BCD996XT Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab5r

I am planning on purchasing a BCD996XT and inquiring about "best" software to obtain.

Yep, I know that is a Ford vs. Chevy question, but I am confused with the 10 options that I have found on the internet. Uniden lists: UniTrunker, Pro96ComP25 and Trunk88. Other lists include 7 other software programs; some free. I am trending toward the ARC-XT software (purchase).

I wonder which is most frequently used by members? It has been many (won't say how long) years that I have been away from scanners, but my local county SO is going digital trunking by the end of the year.

Thanks for help & suggestions.

Jerry AB5R

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Jerry those first 3 programs are trunking analyzer programs, and really aren't intended as programming packages (although if you're really into this stuff, you can use it to help you program). If you are looking to do in-depth analysis on a system, those are the 3 to consider

However, if you are looking for programming/virtual control packages, there are actually only 4 that qualify; BCTool, FreeScan, ProScan and the aforementioned ARC-XT. FreeScan is freeware, and although it doesn't support everything that these scanners do (yet), it's more than enough to get your feet wet with a minimum of green stuff (cash), and it's quite popular if the traffic on the site is any indication. The links for all these modules can be found here...

Uniden DMA Software Support - The RadioReference Wiki

Notice that the last I had heard, Neither BCTool nor BCProgtool was no longer undergoing much in the way of support or development.

You say you've been away from scanning for awhile - to that end, here's a wiki article that links just about everything you're going to need to know about getting started with these DMA radios.

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Your first job, I think, is to go to the Easier to Read website and download the 996XT manual (or order the printed one from Scanner Master).

Finally I think we need to set Uniden straight as to what programs to use when. Obviously that listing is a bit misleading. Can you send me the URL of that page? We can then ask UPMan (or he'll have one of this suboridnates) and see if someone can clean that up...

HTH...Mike

Highpockets

I am planning on purchasing a BCD996XT and inquiring about "best" software to obtain.

Yep, I know that is a Ford vs. Chevy question, but I am confused with the 10 options that I have found on the internet. Uniden lists: UniTrunker, Pro96ComP25 and Trunk88. Other lists include 7 other software programs; some free. I am trending toward the ARC-XT software (purchase).

I wonder which is most frequently used by members? It has been many (won't say how long) years that I have been away from scanners, but my local county SO is going digital trunking by the end of the year.

Thanks for help & suggestions.

Jerry AB5R

Many here use FreeScan. I myself like it the best, user friendly.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Whichever way you decide to go, you will need to spend some time to understand how DMA works. The software - all of them, really - assumes that you understand how to work with systems, sites and groups and how they interact with one another. The Easier to Read manual and the FAQ will help - they are very different from the banked scanners of the past. They're a lot more flexible than fixed banks, but it does come with something of a learning curve

Mike

ab5r

Thanks Mike, that is EXACTLY the information I was seeking.

The URL that listed "Supporting Software" is: BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki at the botton of the long page.

Yes, I have been reading the DMA article and Easy To Read information. I still have time before the local SO goes to trunking (Johnson County, TX)

Thanks again & 73.

Status
Not open for further replies.