Trunking/Conventional Limits (Freescan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd7lmn

Feed Provider
Hello everyone...I am new to DMA Scanners so this may be a newbie questions...I am trying to add a new Trucking System using the import function from RadioRef. I select the sites and the talk groups I want and click the Import button. It will import the Talk groups with no problem but it will select the first site and not import any frequencies. If I try to add them manual it tells me there is not enough memory. I understand that the scanner it's self has a memory limit (I am using a Uniden BCD396XT by the way), which is only at 37% used. I can however add Conventional systems with no problem.

Any help or thoughts would be great

Thanks for your help

marksmith

The 396xt has a 500 element maximum per system, regardless of total memory.

That means a total of 500 objects, being sites, frequencies, talkgroups, and unit id's.

If you have more that 500 of these objects, they won't load into a 396xt.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

kd7lmn

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply, is that a 500 limit for a system or for the entire file? I just started a new file and imported the same trucking system I was trying on my old file and everything worked fine...imported all sites and talk groups. My old file has 16 trunked systems and 8 conventional systems.

Thanks for your help

marksmith

If the system worked in one file, should have worked in the other.

If you got it to work in the second file, you should be able to write it to the radio, then open your original file, delete the bad system, and then read the successful system from the radio to the file.

It apparently was not the 500 item limit in this case, but can't explain why it would work in a new file and not your old..

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

kd7lmn

Feed Provider
Thank you Mark for your replies....As far as you know there is no limit on the number of systems you can add other then the 500 limit per system and the amount of memory on the scanner itself. I guess there is nothing stopping me from uploading the new file to the scanner as long as I do not delete anything from the scanner, then I can download everything from the scanner.

Thanks again for your help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You should really use the 'ERASE' function first - a lot of people forget that the pre-loaded data (which is way out of date by now) does use a certain amount of memory. And although you may not know it, ADD does not do a REPLACE. So if you've tried to do a system several times using ADD, you essentially have several copies of the same system - and that too eats memory.

Mike

kd7lmn

Feed Provider
Okay guys here is what I have done...

Uploaded my Original file. Made sure that everything was erased, after upload at was at 34% full

Then I downloaded the system into a new file. Manually deleted all system in the new file...added the trucking system I was trying to add. It added to the new file just fine. Then I uploaded it to the scanner, checking the option just to add new. It failed to upload, the error was "out of resources".

Here is the thing about this...I can add a Conventional system with no problem, I just run into trouble when I try to add another trucking system.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Rich

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be helpful to know precisely which trunk you are trying to import...the URL would be nice...Mike

kd7lmn

Feed Provider
I am a truck driver and I am trying to setup my scanner to monitor State Police of every State I run in. Which is basically East of I-35. I am importing all the data from Radio Reference the states I have imported are as follows:
AL, GA, MS, LA, TX, SC, NC, VA, KY, IN, OH, MO, OK, IL, IA

It dies when I try to add another Trucking System. I have been trying to Add WI.

The other thing I am doing (Right or wrong) is added all frequencies and not just the primary and secondary frequencies.

I can send the file I am using if it would help.

Thanks

phask

Premium Subscriber
There is a 20 max groups also, Ohio Marcs OSP just barely fits in 1 system - 176 sites .

Ohio will be moving to MARCS-IP - it may or may not fit in 1 system. It's currently at 196 sites. I'd guess it will have a few more talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.