yaesu didn't limit the packet TNC in the radio to just APRS (Kenwood's TH-D72A can be connected to a computer or other device with USB cable, and its TNC can be used by external software).

Good luck!

kd7mxi

I saw your other message where you said you have a VX-8G (VX-8GR). Thanks! I used to have one of those HTs, but sold it when the TH-D72A came on the market in late 2010. I was able to download the PDF manual to confirm how to set that up. The VX-8GR supports multiple packet paths, so you can switch between the normal WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 type path for terrestrial work vs. using ARISS for the ISS and the NO-84 satellite when its APRS digipeater is active.

For the APRS/GPS set mode item 16 (DIGI PATH), pick an empty path from the listing (you should have 8, including one that is OFF). Put ARISS in the first hop. You don't need anything in the second hop, but you can put stuff there if you like - grid locator, name, QTH (if it fits in the space provided), etc. It isn't recommended to use specific call signs for the ISS and NO-84, since ARISS is recognized by both for the digipeaters. For the ISS, it is possible that the packet system would use a different call sign in the future, where ARISS should be supported no matter which part of the station has the packet system and under possibly other call signs.

When you do that, and have selected ARISS as the DIGI PATH, then look for an ISS pass. You can use other items in that APRS/GPS set mode to define how often you want the beacon to be transmitted. Once a minute is usually a good number. Or go with MANUAL for the BEACON TX (item 14) value, and use the WIRES/TX PO button to send your beacon whenever you want. I don't remember if you can set an automatic beacon, and still use the WIRES/TX PO button to manually send beacons. I didn't use my VX-8GR with the ISS, so I don't have any first-hand experiences with it and the ISS. I liked the radio, but wished Yaesu didn't limit the packet TNC in the radio to just APRS (Kenwood's TH-D72A can be connected to a computer or other device with USB cable, and its TNC can be used by external software).

Good luck!

that's what I figured ,, ive always manual tx with the beacon tx button ,, and in path ive tried ARISS / APRSAT , OTHER PATHS FOLKS ARE KNOWN TO HAVE SUCCESS WITH ..... there are at least 4 for the iss that are supposed to work ,,,, the two on the aprs site are ARISS and APRSAT ,,, iss aprs logging site has others in the paths that others make work with main one being the Russian call ... ive noticed there hops are set at 4 or more in a lot of there setups with a * showing successful hop only on the Russian call ,,, my radio does only 2 ,,, OTHER APRS ISS PERSONS SAY AUTO BEACON IS RUDE AND A BIG NO NO

Last edited:

kd7mxi

bright pass tonight , directly overhead ,,,,,, no strong aprs signals ,,,, only weak distant signals likely earth based stations I couldn't decode

wd9ewk

bright pass tonight , directly overhead ,,,,,, no strong aprs signals ,,,, only weak distant signals likely earth based stations I couldn't decode

I could only clearly decode the packet signals from the ISS while it was at least 30 degrees above the horizon. It passed almost directly over the Phoenix area. I copied signals from KG6FIY in southern California, NP4JV-9 in southern Arizona. N0VWX in Colorado, and K5UBQ in Texas. I received an APRS message from KG6FIY, and sent messages to KG6FIY and NP4JV-9. At other times, I could hear the signals sound like ISS packet, but my TH-D72A would not decode them. The downlink sounded better over the weekend than it did tonight.

While we have these evening ISS passes, I may try to work them during the rest of this week and next weekend. I use WD9EWK-9 as my packet call sign, the same call sign I use when I'm driving around and using the terrestrial APRS network.

73!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I could only clearly decode the packet signals from the ISS while it was at least 30 degrees above the horizon. It passed almost directly over the Phoenix area. I copied signals from KG6FIY in southern California, NP4JV-9 in southern Arizona. N0VWX in Colorado, and K5UBQ in Texas. I received an APRS message from KG6FIY, and sent messages to KG6FIY and NP4JV-9. At other times, I could hear the signals sound like ISS packet, but my TH-D72A would not decode them. The downlink sounded better over the weekend than it did tonight.

While we have these evening ISS passes, I may try to work them during the rest of this week and next weekend. I use WD9EWK-9 as my packet call sign, the same call sign I use when I'm driving around and using the terrestrial APRS network.

73!

Do not forget to account for Doppler shift. It will appear higher in frequency as it closes on your position, then appear lower in frequency as it moves away from your position.

wd9ewk

Do not forget to account for Doppler shift. It will appear higher in frequency as it closes on your position, then appear lower in frequency as it moves away from your position.

For many amateur transceivers, the ISS packet can be worked at 145.825 MHz without needing to make any adjustments for Doppler. My TH-D72A's receiver front-end is broad enough to do just fine there. Other radios, especially the Chinese-made HTs and FM mobile transceivers, have tighter front-ends where making the slight frequency adjustments will be useful. For example, the first 2 or 3 minutes of an ISS pass would start on 145.8275 MHz on those radios, then tune down to 145.825 MHz for the next 2 or 3 minutes, and then 145.8225 MHz to hear the packet downlink from start to finish. Using an SDR receiver with software like HDSDR also is an option, where an AFC function is capable of automatically tracking the downlink without having to make any adjustments manually.

By the way, the ISS ham radios will be shut down later today (Friday, 17 June), in preparation for the return of a Soyuz craft and 3 crewmembers. The radios should be back on Sunday (19 June). In this case, listening on the non-ham ISS frequencies could be useful, depending on where you are in the world. For example, the normal Russian VHF FM voice channel 143.625 MHz might have some activity.

Good luck!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
By the way, the ISS ham radios will be shut down later today (Friday, 17 June), in preparation for the return of a Soyuz craft and 3 crewmembers. The radios should be back on Sunday (19 June). In this case, listening on the non-ham ISS frequencies could be useful, depending on where you are in the world. For example, the normal Russian VHF FM voice channel 143.625 MHz might have some activity.

Good luck!

I might have to try listening in on the comms. Thanks!

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.