Uniden Radio Scanner XT TCL/TK for Unix, MAC & Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowa22

BCProgTool.tcl TCL/TK Tool

With TCL/TK 8.5 installed in your Operating system this tool will Program, Edit and Set your Uniden BC346XT, BCT15X, BCD396XT & BCD996XT Uniden Scanner Radios.
The Toolkit has been tested on BSD, Linux, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Windows XP/Win7, but should work with any Operating System that can run TCL/TK 8.5. The interfaces have been made so that they are generic and will run and display on any system.

Unfortunately due to a software bug in TCL/TK import from radioreference will not be available. However you can use copy and paste to copy from Radio Reference web pages to import Frequencies and TGID's.

Attachments

• A_main_screen.jpg
    A_main_screen.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 6,058
  • F_MOT_Screen1.jpg
    F_MOT_Screen1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7,228

kilowa22

HDMechanic

This is so cool that their is now a program for the mac.. Now if I could just get it to work with my serial adapter. I keep getting Unable to open Serial port mesage. Can anyone help me please????

kilowa22

This is so cool that their is now a program for the mac.. Now if I could just get it to work with my serial adapter. I keep getting Unable to open Serial port mesage. Can anyone help me please????

Is the serial adaptor installed with the driver properly in Mac?

Did you look up the disk location of the serial driver?

Open applications > utilities > terminal in the Finder
type
Code:
ls -l /dev/cu.*

When you run setup in the program it could be listed in the serial port list, if not copy and paste the serial
port file and directory to the Custom port, select the COM port speed.

kilowa22

Got the usb working now it just keeps freezing when i go to connect to scanner.

Does the XT radio COM port speed match the speed set in the setup screen settings?

If you have 115200 in the radio then select 115200 in the BCProg Setup screen.

kilowa22

Yes I have matched everything up. I am using the front port could that be the problem??

No, The problem port would be the rear port. Can you communicate with other devices that are connected to the USB serial device? Are you using the Uniden USB-1 Cable or a USB to Serial port USB convertor?

kilowa22

With the USB device plugged in run this command from the mac os x terminal:
Code:
ls -l /dev/cu.*
then copy & paste the results here.
In a text editor open then copy & paste the contents of BCProgTool.ini file in the bcprogtool folder.

HDMechanic

Kilowa22

Sorry never had a chance to mess with the program this week. Will play with it on the weekend or maybe tonight. I am using USB to Serial port USB convertor to communicate with the scanner threw the front of the scanner. I am using a Macbook Pro with snow leopard operating system. I would like to get the program working so that i don't have to use my old windows laptop which takes way to long to start and runs slow like a snail. Thanks for your help here it is much appreciated.
Thanks
HDMechanic

nanZor

Wow! Got it up and running for my 396XT - awesome.

I'm using a Belkin F5u409 usb/serial adapter with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:

Linux pavilion 2.6.32-32-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 20 21:54:21 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

I'm still playing around with it, and would love to get it to work on the latest Knoppix when I have time.

UPDATE: I had the time. Also working well on Knoppix 6.4.4 (persistent to a CF card)
Linux Microknoppix 2.6.37 #13 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 23 23:54:32 CET 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

I noticed that it said that it couldn't find "BWIDGET" so I added that package to the Ubuntu install.
With Knoppix, I tried without installing BWIDGET and it still worked so far. Wonder if that package is really needed?

I had to give /dev/TTYUSB0 more permissions than 755 which makes me uncomfortable. I'll do some work to find out why, but it works on Knoppix also.

Also, when it asks you to restart the program, I found it best to use the actual restart button, and not just shut it down and fire it back up.

Once again, a big thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Nice program. Good Job Keith :)

I primarily run Ubuntu on my home PC and dual-boot into Windows XP when I have to use a few Windows-only programs (mainly Freescan). It's great to see a program designed to run in Linux, and I'm sure you will make many mac owners happy as well. :)

Hi,
I keep getting an error message, "program mode on radio failed" after trying to add group to conventional system. I'm on BCT15X Uniden Bearcat Scanner. It was working yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nanZor

Hmm.. Sometimes when I tried to add a group to a conventional system, it would seem to take and then lockup with a request to restart the program. I dropped my serial port speed down to 19200 (in both the program and the 396) and all is well.

I'm not sure about your program mode failure error, but if I run across it, you'll be the first to know if I can fix it.

Linux Microknoppix 2.6.37 #13 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 23 23:54:32 CET 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yea I figured out that you can only have a certain number of groups per system. I'm now trying to figure out how to band plan for Westchester County NY on BCprogtool. It's a bit confusing. I can't hear anything with the standard 800 mhz plan. I'm not sure if that is the problem though.

quick67coupe

Premium Subscriber
Pasting Large Talk Groups

Quick question if anyone has run into this issue. When pasting a large section of talk groups its not possible to scroll to the end to save what was pasted. Is there a workaround or am i missing something obvious. That one small issue aside i do love this program.

oddyophile

Can bcprogtool edit existing groups?

A big thank-you to the author of bcprogtool! But I can't figure out how to edit the data already in the scanner.

I see how to add a new system or group, but I don't see how I can edit the channels of an existing system or group.

I see the systems are downloaded into CSV files - I could edit those to add my data (might be easier than pointing and clicking), but I don't see how to upload them back into the scanner.

Can bcprogtool do either of the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.