ARC500 Software Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker44

Hello I have a Radio Shack Pro 651 scanner and I use ARC500 software to program it with.
I loaded 3 Trunk Systems, a fair size list of Talk Group Systems and a large listing of Convential Frequiencies . Which at this point it covers most of every thing as far as a Talk Groups and Trunk Systems in my area.
So far I seem to spend most of my time adding to the Convential Frequencies which has me looking at that screen all the time when I am working with the Program. When I add to, or take away from the scanner at this time I all ways Save or Re-Save what I did.
If I have the Convential screen up working with it and I Save what I have done , does it also Save or Re-Save all the Talk Groups and the Trunk Systems together that is already programmed in????
TNX-----Tracker44

QDP2012

If I have the Convential screen up working with it and I Save what I have done , does it also Save or Re-Save all the Talk Groups and the Trunk Systems together that is already programmed in????

Yes.

You can test this by entering a "test" talkgroup in one of your trunk systems, and (without saving) change to the conventional screen. You can then enter a "test" conventional frequency. Then save your file to the computer. Then close the software, wait a short time, start the software again, and open/examine the file you just saved. It should have both of the "test" records. If it doesn't, please let us know here.

Hope this helps,

Tracker44

Hello QDP2012 , and TNX for your help.
I entered all this manually . I am still very new to scanning and I am really not all that good with a computer.
I dont have the experties to do what you ask in the post. I do good to just enter the Frequencies and save them. There is a whole about ARC500 that I dont know and more than likely will never know.
I use a Radio Shack PRO651 with the ARC500.
I started off and entered my 3 Trunk Systems and all the simucast Frequencies.
I then entered all my Talk Groups and there ID numbers.
Then I started my Conventional list , all the time trying to be very carefull about what and how I entered it.
Then I Saved it. I am very careful about saving my work, because along the way I messed up and lost some , so that taught me a lesson.
A little different topic in doing all this , I understand what a PL Tone is and how it is used.
The one thing I read alot about here is NAC, this is foreign to me and I dont see a Tag or Drop Down on the ARC500 to enter this information. Is it needed to pick up a certain signal ????
TNX again----Tracker44

Tracker44

Question On NAC

Hello, I am still some what new to alot in scanning.
I use a Radio Shack PRO 651 scanner with ARC500 software. Which this combination seems to work quite well together. Theres a lot about ARC500 that I am not use to yet and may not ever learn it all.
I understand what PL Tones are and how they are used and they are easy to add to a Frequency with ARC500.
What is NAC ???? I see that mentioned alot in post here. Is it necessary to enter into your software or scanner to be able to pick up a signal of a certain Frequency ????
I dont see it in the ARC500 software any where . I dont see any Tab or Drop Down where you could select it in order to activate NAC.
Does the Scanner take of that for you ????
Is it necessary to use it ????
TNX----Tracker44

RonnieUSA

NAC is just a different type of tone for digital signals.

There are RAN's CC's and most likely more that I don't know about.

The above 2 do not work with any scanners made today.

Tracker44

TNX RonnieUSA, do you have to enter it into your scanner some way ??
If so how do you do it with ARC500 ??
TNX again Tracker44

QDP2012

Hello QDP2012 , and TNX for your help.
I entered all this manually . I am still very new to scanning and I am really not all that good with a computer.
I dont have the experties to do what you ask in the post. I do good to just enter the Frequencies and save them. There is a whole about ARC500 that I dont know and more than likely will never know.
I use a Radio Shack PRO651 with the ARC500.
I started off and entered my 3 Trunk Systems and all the simucast Frequencies.
I then entered all my Talk Groups and there ID numbers.
Then I started my Conventional list , all the time trying to be very carefull about what and how I entered it.
Then I Saved it. I am very careful about saving my work, because along the way I messed up and lost some , so that taught me a lesson.
  • Save your work often. When you save, it does save both the Trunked and the Conventional information you have entered.

• This suggestion is certainly optional. But, something you might consider, when saving your file, is to use the "File" > "Save As" feature, and choose a different filename each time you save your file, so that if the current file is messed-up in some way, you will be able to easily go to the previous correct file and start again from that point, and not lose all of the successful effort up to that point.

Some people use a "counter" idea for their filenames, like this:
    "MyScannerFile_001.gr5"
    "MyScannerFile_002.gr5"
    "MyScannerFile_003.gr5"
    etc.​

Another method is to use the "date and time" idea for the filenames,
    where the part of the filename that changes represents the current date and time,
    in the format of year, month, day, hour, minute (yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm) using 24-hr/military time like this:
    "MyScannerFile_2015-06-22_17-15.gt5"
    "MyScannerFile_2015-06-23_09-45.gt5"
    "MyScannerFile_2015-06-24_20-24.gt5"
    etc.​

or this could be done using 12-hr/AM-PM time similar to this
    "MyScannerFile_2015-06-22_05-15p.gt5"
    "MyScannerFile_2015-06-23_09-45a.gt5"
    "MyScannerFile_2015-06-24_08-24p.gt5"
    etc.​

...A little different topic in doing all this , I understand what a PL Tone is and how it is used.
The one thing I read alot about here is NAC, this is foreign to me and I dont see a Tag or Drop Down on the ARC500 to enter this information. Is it needed to pick up a certain signal ????
  • The RR Wiki: NAC page, explains a little more about NAC. It basically acts like a PL but on a P25 frequency/system.

• In ARC500, to set a NAC on a P25 Conventional System, you would do the following:
    • Start ARC500.
    • Open your data file.
    • In the left navigation column, click "Conventional"
    • In the right main window, navigate to the row that contains the frequency for which you want to set a NAC.
    • In that row, double-click the cell that is in the "SQ Mode" column. This will display a "pull-down arrow" that lets you choose from a pick-list.
    • Click the pull-down arrow, and choose "P25". This indicates that that row is a "P25" system.
    • Then, in that same row, double-click in the cell that is in the "SQ Code" column. This will simply display a flashing vertical-line cursor indicating that you can type the NAC code into this cell.
    • Type the NAC code into the cell and tap the "Enter" key on the keyboard.
    • After completing the above steps, you will have successfully assigned a NAC code to a P25 system on the desired row.

Hope this helps,

Tracker44

TNX QDP2012, that is some great information. I have been trying to save any new work I do in the program, but I believe I like you system better than what I have been doing.
Also TNX for the information on the NAC. I will check that out. i am printing out your info as I typing this .
TNX again ----Tracker44

QDP2012

You're certainly welcome. I've learned a lot from the experts on here, too. When we share what we learn, we all have a more enjoyable hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.