ARC500 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdahl

I am kinda new at this so bear with me. I am using ARC500 and was successful at downloading a few scan lists and imported them into my RS651. It was pretty straight forward. The question I have is, when I start the program, it is empty. Luckily I saved to a file. Do I have to load the files every time I start the program. Also when I load scan list 2, scan list 1 is gone. Not sure what I am missing.

RDGDigital

ARC500 is always empty when I start it. I believe that is just the way it works.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I load scan list 2, scan list 1 is gone". However, I'll hazard a guess. When you upload data to the scanner you're losing the data already on the scanner? If so that's the way it works. When you upload something to the scanner, everything already on the scanner gets overwritten by what you're uploading.

This is why it's important to keep backup files. Personally, I make a new backup every time I make changes to the scanner. Then when I want to make changes, I first open one of the backup files, make my addition/deletions/changes, save to another backup file and then when i have everything the way I want I upload it all to the scanner.

I hope this helps.

captclint

Mentor
IThe question I have is, when I start the program, it is empty. Luckily I saved to a file. Do I have to load the files every time I start the program. Also when I load scan list 2, scan list 1 is gone. Not sure what I am missing.
You need to create and save a profile with what scan lists you want, then. Under Setup, software settings, you can check the auto load profile. If you select the profile you saved, it will always load that on startup.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
I am kinda new at this so bear with me. I am using ARC500 and was successful at downloading a few scan lists and imported them into my RS651. It was pretty straight forward. The question I have is, when I start the program, it is empty. Luckily I saved to a file. Do I have to load the files every time I start the program. Also when I load scan list 2, scan list 1 is gone. Not sure what I am missing.

yes, ARC500 is 'empty' each time it starts. just like MS Word or MS Excel is empty when started you have to load a saved file into ARC500. think of the file as the 'personality' of the radio, a personality made up of scan lists. if you make changes to scanlist 2 you have to upload BOTH scanlist 1 and scanlist 2 to the radio. adding scanlist 3? you upload the entire file consisting of scanlists 1, 2 and 3 to the radio.

I travel to phoenix, az now and then with my Pro-106. I have ARC500 files for both my home area and Phoenix each consisting of multiple scanlists. when in Phoenix I load the Phoenix file and then just turn the various scan lists on and off depending on what I want to listen to.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
You can not upload individual scanlists.
You program objects in ARC500 and the objects are assigned to one or more scanlists. If you want to add/modify then you first load the objects from the scanner in ARC500, then add/modify the data and then upload back to the scanner.

Gommert
Butel Software

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
You can not upload individual scanlists.
You program objects in ARC500 and the objects are assigned to one or more scanlists. If you want to add/modify then you first load the objects from the scanner in ARC500, then add/modify the data and then upload back to the scanner.

Gommert
Butel Software

or load the saved file, make the changes and upload that to the scanner.

cdahl

Arc500 questions

thanks for the quick replies. I guess I got that part right. When I download from RR database, everything seems to go to scan list 1. Do I leave data there and copy to scan list 2 or 3? I tried to download data to scan list 2 and saved but that is another file or profile. I can't load both at the same time. Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
thanks for the quick replies. I guess I got that part right. When I download from RR database, everything seems to go to scan list 1. Do I leave data there and copy to scan list 2 or 3? I tried to download data to scan list 2 and saved but that is another file or profile. I can't load both at the same time. Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

once you have opened your saved file (or downloaded the objects from the radio) simply click on either the CONVENTIONAL or TALKGROUPS tab in the left column. you can assign ANY of the frequencies in the CONVENTIONAL window or talkgroup IDs in the TALKGROUP window to a single or multiple scan lists. see the SCAN LISTS column? double click one and you should see all of the SCAN LISTS pop up. place a checkmark in each scan list you want the frequency or talk group ID to be a part of.

you can name each of the scan lists (police, fire, railroads, etc.) in the GLOBAL SETTINGS area.

cdahl

Again thanks for the help.I will keep on working with this. I know its a learning curve. User manuels are helpfull to get things started but lack a little on details. I really like the idea of programing from the computer where you can see everything on the monitor as opposed to the small display on the scanner where you can only see one freq. (channel) at a time. Radio Reference rocks. Awesome guys, keep up the good work..

Status
Not open for further replies.