Help with FreeScan and my BCD396XT....!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaM

Premium Subscriber
I bought this scanner, downloaded the FreeScan software, got a serial-to-usb cable from Best Buy, installed the drivers, and now I'm stuck.

I've built the list of freq's I want to upload to my scanner, but whenever I try to do the upload function, I get a message that reads "Critical error, invalid response code or insufficient resources, aborting channel programming".

Any help would be appreciated!

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
I'm not exactly sure what you are connecting with that cable, but I think you may need the actual Uniden programming cable (or one of the reproductions discussed elsewhere in the forums) to program your scanner.
Good luck - be patient - you have a great scanner there!

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Check this out...

Press Menu on the left side of the scanner.

Scroll down to Settings and press down on the Volume knob.

Scroll down to Set Serial Port.

Press down on the Volume knob.

This will put you into the Serial Port Connection Speed Menu. Now just get into the FreeScan settings and match this setting up with the program setting and you should be good to go. I believe the scanners default setting is 4800 bps. And the programs default is set to 115200 bps. This is probably your problem. Off hand I can't tell you how to find the setting in FreeScan right now as I am on my Mac and FreeScan is on my Windows machine.

JoshuaM

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't have a serial port on my computer so I went to Best Buy and got a serial-to-USB adaptor to use with the supplied scanner code. So this might be a case where I can't use that adaptor, I have to have the actual Uniden cable? I wonder if the local Radio Shack would have that...I'd prefer not to wait for mailorder....

JoshuaM

Premium Subscriber
Press Menu on the left side of the scanner.

Scroll down to Settings and press down on the Volume knob.

Scroll down to Set Serial Port.

Press down on the Volume knob.

This will put you into the Serial Port Connection Speed Menu. Now just get into the FreeScan settings and match this setting up with the program setting and you should be good to go. I believe the scanners default setting is 4800 bps. And the programs default is set to 115200 bps. This is probably your problem. Off hand I can't tell you how to find the setting in FreeScan right now as I am on my Mac and FreeScan is on my Windows machine.

I just tried this and I'm still getting the same error (thanks though).

I do not have a serial port on my computer so I went to Best Buy and got a serial-to-USB adaptor so I could use the supplied scanner chord. If it is possible that this won't let me program my scanner, do you think the local Radio Shack would have the Uniden cable? I don't really want to wait on mailorder...

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
As far as I know the Uniden programming cable only comes with the USB end. You just may be up the creek so to speak. Also I believe this will be the only cable that will work. Can't just go an buy a cable that isn't specifically made for the scanner. This may also be the problem. I see Radio Shack carries the scanner so I would think they should probably have the cable too. I thought may cable came with the scanner, I may be wrong about that. And as for the serial port setting... All it is I guess is a figure of speech. I mean after all your just using this setting to set the upload and download speed from a port (USB) to the scanner. Have fun trying to find a computer today with a the called serial port!!!!

Last edited:

Clark

Help with FreeScan and my BCD396XT

Does Device Mgr. recognize the adapter and if so, which Com Port ?
Does Freescan find the 396XT on the same Com Port ?

Clarkj

JoshuaM

Premium Subscriber
Does Device Mgr. recognize the adapter and if so, which Com Port ?
Does Freescan find the 396XT on the same Com Port ?

Clarkj

I'll check that when I get home, I just left our Radio Shack, they don't have the cable. This is turning into a debacle.

cpuerror

Might want to try using the Auto Detect option in FS to see if it would pick up your scanner as well. It is under the COM Port setup screen.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Steady now. You have a great scanner and Freescan is awesome but it may take a bit to get traction on the learning curves for both.
If you end up waiting for a programming cable to be delivered like i did, there are ways you can still use your scanner with the factory settings. People on these forums (including me) can tell you how. Hang in there!

I'll check that when I get home, I just left our Radio Shack, they don't have the cable. This is turning into a debacle.

Last edited:

JoshuaM

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, just wanted to update you. While trying the things Clark and cpuerror mentioned (with my serial to USB adaptor) I was able to get it to upload all four of my groups! Now I just need to figure out how to get it to scan the freq's I uploaded. Whenver I hit "scan" it goes back to automatically scanning all the pre-existing alphabetized-by-state systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.