Arc96, Arc500; I really need someone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptWill

Premium Subscriber
Replacing the Pro-106 multi-state database with current data.

I thought I read that ARC500 could automatically enter different states/ talkgroups into the different folders. The Pro106 comes factory-loaded with a sort of national database, but I think that data is outdated. It's probably too involved, but I'd like to have updated the multi-state database, for when I travel; (mostly through Pa, N.C., parts of Florida). We do drive though and stay in other states along the way, which is why I thought this would be a great way to listen to what's going on. I know the Unidel 436HP is probably the easier scanner to use for traveling, but thought I'd ask for suggestions.

For those of you who saw my original question, I figured out the Arc96 programming problem I had with the Pro-96.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106 database

The V-Scanner Folder database, if the original, is basically useless. As suggested you can build new information with the RR Premium subscription and replace the old V-Scanner information. It will take some time, but I have done that with my Pro 106. The PSR 800, and to a lessor extent the Pro 18 from RS will give you far more flexibility and are a little easier to set up once you understand them. The PSR 800 has 200 V-Scanner folders in addition to 200 regular scan lists.

CaptWill

Premium Subscriber
puzzleriddle, I'd really like to do that. Just not sure if I can do it. Jaspence, did you acually update your Pro 106 V-Scanner database for various states, sort of like it was from the factory? As you can see, I am a premium subscriber , but I was wondering if you'd be willing to share that .bin datafile, maybe via email attachment or ??

Also wanted to ask you whether you prefer working with ARC500 or WIN500? I have the paid version of ARC96 for my Pro-96 scanner, so I pretty much know what to expect with ARC500. I also just downloaded trial version of WIN500, to see if seems better for me. You almost have to take a lot of time to learn both, as it's hard to make a judgement call on one of them if don't know how to use it.

CaptWill

Premium Subscriber
Gommert, thanks for the post. Yes sir, I have spent time reading the manuals for both ARC500 and WIN500, but still have questions. Some folks only need to read a manual, while others learn quicker by watching a demo, followed by Q&A. I am confused about control channels for a multicast statewide trunking system; about when/if I need touse the rebanding feature (Delaware Statewide rebanded earlier in the year); when/why to use other buttons and features.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
In arc500 rr import you get a list of sites, select the site closest to you and then arc500 will import the correct control channels. Also ARC500 will automatically set rebanded parameters for you if a site is rebanded.

Gommert
Butel Software

CaptWill

Premium Subscriber
Gommert, thank yo once again. OK, I'll select the tower site closest to me. I thought I had to import them all, in a statewide system. So if I pick the close one, but then tke the scanner with me as I drive over to the next county, will the scanner still hear the system? I'm thinking that if I don't have a control tower within range, the statewide dispatch will go silent. If I re-program the Pro-106 V-scanner folders for a dozen different states, should I be concerned with where/how many control towers I included for each trunking system I want? Again, *think* I would need them all, or many, as I drive through various states.

Also would like to know if that is what I should be doing, (picking one tower site), with the ARC96 program, as I will also use that scanner while driving (legal, as I am a licensed amateur radio op), so I would like to set it up so it will work as a mobile scanner.

Appreciate the help.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
You can import multiple sites but you are limited to 32 control channels per system (limitation of the scanner). For different states you can use v folders but again you need to program the local sites because the scanner must tune to the control channels to trunk the systems you want to hear.

Same for ARC96, select the local site.

Gommert
Butel Software

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I have a five county area I travel in on a weekly basis & what I did was program the sites in those counties (and sites in other counties near those that I might pick up) into my 500 scanner and that worked well. Had about 20 sites in the system I set up, but broke it down into 2 systems and depending in where I was I listened to those sites. The more sites you program per system, the longer it will take to scan each site. I've found that about 5 or 6 sites work best as far as scan speed & receiving the majority of the transmissions for a statewide system. So I've divided my system even further into four systems, each with 5 or 6 sites and labeled them "(system name) north, south, east, or west" based on my home county. And I have programmed the talk groups for that area to those specific systems and any statewide talk groups (state patrol, etc.) are programmed into all systems. So when I travel to the north I have the "north" system programmed in, et cetera. Just thought I would throw that option out there.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106 V-Scanner

I did a custom set of V-Scanner folders based on the areas I regularly travel. The newer systems such as Michigan would make it very difficult to create the original type of list due to the growth in talk groups numbers and moving from analog. The State of Michigan has over 65,000 radios in it's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.