RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > SATCOM - Space and Satellite Monitoring Forum


SATCOM - Space and Satellite Monitoring Forum - Forum for the discussion of the Space Shuttle, Satellites, Military Satcom, and Amateur Radio Satcom communications.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2017, 9:53 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38
Question Equipment that can receive a downlink at 2300 MHz?

Hello, I just got back into SATCOM reception.
My current scanner, a PRO-649, can only reach 800.000 MHz. I have a yagi that is configured for the 120 MHz - 137 MHz range. I'm trying to get a downlink from a decommissioned satellite at about 2300 MHz. What type of receiver can reach up to 2300 MHz / 2.3 GHz? Anything under $300-ish? What type of antenna would be suitable for this task?

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,117
Default

Some of the higher end communications receivers like the AOR AR-8200 and 8600 or the Icom R-8600 and a few others will cover your frequency range. Unless there is an SDR dongle that goes to 2.3GHz most receivers will run a bit more than $300. A lot of Wi-Fi antennas will cover 2.3GHz but you will need a large one with some gain and satellite downlinks are usually Right Hand Circular Polarization.

What satellite are you trying to get? I have a big flat panel military antenna from some satellite program that covers a 2.2 to 2.3GHz with RHCP and a receiver that covers that range.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfortress View Post
Hello, I just got back into SATCOM reception.
My current scanner, a PRO-649, can only reach 800.000 MHz. I have a yagi that is configured for the 120 MHz - 137 MHz range. I'm trying to get a downlink from a decommissioned satellite at about 2300 MHz. What type of receiver can reach up to 2300 MHz / 2.3 GHz? Anything under $300-ish? What type of antenna would be suitable for this task?

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 7:29 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38
Default

I'm trying to get a Nimbus 7 downlink at about 2300 MHz. But now I think it's useless. I need to find out whether Nimbus 7 works or not. I guess right now I want to get a GOES image downlink somewhere at 1600 MHz, along with a few older satellite downlinks at 136-137 MHz.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 10:05 AM
mancow's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.E. Kansas
Posts: 5,979
Default

HackRF goes to 6 GHz.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 4:28 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Newnan Georgia
Posts: 44
Default

Just a Question? What Are you guys listening to? Is it just Data?
What kind of Satcom Equipment is needed to monitor Satellites?
I have a Data Receiver and a satellite I pulled out of a bank years ago but dont know what it was used for
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 8:41 PM
VK3RX's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
I have a Data Receiver and a satellite I pulled out of a bank years ago but dont know what it was used for
Post a few pix - someone might recognise the equipment.

The pix of the satellite will be interesting
__________________
Damien VK3RX
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 9:16 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Newnan Georgia
Posts: 44
Default

It just days Novera s300 its in a storage unit http://novra.com/wp/wp-content/uploa...S300_600px.png
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38
Default

I'm trying to just get raw data from Nimbus 5/6/7 and one of the SOLRAD satellites that's still transmitting. I'm not sure if any of the Nimbus satellites still work. Who would I contact to see if they work, and if I can transmit to them? Would I need a license to transmit to a satellite?

Downlinks of Nimbus satellites are: 136.5 and 136.95 MHz, 1702.5 MHz, 1707.5 MHz, and 2273.5 MHz for Nimbus 7. I dunno how I can receive these downlinks. How would a downconverter work with my 120 MHz-137 MHz configured yagi?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 10:29 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,117
Default

You would need a license to transmit to a satellite and the uplinks are probably in a frequency range that you don't have equipment for. What would you want to transmit?

You might be able to find a downconverter that will work with your 120-137Mhz frequency range but your antenna will be useless on the 1700-2300MHz range.

On a similar topic, not sure where you are in MD but I've done some work at the Intelsat Mountainside Teleport near Hagerstown, MD. Look that up if you want to see a lot of satellite antennas.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfortress View Post
I'm trying to just get raw data from Nimbus 5/6/7 and one of the SOLRAD satellites that's still transmitting. I'm not sure if any of the Nimbus satellites still work. Who would I contact to see if they work, and if I can transmit to them? Would I need a license to transmit to a satellite?

Downlinks of Nimbus satellites are: 136.5 and 136.95 MHz, 1702.5 MHz, 1707.5 MHz, and 2273.5 MHz for Nimbus 7. I dunno how I can receive these downlinks. How would a downconverter work with my 120 MHz-137 MHz configured yagi?

Last edited by prcguy; 09-29-2017 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2017, 5:23 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38
Default

I remember reading in a forum here that you could use old decommissioned satellites for your own use with permission from the owner. What could I do with a decommissioned satellite with fairly simple equipment that is legal? Any ideas? And also, what license would I have to get? A ham license?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2017, 11:10 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,117
Default

An amateur will never get any permission to light up a commercial satellite, even if its decommissioned. I have a long carrier in the satellite broadcast industry and have mooched a lot of free satellite time but I or my company was fully licensed for what I uplinked.

One notable time was when I needed a satellite for a little research project and contacted a friend who was in charge of selling time on HSG-1 (later renamed PAS-22), which had failed to reach orbit and was slingshot around the moon and put into a geostationary but severely inclined orbit. I was allowed to uplink to a specific transponder for some research for several days at no cost. This satellite was otherwise operational and its owners were seeking customers with little luck from what I saw.

If anyone were allowed to use a decommissioned satellite, there would be literally thousands of people eager to take advantage of that. It just aint gonna happen.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfortress View Post
I remember reading in a forum here that you could use old decommissioned satellites for your own use with permission from the owner. What could I do with a decommissioned satellite with fairly simple equipment that is legal? Any ideas? And also, what license would I have to get? A ham license?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 14.020 MHz @ 30 wpm
Posts: 5,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfortress View Post
What could I do with a decommissioned satellite with fairly simple equipment that is legal? Any ideas? And also, what license would I have to get? A ham license?
Get your ham license, and you'll be able to use purpose-built amateur radio satellites you are allowed to actually talk through.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38
Default

Well, darn. I guess I'll stick to regular satellite downlink reception. How can I get the downlink of a satellite with a relatively weak signal, such as SOLRAD 7 I believe? I'm considering getting a BCT15X.

By the way, for all the advice and information everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 7:28 PM
kb5zcs's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Posts: 1,033
Default

Heres an link that may help you in your quest to receive Sat-Comms UHF-Satcom.com - The #1 online resource for VHF to EHF satellite reception and monitoring
__________________
http://www.qrz.com/db/kg5euu
Brownsville Digital Group A.R.C.
WORKING THE WORLD WITH 5 WATTS AND A RUBBER DUCK.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 8:38 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyfortress View Post
I'm trying to get a Nimbus 7 downlink at about 2300 MHz. But now I think it's useless. I need to find out whether Nimbus 7 works or not. I guess right now I want to get a GOES image downlink somewhere at 1600 MHz, along with a few older satellite downlinks at 136-137 MHz.
For reference, more information about Nimbus 7, including some frequencies. It mentions the satellite was turned off in 1995.
https://directory.eoportal.org/web/e...ons/n/nimbus-7
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2017, 9:43 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38
Default

I still don't get "turned off in 1995". The satellite still has to be transmitting something, especially telemetry. I personally never tried to get a downlink from any of the Nimbus satellites, as my scanner (a PRO-649) is a bit too weak. Hopefully this new BCT15X that I'm considering getting is going to be more "powerful". I have an antenna that is tuned specifically for 137 MHz - 145 MHz, but still works excellent from 120 MHz to 136 MHz.

And I should have no problem getting the downlinks from MILSATs with that frequency list link for the Atlantic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions