Scanning software for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If you plan on doing radio programming, your best bet is to stick with Windows. Wine will run many programs, but getting the software to talk to the radio through the USB port is usually not possible. I would suggest a copy of Windows XP or Windows 7 32 bit and a dual boot setup. Use a good anti-virus/anti-malware program with XP and you should be ok if all you use online is Radio Reference. It is not difficult to set up a dual boot system, and you will still have Ubuntu for normal use.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Linux/scanning?

I use Linux 99% of the time. The 1% I don't is when I use Windows7 in a dual boot to run EZSCAN software for my WS1080 and Win96 for my RS Pro96. You could always use the virtual box on Ubuntu, install windows in THAT and make sure you install the plug-in downloads for USB connectivity if you're dead set on having NO Windows on your hard drive. But why go to all that trouble? I did that for 2 years *no windows except in virtual box* and it's just not the same as having Windows on the other half of the drive, it's sluggish and the mouse is slow in the V-box. I'd just dual boot, it's worth it if you have scanners.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
The problem is this.
My windows vista desktop died, so I use a laptop as a Desktop. A compaq CQ-57. One night before I used it as a desktop, I left it by my bed on the floor and stepped on the screen. I got the laptop loaded with Ubuntu. A friend gave me the Recovery CD for windows 7. I can't figure out how to load the windows 7 because the crack in the screen. And I have a COS sticker on the CQ, but I'm afraid to load it and get stuck because the COA has been used.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You still have to install Windows in the virtual box, so it is still on the HD.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
The CQ 57 won't let me reinstall windows 7. The recovery CDs I have won't work, I think I am just going to sell the compaq and a bunch of extra radios I have and put it toward a toughbook. I want to be able to do virtual scanning with a windows based software. The Linux just isn't working for me.

RonnieUSA

The problem is this.
My windows vista desktop died, so I use a laptop as a Desktop. A compaq CQ-57. One night before I used it as a desktop, I left it by my bed on the floor and stepped on the screen. I got the laptop loaded with Ubuntu. A friend gave me the Recovery CD for windows 7. I can't figure out how to load the windows 7 because the crack in the screen. And I have a COS sticker on the CQ, but I'm afraid to load it and get stuck because the COA has been used.
The recovery DVD won't work because it's the wrong OS, You would need a Vista Recovery DVD for your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.