Win500 Unpacking Error on VIsta 64-Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

I get the following error measage when trying bring up Win500 (any version) on my Vista 64-Bit machine. This is a recent issue, as I did not have this problem before on the same machine. Win500 opens up fine on my Vista 32-Bit & XP machines. Looking for advice on what may have changed to cause this issue on the Vista 64-Bit machine?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you got this message when you were trying to extract files from the .exe file, there's a comment on the Win500 page - and I agree - that you should NOT trust Windoze Explorer to unzip files correctly. It can and does corrupt files.

There are many very good unzipper programs out there - WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, probably quite a few I'm missing. Invest in one and save yourself some headaches. 7-Zip is freeware...

best regards..Mike

DonS

The O.P. above sent me a direct email. My response was:
It looks like that problem is caused by a recent Microsoft security update (KB2533623 on July 11). It seems to be causing that error on several applications.

To my knowledge, the only way to “fix” it is to remove that update. However, the update will likely be re-installed by Windows later, unless you turn off automatic updating.

Here is one thread I found on the problem and solution.

You can find more, if you Google: "error while unpacking program, code 2" KB2533623​

The O.P. replied back that the above solution worked.

NYRHKY94

As Don mentions above, uninstalling the Microsoft security update (KB2533623) from July 11 resolved the issue. Given that this issue just surfaced on this machine, it makes sense that it was something like a recent MS update. Thanks for the reply & tip Don!

P.S. Been using WinZip for more years than I can remember Mike (ka3jjz), but thanks for the reply also.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.