BCD536HP remote installation database management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I have a BCD536HP I just swapped into a tower location where a BCD996XT was.

After doing so and getting home I realized I can't really do any database management. I am using proscan to monitor and control and have Teamviewer so I can control the feed pc at the site. I installed Sentinel and had anticipated using that via Teamviewer but I forgot about the SERIAL / MASS STORAGE selection issue.

Are there any workarounds I'm not thinking of? What about disabling the comport and enabling it via Windows device manager? Would that kick it into the selection mode? I'm hesitant to try right now because I really don't want to have to go back to the site again right now.

Ideas?

mancow

Database Admin
Any ideas? I need to be able to upload and download remotely.

Unless I'm missing something obvious here I don't see any way to EVER manage the memory in these things remotely.

Last edited:

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
Correct, this is a major oversight in the design of the 436/536. And if there is a power failure at the remote site somebody has to go there to press a single button to get the scanner working, making these scanners almost useless for standalone remote applications.

Gommert
Butel Software

mancow

Database Admin
It's ridiculous.

Is there anything present on the DB9 when it is in that menu mode waiting for input?

If it could accept keyboard commands through the DB9 I could come up with a cable that has a switch and is remotely controlled via the PC but that would all depend on the radio recognizing and responding to a keyboard command.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
mancow,

I have found it works with the DB9 connected. Also via the wireless connection. Of course outside of a power failure, I don't
see any way to reboot the scanner remotely. I wonder if there is a reboot command in the set?

NZgDyFp.jpg

mancow

Database Admin
Ah ok that's what I was wondering. So, without it here to test I'm going off memory of how things go.

If I have the DB9 connected as you show and also the USB I should be able to toggle between the two and use Sentinel remotely while logged into the PC. Again, trying to remember here... once I am in mass storage and want to get back to serial port that's where things get stuck. Am I following you correctly?

EDIT: OK I just tested with the 436 to refresh my memory. It is in USB Mass Storage mode and there is no way to get out of it without physically removing the cable but the radio still scans the keyboard because I can reset the power by holding the power button.

I guess I could use a 3rd party application that controls a relay that switches power to the radio. Or if the Serial Port . command is seen on the DB9 maybe a small Arduino micro or similar that listens for that and kicks a relay to break power temporarily.

I need to go grab the radio and PC and do some testing here.

I wish Proscan had some general configurable I/O buttons that could be used for stuff like this, antenna switching etc...

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Yes.

And if Gommert or Bob can't figure it out, there may be no clear solution for those of us who use this scanner in a remote location. Even with the USB and DB9 connections plugged in, would need some way to remotely control the power (or maybe the USB connection). Somewhere in the back of my brain, it tells me this may be possible, but not simple. I think your using a relay idea has merit, please let us all know how it works out.

mancow

Database Admin
Yes.

And if Gommert or Bob can't figure it out, there may be no clear solution for those of us who use this scanner in a remote location. Even with the USB and DB9 connections plugged in, would need some way to remotely control the power (or maybe the USB connection). Somewhere in the back of my brain, it tells me this may be possible, but not simple. I think your using a relay idea has merit, please let us all know how it works out.

Maybe a special cable could be offered that has the DB 9 or USB in a block with a power input jack and a power output pigtail. If Proscan could offer a version with a drop down menu option or button that signals the relay or solid state switch in the adapter cable block from a special command over serial that would flash toggle the power.

Voyager

I have found it works with the DB9 connected. Also via the wireless connection. Of course outside of a power failure, I don't
see any way to reboot the scanner remotely. I wonder if there is a reboot command in the set?

You could add a remote internet switch to control the power to the scanner.

I would be surprised if there weren't a reboot command, though.

mancow

Database Admin
You could add a remote internet switch to control the power to the scanner.

I would be surprised if there weren't a reboot command, though.

I was hoping to find a remote reboot command. I too bet there is one.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Maybe a special cable could be offered that has the DB 9 or USB in a block with a power input jack and a power output pigtail. If Proscan could offer a version with a drop down menu option or button that signals the relay or solid state switch in the adapter cable block from a special command over serial that would flash toggle the power.

What will rebooting do? If a USB cable is plugged in, Mass Storage or Serial Port prompt will appear. Rebooting remotely can be done now using the rear or front port.

mancow

Database Admin
If I select mass storage to manage the database via sentinel while remotely logged into the pc how will I switch back to serial mode without a reboot.

mancow

Database Admin
I guess I'll boil it all down to this.

A BCD536HP is at a remote location. The PC is accessible via Teamviewer. The PC has Sentinel and Proscan installed.

How would I best go about updating the database in the radio?

mancow

Database Admin
Ah PRG and EPG

Testing now with the 436 here.

I can get all the keys to work except the .

Sniffing with a serial monitor and the Proscan test window I see Proscan sending KEY,.,P. but when I try to send that from the test window nothing happens. Ideas?

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I went to the site and tried different things. I can use the EPG command to get out of serial mode and get the menu so I can select mass storage but there is no way out of mass storage. The radio doesn't seem to listen to commands while in that mode. If I had a way to get it to reset from mass storage everything would be fine.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I went to the site and tried different things. I can use the EPG command to get out of serial mode and get the menu so I can select mass storage but there is no way out of mass storage. The radio doesn't seem to listen to commands while in that mode. If I had a way to get it to reset from mass storage everything would be fine.

I don't think it's possible.

mancow

Database Admin
I don't think it's possible.

What an staggering design limitation / oversight.

It looks like I will be installing one of these and using it to break the power connection remotely.

1403542615871-P-1789786.jpg

A user configurable I/O button or two in Proscan would be ideal. ;) They run on simple HEX commands. Others could be used to operate relays to switch antennas as well.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
What an staggering design limitation / oversight.

It looks like I will be installing one of these and using it to break the power connection remotely.

1403542615871-P-1789786.jpg

A user configurable I/O button or two in Proscan would be ideal. ;) They run on simple HEX commands. Others could be used to operate relays to switch antennas as well.

Hex commands to what type of interface. Serial port?

Status
Not open for further replies.