64 bit Windows XP Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Anyone running 64 bit Windows XP Professional? If so, what has been your experience running various scanner programming/control applications? In other words, what works, what doesn't?

Perhaps some of the developers will share their knowledge and experience.

Thanks!

DaveH

I recently got my new (used) slighty-older HP nc6000 laptop running
with XP Pro; discovered that keys for OEM and retail versions are not
compatible (machine was a refurb supplied with valid key but disk
wiped and no CD supplied...).

I've tried sound card applications TRUNK88, LTR-Analyzer, and
TrunkView (MPT1327) which seemed to work. Laptop sound input
is more touchy than desktop, had to use an attenuator cable (in
reality an inline volume control patch cord) to get good decoding.

I briefly tried serial-port/slicer applications but didn't get a response,
reason unknown. I'll get back to it shortly as I have my heart set on
being able to run all these applications on this machine.

Dave

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I have had exactly zero issues running Win 93, Win 95, ARC-160, and Freescan on a Windows Vista x64 machine. These also work fine for me with Windows 7 x64 running on a Macintosh.

Using USB cables or a serial-usb adapter give me no problems as well.

gman65

Premium Subscriber
Anyone running 64 bit Windows XP Professional? If so, what has been your experience running various scanner programming/control applications? In other words, what works, what doesn't?

Perhaps some of the developers will share their knowledge and experience.

Thanks!

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 on a Sony Vaio VGN-FW170J with no real problems with software or drivers. I'm using Win 96, Win 500 and PSR 500. The only thing I had to do differently was manually associate the program with the file extension within Windows. The button in Win 500 & 96 didn't work.

Greg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I went ahead and installed 64 bit Windows XP. My system is a HP xw9300 workstation, with dual AMD 64 Opterons, and 8GB of RAM. This went smoothly as expected, because the computer was actually designed with 64/XP in mind. All the hardware drivers were available from the HP site.

I ran tests on all the radio software I currently use, or might use in the future, and all went well.

32 bit applications are supported within 64/XP though WOW64. So far, so good. What doesn't work is any older 16 bit Windows applications, and some 32 bit applications that have 16 bit installers.

Although the computer seem to run great, I didn't see any noticable improvement in any applications. That is because none of the applications I run are written to take advantage of a 64 bit OS. I had a dual-boot 32/64 XP configuration, so it was easy to compare. Bottom line, I went back to running WinXP Pro 32 bit. A good case for, "If it works, don't fix it!"

Thanks to those who responded with your comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.