Programming Pro-164 with a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewyb

I just got my brand new Pro-164 in the mail. Does anyone know of options for programming if you have a Mac and not a PC?

djbrane

I am needing a new computer and am thinking of purchasing an Apple iMac.
I use WIN500, is it the same as below for it as well?

New to anything Mac, but was told I would never regret it if I got one. What is winbook?

N9JIG

Sheriff
There are 3 mainstream options for Mac users and radio software. I have written an article about this for ScannerMaster, you can view it at https://www.scannermaster.com/Mac_Users_s/575.htm

Basically you can run Windows via BootCamp, which isn't really emulation, it runs Windows directly thru the Mac hardware. This works on any Intel based Mac.

In addition you can run Parallels or Fusion, emulators that run within the Mac environment. Some newer Macs only work with Windows 7, older ones will work with XP versions. I have found that most scanner applications work just fine in any of these solutions, including Butel's ARC products, Pro96Com, Win500 and others.

All that said, Buddy's suggestion to get a dirt cheap Windows machine is a good one! for one it may be cheaper or at least close in price as buying a copy of Windows separately.

Last edited:
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
There are 3 mainstream options for Mac users and radio software. I have written an article about this for ScannerMaster, you can view it at https://www.scannermaster.com/Mac_Users_s/575.htm

Basically you can run Windows via BootCamp, which isn't really emulation, it runs Windows directly thru the Mac hardware. This works on any Intel based Mac.

In addition you can run Parallels or Fusion, emulators that run within the Mac environment. Some newer Macs only work with Windows 7, older ones will work with XP versions. I have found that most scanner applications work just fine in any of these solutions, including Butel's ARC products, Pro96Com, Win500 and others.

Has anyone tried running FreeScan with the Mac? Just wondering because I always run to my Windows machine to fix up my 396XT. I have all 3 of the above mentioned programs that I can run on my MacBook Pro. However I never really even gave it a thought to just do it all on my Mac. Just lazy I guess, cause I already have everything already set up using the Windows computer.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I downloaded and am now running FreeScan on my iMac using Parallels and Windows 7Pro64bit. It works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.