ARC404 v PSREdit 100 for the WS-1025 desktop radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

vernongt

Hello all,
I was given, by my wife, a Whistler WS-1025 Desktop Radio Scanner to be used on my bedside table.
I didn't want to use one of my Pro-163's or Pro-652's as there was way too much radio for just a bedside table model.

Anyway, I purchased Butel ARC-404 programming software [CD version] in order to program this radio via Radio Reference's Database. On the Scanner Master website, It indicated that this was the software to use, even though nowhere on the software does it indicate WS-1025.

After receiving the software and installing it in this laptop [and using the RS 20-047 interface cable], I discovered many channels that would lock up during SCAN [Channels 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 & some in the 130's just to name a few.

I decided to "Initialize" the radio to ensure it was pristine and began to program the radio once more. I used different frequencies in different channels to see if there was a mild possibility of "Birdie Frequencies" but the same problems persisted on those same channels.

Once more I purged [Initialized] the program and then downloaded an app called: PSREdit100 [Demo version] and began to program the radio once more [using the first frequencies]. Interestingly enough, I discovered that this PSREdit-100 software didn't exhibit any of the same problems and though it is a little less User-Friendly. the app worked just fine.

I am confused because I use ARC-300 and ARC-500Pro for all my other scanners without any suggestion of an anomaly, yet this ARC-404 seems to baulk.

Got any suggestions?
I'd be happy to hear them. This WS-1025 is a sweet bedside radio which has 200 channels and also FM Radio bank.

Thanks in advance.
Vernon

mikey60

Something to check. The WS-1025 is similar to the PRO-405 scanner for programming, so if ARC404 has an option to program a PRO-405, try that option.

Mike

vernongt

I think that because it's a whistler WS1025 and not a Radio Shack 404 or 650 [look the same], I will return it to Amazon and then go to Radio Shack or Scanner Master and pay the extra to get a RS Pro-650.

All my other 6 Radio Shack Radios [Pro-163, Pro-164, and Pro-652] work just fine. I don't know, but am wondering if the Whistler is a cheapie version of the same radio?

Cheers,
Vernon

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I would likely expect that would be a mistake. I'm pretty sure Whistler manufactures the Pro-650 for RadioShack. You would likely be paying more to get a "cheapie" version of the same radio since Whistler seems to have shown that they care about their scanner line a whole lot more than RadioShack does.

The fact that software PSREdit100 works while ARC404 doesn't seems to indicate that there's something going on between the software and the unit.

Last edited:

vernongt

Thanks Spitfire8520,
It's amazing what a difference a day makes. Your comments about how Whistler cares more about their scanner line a whole lot more than Radio Shack, proved itself last night.
I received a call from Bryan Hawkins in Texas, Who's a valued customer service manager with the Whistler Group.
We talked for more than a quarter of an hour on programming, radios and other related topics, and I think I not only gained a new friend, but a great contact person with the Whistler Group.

I didn't know that Whistler manufactured radios for Radio Shack, and have done so for many years, and I must admit that until I purchased this WS-1025 desk model, I really wasn't aware of the quality and performance a Whistler gave.

To be honest, I've just been buying the Radio Shack scanners since the Bearcat 250 and mostly because of convenience; having a Radio Shack almost in every city and town. Things have changed since then, but I persisted [mostly out of familiarity] to purchase RS radios via the internet.

Well, now that my eyes have been opened, and I've seen how well the radios can be made by Whistler, I reckon I'll be Whistling Dixie for my upgrades from now on.

Good reply Spitfire8520. Thank you also.

Cheers & Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Vernon

Status
Not open for further replies.