Programming a scanner with Windows 8.1 Tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

Is it possible to load and run programming software on a Windows 8.1 tablet? And then send and receive programming information to and from the tablet to the scanner?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Win 8.1 tablet

I have successfully been able to read and create code plugs for my CS700 and my Hytera PD362. Since most 8.1 tablets run 32 bit windows, there is better chance of driver success than with the 64 bit version. Make sure to set up code plug storage on your SD card to save the space on your internal card. I have had some success getting programs to install on my SD card, such as LibreOffice and ccleaner.

safetyobc

I was debating on getting either a HP Stream 7 Windows 8.1 Tablet or the HP Stream 11 laptop. The tablet would save me about $100 but it may be worth just getting the Stream 11 for programming and having a keyboard, etc. I would use it 99.9% for scanners. I have an iMac I use daily and dual boot into Windows 7 currently. But I really don't like having to go back and forth.

I was trying to wait and see if any "cheap" laptops came out of CES. Something comparable to the Stream series.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
I can tell you that I have no problem running and programming radios from my HP Stream 7 tablet. You just need a USB-OTG adapter which you can get anywhere. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this on my tablet. Setup and programmed Kenwood TH-D72 and BCD536HP. Have a 64gb Samsung sd card in it for extra storage.

safetyobc

I can tell you that I have no problem running and programming radios from my HP Stream 7 tablet. You just need a USB-OTG adapter which you can get anywhere. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this on my tablet. Setup and programmed Kenwood TH-D72 and BCD536HP. Have a 64gb Samsung sd card in it for extra storage.

That's awesome! So do you know if the RR import feature work on other software? I saw that you can get that cable thru the Microsoft store for $7. The Stream 7 is currently $79.

Do you know if Pro96Comm runs on it?

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Runs anything that you can use on a regular PC. I have Sentinel loaded up, when I'm on the road, hot spot thru my phone and up date the scanner as if I was at home on my desktop.

safetyobc

Runs anything that you can use on a regular PC. I have Sentinel loaded up, when I'm on the road, hot spot thru my phone and up date the scanner as if I was at home on my desktop.

Bluetooth keyboard connectivity?

Do you find the 7" size to be restricting?

Pedalfar1

I'm using a Winbook TW801. Sentinel and ARC250 working like a dream with my BC296D. The Winbook is one of the best deals going in a small Windows 8.1 tablet. $ 139.00. Full USB 3.0, HDMI out, 2 RAM, 32 storage, Office, IPS Screen.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Win 8.1 on tablet

I am using a Stream 8, and without a keyboard, it is tricky to hit the right command. It does support bluetooth, and on Amazon there is a case with keyboard for the 7 inch model for under $40.00. The 7 inch has the same specs as the 8, but the inch more for the 8 does make it a little easier to use. It should be able to handle RR database with supported scanners. The USB otg cable mentioned allows a standard size usb to connect to the micro usb on the tablet.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Bluetooth keyboard connectivity?

Do you find the 7" size to be restricting?

I have no problem with the size at all of it. Have a Bluetooth keyboard that I can use with it. Easy to fit in my pockets believe it or not. I use it as a portable device. Onscreen keyboard is hood too, with 4 different styles of use. Just know that you can't have it charging up and use the OTG at the same time.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There are OTG cables that have a mini power connection as well as the standard usb port. They can be used for devices that require additional power or to save the tablet battery. Usually they will not charge the tablet, only provide power for the external device.

tumegpc

I am using a Stream 8, and without a keyboard, it is tricky to hit the right command. It does support bluetooth, and on Amazon there is a case with keyboard for the 7 inch model for under $40.00. The 7 inch has the same specs as the 8, but the inch more for the 8 does make it a little easier to use. It should be able to handle RR database with supported scanners. The USB otg cable mentioned allows a standard size usb to connect to the micro usb on the tablet.

I had a HP Stream 8 just a couple months working great with my WS1040 and Win500. I returned the tablet before the holidays hoping to find a better deal on one with a bigger display. Haven't found one yet, I do have to say that the HP Stream 8 is a nice tablet.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Just used my HP Stream 7 to update the firmware in my Kenwood TH-D72A just a few minutes ago, took me all of 15 minutes to download everything, use MCP-4A to read settings from radio, update firmware and reprogram settings back into it. Yes I use it to update my BCD536HP every Monday without fail.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I use a Microsoft Surface Pro, it works great with every Windows radio application I have thrown at it. There are some 64-bit driver issues that are common with any Windows device.

When you shop for a tablet make sure it runs regular Windows, not Windows Mobile. Windows Mobile won't run most radio applications. The Surface line includes the Pro version and the RT, the Pro runs real Windows and the RT runs Mobile.

I looked at the Stream's webpage and it appears that it runs regular Windows but I couldn't confirm that. If it does then that might be a great option considering the prices.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
At Microcenter, they had the WinBook TW801 with (real not RT) Windows 8.1 for $99 today.
I couldn't pass it up. It also removes any objections I ever had to the GRE/RS/Whistler display, thanks to ID Tracker and the other fine remote softwares :)

It's quite adequate for my needs, this will be mounted in the car so a 652 can reside under the seat.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 713

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Windows 8.1 tablet

I am using a HP Stream 8 and it works fine within the limits of a tablet. It is quite good with a keyboard, but on some menus in some software, using touch is difficult. I have found that when you install programs, many will install on the SD card if you change the drive letter from the default C: to D: (or what ever your card may use). You do need to create a Program Files folder on the D: drive. This saves the built in memory for programs that have to be on root or with the windows install. The C: drive may have plenty of space if you use it only for programming. I have music and video files plus other software, so the D: drive has been a great help. Drivers for the various cables are much easier to handle because the tablets run the 32 bit version of Win 8.1.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The main fault with tablets running real Windows seems to be the ability to activate menus and commands with the touchscreen. Since most come with Bluetooth standard I would suggest you keep a BT mouse handy. This makes life a lot easier for those tricky items that fingers won't work with.

When I get my new truck next year I might get one of these cheap tablets like a Stream to stay in the vehicle, keeping a mouse handy for the occasional use. The price is right anyway!

N8IAA

This has to be one of the best threads on RR. Great idea with the scanner mounted out of site and running the software to monitor.
Now, if I could do that with my PSR-800......
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.