Comparing files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
I've got a question for the more computer literate members out there. I'm under the impression data files are a csv configuration, but I could be wrong. I'm trying to compare (on screen if possible) win500 files, arc433 files and files from the rs668. Is there a program of some sort to display these different files in a way such that I can at least compare frequencies in each? Thanks for any ideas.

Scan125

Data files, formats, etc are often specific to any given program, hardware, or combination thereof.

There will generally be two types of files. Text and binary.

Text files, like CSV files will consist of lines of data containing multiple fields where each field is separated from another by a character. Typical this character is a comma, hence CSV or comma separated file. e.g. my name,my address,my Email address,my phone number

Binary data files could be just binary data strings/fields or could be program specific data structures. Simple explanation. You take a picture on your camera. This could be say a Canon/Nikon raw data file which could be converted to JPEG, TIFF, PNG or any number of specific binary data formats.

Your first step for the files you mention is to try and look at then in what ever programs you have. Are they simple text or more complex binary files.

A program freely available that can view most/many files is Irfanview (IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide)

Beyond this then one is in the realms of "file compare" programs. There are many of these available and some work better than others when mixed format content is offered to them.

For the files/formats you have mentioned then I have no knowledge/experience of them. Hopefully some one else will chip in with more file specific information.

Status
Not open for further replies.