PRO-95 Program Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow5

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased the cable and software from Radio Shack for the Pro-95. It clearly states that it is for the Pro-95 but I cant get it to communicate with the scanner. I have been told there is an update that is needed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

TES

You might want to try the FREE software from the acknowledged
GRE-made scanner expert Don Starr: Win95

Sure hope you didn't waste any time or money with the Jim Springer ScanCat garbage.

RadioMarkW

Oh, yes a cable update should be on the Shack's site under support for their stuff. Also be sure you have the right com port for your scanner cable. The number will be listed under your usb ports in your hardware details.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-95, WIN95, USB cable

I have purchased the cable and software from Radio Shack for the Pro-95. It clearly states that it is for the Pro-95 but I cant get it to communicate with the scanner. I have been told there is an update that is needed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Welcome to RadioReference.com!!! I suspect you have the USB cable. Just make sure the correct driver for the cable and your operating system is loaded. For example, use the Windows7 driver with W7, not the XP driver.

If the cable driver is installed; plug the cable into the computer and not the scanner. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager -> Ports and you should see it listed. That's where you'll learn what COM port has been assigned to the cable. Open up WIN95 and select the same port.

Power the scanner. Plug in the cable to the PC/IF jack. You should see a "CLONE MODE" message on the scanner display. Ignore what the scanner is telling you to do. Use the commands in WIN95 to upload and download with the scanner.

orms

I have been using the Win95 program to load my pro95 scanner for a while now. I recently bought a pro 84 scanner to take to the upcoming Nascar races. I was wondering if I can use the Win95 program to program this scanner also? If not is there any other good and free programs like win 95?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No you can't use Win95 on a PRO-84...however...

According to our criss cross on the wiki...

Popular Software for Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

There's a free Load83 program available on the PRO-84 Yahoo group (evidently software that works on the PRO-83 also works on the 84). But perhaps even better is PRO-83 Manager - which, if you have a premium subscription, will allow you to download data from our database. Unfortunately the link for that software is either down or changed.

A well structured Google search should turn it up Mike

cliftonlbaker

Premium Subscriber
hey I have a pro-95 scanner and it clearly states that it is for the Pro-95 but I cant get it to communicate with the scanner. I have a windows 7, can anyone help me

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN95 & PRO-95

You need to plug the USB cable into your computer, then go to Device Manager and see what COM port it was assigned. Then go into WIN95 and select that COM port.

doogie63

I'm trying to get win95 to program my PRO-95. I installed drivers for win7 and I see in device manager its on COM 5. I conf win95 for COM 5.

I have tried to upload and it looks like its uploading to scanner but then nothing there.
I then found someone .p95 file in case the one I created was wrong (never done this before) upload it but still does not show up on scanner.

If I try to download from scanner I get error, but upload seem to be writing but like I said nothing there from new p95 file.

What could I be doing wrong? Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You do need the correct cable made for a GRE scanner. There are now at least 3 that will work (2 are USB type and one is COM port type). Secondly, if you use a USB type cable you must have the correct software driver installed for that cable and your O/S.

Note that the PRO-95 does NOT use the "pigtail" that comes with the GRE cables.

doogie63

Device manager show up as

Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port(COM5)
with no errors

Driver Detail says:

Driver Provider: Prolific
Driver Date: 10/17/2013
Driver Version: 3.4.62.293

I have no "pigtail"

doogie63

Does anyone have link to drivers I should be using? I have tried a couple of driver from different places but non seem to wok.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.