SyncScan Program & Protocol - Improvement on SlavedScan

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Hi everyone,

Several years ago I created a program called SlavedScan that connected to two Uniden DMA scanners and allowed those scanners to work together to minimize missed transmissions. I've been doing some work on an improvement and have just released my first version of SyncScan, which is a free program that does the same kind of thing but is not limited to two scanners.

SyncScan.png

Each instance of SyncScan is connected to a single scanner. Multiple instances of the program, each connected to a different scanner, will all work together to prevent more than one scanner from stopping on the same frequency at the same time. Because the communication between instances of the program is done via UDP, the multiple instances can be running on different computers on the same LAN, if desired. The program includes a "skip list" like SlavedScan, and entries in the "skip list" are copied to all running instances of the program.

A new "Priority Hold" function has been added. When the "Priority Hold" button is clicked on one of the instances, it will "hold" that scanner and increase its volume, while at the same time reducing the volume of the scanners connected to other instances of the program.

I have only been able to test this with two scanners at a time so far. I'd be interested in feedback from people that have more than two scanners to test with. Right now the program will work with Uniden DMA scanners. I may add support for other scanners as time and resources allow. If other developers are interested in adding support for other scanners, let me know, I'm still considering whether to release this as open source or not.

In addition to releasing the program, I'm also releasing a draft of the UDP protocol that the program uses to communicate between instances (see the bottom of the program page). This protocol is intended to be an open protocol that could be used to facilitate communication among various scanner control and streaming audio programs. Not all of the messages in the protocol draft are currently supported by the SyncScan. I added some things that I thought may be useful for other programs or situations. This protocol is currently in [very] draft format and is open to changes and improvements. My thought is that if other software developers are interested in supporting this protocol with their software, we can work together to "beef up" and improve the protocol.

One potential use is of this protocol is to enable the ability to “synchronize” scanning among multiple scanners and/or programs, as SyncScan itself does. Another potential use is to allow a scanner control program to send alphanumeric tag data to an audio streaming program, thus allowing both local control and remote tag info at the same time using multiple programs.

Please see the program page for more information about the program and the protocol. As usual, any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Andy

Coolant113

So i tried this software out for my BCT15X & BC 996XT running simultaneously in two separate instances and in two separate folders. It works for about 60 seconds and then both instances freeze up and stops working. I have tried everything. Any suggestions?

aaknitt

Feed Provider
So i tried this software out for my BCT15X & BC 996XT running simultaneously in two separate instances and in two separate folders. It works for about 60 seconds and then both instances freeze up and stops working. I have tried everything. Any suggestions?

Included in the folder with the program was another EXE named SyncScan1_debug.exe. Try running that version...it should give you a black "command prompt" type window in addition to the GUI, and if there are any errors it should print them there. Let me know what you find.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.