Win500 Remote Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

air2548

I have finally gotten to the point where I am ready to break down and ask this question. I have found some great help on this forum in reference to remote monitoring using Win500 software. With all the help I was successfully able to remote monitor and control within my home network from a second computer. My trouble now is when I try and go outside of my home network. I believe my problem may be in the wireless network settings however I am not an expert in this field thus I am asking for help. I dont believe I have the settings right and I am also not sure exactly which one to use as the IP address. I appreciate all the help you guys will give on this. Thanks.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I have finally gotten to the point where I am ready to break down and ask this question. I have found some great help on this forum in reference to remote monitoring using Win500 software. With all the help I was successfully able to remote monitor and control within my home network from a second computer. My trouble now is when I try and go outside of my home network. I believe my problem may be in the wireless network settings however I am not an expert in this field thus I am asking for help. I dont believe I have the settings right and I am also not sure exactly which one to use as the IP address. I appreciate all the help you guys will give on this. Thanks.

You need to make sure what ever port you are using is "forwarded" in your firewall and router settings. You'll have to read up on your router to figure out where/how to do that.

As far as the IP address, you want your external IP address (the one that does not start with 192). Use ipchicken.com on your streaming computer.

NYRHKY94

Tampabaynews is right on the money with their advice. Start by reading up on how port forwarding is configured in your router and use the port number you have set-up in the Win500 software (default port is 8086). When using the client to connect from outside of your home network, make sure to use the IP address assigned by your ISP. You can find that IP address right in your router or use a service like whatismyip.com, ipchicken.com etc.

Good luck!

air2548

Thank you guys for your help. I have tried what you suggested and it is still not working. I then went into further trouble shooting with directly connecting the modem to the computer and it still would not work. I have Verizon DSL and I do not know if maybe they block this ability or not. I am still able to connect to it within my network when at the beginning of testing and at the end of testing. I am still on the trial version of Win500 I do not know if this makes a difference, but I will not be buying this program unless I can get this feature working.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Is the port set to 80 by any chance? Many ISP's including Verizon block inbound port 80 traffic on residential customers.

Last edited:

air2548

No I am using the default port 8086. Do you think that it could just be grabbing the 80 and disregarding it. If so are their any other ports that are acceptable to try/use.

NYRHKY94

Air2548:

It would be helpful if you can tell us what model router you have through Verizon. Can you also tell us excatly how you configured port forwarding in that router (attaching a screen shot would be even better). You also may have to allow port 8086 as an exception in the Windows firewall on the computer that has Win500 installed.

NOTE: DSL and using the Win500 trial is not the cause. It typically is just a configuration issue related to one of the above areas.

air2548

I thought that it might be a configuration problem within the router so I removed the router from the network and hooked directly into the Verizon DSL modem which is not configurable on my end. I have made an exception in the windows firewall on the host computer for port 8086. I know that the windows firewall is probably not the issue as I am able to run it within my network on multiple computers. It is when I try to come in from the internet that I have my problems.

NYRHKY94

Can you let us know the make & model number of the DSL Modem and your Router. We should be able to get this to work for you, but will need to know the exact type of modem & router you have. I'm assuming you are using the IP address that Verizon assigned to your modem when you try and connect with the Win500 client via the internet? Using the internal IP address (192.x.x.x) will not work.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Not offering anything to OP's question but do commend those 3 that have.
IMO Win500 is by far the best software to use in Remote.
ScanControl would be second IMO but it has too many issues for setting up any scanner. However, like Win500 it does provide every available setting offered by the scanner during remote plus additional logging data to scanner and to a file.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Go to Open Port Check Tool and enter the port to see if it's open. There is nothing wrong with the software, it works as advertised. It's a configuring issue. Make sure the port is open first then we can go from there :)

Last edited:

air2548

Thanks for all the help so far. I know it is not a program issue but a configuration issue. I went to the open port check tool and it says that it could not see my service and the connection timed out. I am trying to attach a screen shot of my setting for you to see I have a netgear wgr614v9 router and a Verizon DSL modem 6100G.

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 392

scannerfreak

Database Admin
OK, so that's issue number one. Your port is closed. Do this:

Go to Start>RUN and type CMD. Then type ipconfig /all

What IP you see listed as IPv4 address is what should be listed in the Server IP spot for your port forward setting. Make sure they match. Also, are you using an anti virus program with a firewall? If so, which one.

If the IP's do not match, change the Server IP address to what is listed in CMD under IPv4 address. Then recheck to see if the port opened.

Also, it's best to setup a static IP address for your computer so the IPv4 address doesn't change on you if you reboot your computer/router.

There is a guide listed here:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WGR614/default.htm

Once you do all this let me know if the port opened. If not we need to look further. Once we get the port open we can work on setting up WIN500.

Edit: You can also try the port checker without the modem. That will tell you if the issue is with something with the computer. It's highly unlikely your ISP is blocking all ports so the issue isn't likely to be modem related..

Last edited:

air2548

I'm sorry but I don't mean to sound like an idiot here how can you tell that my port is closed. Also I did what you said and I had it right with the IP of 10.0.0.2

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Because if the port is open the port checker will say "success". It's timing out because it cannot see that port, which means the port is closed somewhere. Something somewhere is refusing the connection. Since it looks like you have the router setup correctly I'm guessing it's a firewall somewhere. Are you using an anti virus with a firewall?

Last edited:

air2548

I am using AVG free and I disabled it to test it after the previous post and it still was unable to connect. I wish I could find where it was being blocked from.

I don't know if you read in my previous posts that I was able to get Win500 working within my LAN I don't know if that helps you narrow down where it is being blocked from. Too confusing for me.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Also, looking at your screen shot closer, I *think* the bullet box to the left is suppose to have a dot in it if that service is active? Are you sure you have "enabled" checked in the setup above the "Service Name"?

You can try the open port checker with just the modem to see if it's open. Again, while it's possible, I highly doubt your ISP is blocking that port.

air2548

Probably as you were typing that I was testing it was direct connect to the modem and it was saying that it was not able to see it there as well.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
OK, something somewhere is refusing the connection. I'm not familiar with AVG at all, but some firewalls will continue to block connections on ports even when disabled. I'm not sure if AVG allows port exceptions, but I would start there by adding one if it does.

One of two things is likely happening

1. You don't have the Windows firewall port exception setup correctly
2. AVG is blocking the port

You can also try turning off Windows firewall if you haven't yet. Then see if that opens the port..

Last edited:

air2548

I have tried all those, I believe I have narrowed my problem down to the Verizon DSL modem. I may be placing a call into to them to try and figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.