Win500 not loading anymore HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhtm350

Ok I went to open Win500 and it goes as far as the small loading box and then it disappears and nothing. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2. I have used for a year with no problems but I havent used it in about a month. It is registered to me. Dont know what happened. I even deleted the folder for the Win500 files and updated to 2.06 and the still the same thing. Maybe a registry entry got deleted or maybe I have some corrupt files or something. Do I have to have something installed for the program to work so I can reinstall it? Anyone know where to look? Help.

jfhtm350

Update:
Tried the program on my friends compuer and it works fine. Downloaded from the scanner with the cable and no problems. I am thinking something has gotten deleted from my computer. Possibly a programming language software corruption of some sorts or a registry entry.

jfhtm350

Perhaps a silly question, but are you running Win500 as an Administrator?

Yes. I am the only user on this computer and I am an admin, but I did also try to right click and run as admin to see if anything would happen and nothining. I even tried a system restore and same thing. Its been awhile since I used the program and I have no idea what may have caused this issue, but it seems like something may be missing somewhere.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes. I am the only user on this computer and I am an admin, but I did also try to right click and run as admin to see if anything would happen and nothining. I even tried a system restore and same thing. Its been awhile since I used the program and I have no idea what may have caused this issue, but it seems like something may be missing somewhere.
It's possible your issue could be due to Windows' "Data Execution Prevention".

See this thread. It was originally about Win96, but the user also could not open Win500, for the same reason. Here's another one along the same line.

jfhtm350

Thanks hiegtx. That was the problem. Looks like there would be something come up and tell you that DEP blocked a program. There was nothing in the event logs either. It just wouldnt load.

I used this command to disable DEP:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff
and restarted and reinstalled the software and actually I renamed the folder different and now its loading.

I do remember trying to remove some items from the DEP exclusion list that were already uninstalled and it wouldnt remove them and that may have been what changed the whole works on it. Dont know.

So now I turned DEP back on with this command:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx OptIn
and restarted and now its coming up with DEP on. Maybe its because I changed the folder name. Who knows, it had to be one of the two and now its working. So THANKS alot for helping me everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.