ARCXT: COMM problem using Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoapep

I have a Uniden BCD325P2 and the ARC-AT PRO Software for programming the scanner. Recently I upgraded my home computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When using Windows 7, I had no issues programming the scanner with USB cable using Comm 5. However, after I upgraded to Windows 10, I cannot communicate to the scanner using the same software and comm settings. When I connect the scanner to the computer, the computer recognizes it and the scanner beeps. I am using the USB port (Comm5). Tried autodetect with no luck. I updated the USB driver, no luck. Anyone have or had the same problem? Please respond. Thanks.

04Z1V6

For me and others this is not windows 10, it is the chipset in the programming cable not being windows 10 compatible. If I am wrong someone will be bye to correct me.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Just a guess.... Your COM port might have changed from 5 to another number with the Windows upgrade.. Open "device manager" and note the number of the COM port that's created when you plug in your scanner.

If it has changed, reconfigure your software to point at the correct port.

budevans

Most likely an Unsigned driver issue

I have a Uniden BCD325P2 and the ARC-AT PRO Software for programming the scanner. Recently I upgraded my home computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When using Windows 7, I had no issues programming the scanner with USB cable using Comm 5. However, after I upgraded to Windows 10, I cannot communicate to the scanner using the same software and comm settings. When I connect the scanner to the computer, the computer recognizes it and the scanner beeps. I am using the USB port (Comm5). Tried autodetect with no luck. I updated the USB driver, no luck. Anyone have or had the same problem? Please respond. Thanks.

Starting with Windows 8 Microsoft decided to enforce the disabling of Unsigned drivers. Meaning that any driver that has not been submitted and approved by Microsoft will not be allowed to work for Windows 8 and beyond (which includes Win 10).

But Microsoft does allow a work around.
http://forums.radioreference.com/2429120-post22.html

The following was posted by "edmscan". Originally posted to help a PSR800 user, it works for any scanner (driver). Just sub your driver for the PSR800.

Until there is a better way, without the workaround, here are instructions on how to make things work for the PSR800.

1. Go to Start Menu
2. Hold down Shift key and press Restart under Power menu item.
3. Under Choose an Option .. select 'Troubleshoot'
4. Select 'Advanced Options'
5. Select 'Startup Settings'
Press Restart
Press 7 for Unsigned Drivers.

Once restarted .. login as normal.

6. Go To Device Manager in Control Panel
7. Select Ports (Com + LPT)
8. You should see .. USB Serial Device (ComX) when your PSR800 is connected.

You can now install the driver.

9. Right click on 'Update Driver Software' under that Com Port above.
10. Select "Browse My Computer for Driver Software"

At the bottom, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

11. Highlight "GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device"
12. Click Next
13. You will see "Windows cannot verify the publisher of this driver software"
14. Select "Install this driver software anyways"
15. Click Close

The driver will now be installed as "GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device (ComX)"

You can now use your scanner.

Hope this helps.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PSR800 is a totally different animal, and besides, it's not the scanner the OP is asking about

Mr 04Z is quite correct. We've had numerous reports of exactly this nature, and the response is basically the same. Get a newer cable with the correct drivers. Win10 has become a royal pain in the nether regions because of this problem

Mike

budevans

The PSR800 is a totally different animal, and besides, it's not the scanner the OP is asking about

Mr 04Z is quite correct. We've had numerous reports of exactly this nature, and the response is basically the same. Get a newer cable with the correct drivers. Win10 has become a royal pain in the nether regions because of this problem

Mike

It was worth a shot. The OP's description sounded very similar to what's been happening with Win8 - Win10 for all sorts of devices. The steps posted to allow an unsigned driver to work are generic. Nothing specific with the PSR800. It was just a known work around. Plus I did mention to sub (as in substitute) the required driver.

Sorry to hear the unsigned driver work around won't help.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
The very reason I still have an old 286 with real serial ports that boots to DOS, and XP machines. I am sick and tired of "new and more-better" OS's that prevent the user from doing necessary things by force, because "they" know what is best for you. The same thing applies to new OS's prevented from connecting to WAPs that do not have what MS considers adequate security.

A good radio programming machine can be had on the cheap by dumpster diving or yard sales. That will save you hours of hair pulling.

Grrrrr....

Last edited:

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
The 325P2 does not use a USB1 programming cable so chipset is not an issue.
Also I'm not sure why people are posting about a PSR800 in this thread, this is about a Uniden BCD325P2.

Install and download the latest version of ARC XT from our website. That version is fully Windows 10 compatible and double check in the windows device manager that the 325P2 is recognized as a USB device.

Gommert
Butel Software

jpolich7

Premium Subscriber
Similar problem with BCD996XT USB connect

Under Windows 10, ARC XT detects the scanner when first launched or scanner first powered. However, after using software for a few minutes and doing uplaods/downloads to radio, ARC XT starts reporting that the Com port is in use by another device-- even though the "other device" is ARC XT. Any suggestions? ARC XT 2.0 build 6

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've seen this issue come up several times on computers with different operating systems.

What I suspect is happening is that some software has captured Port X. When ARC is started, it tries to use that "captured" Port and indicates and issue. I just powered down my computer and re-started it. Then ARC worked fine. (The shutdown process releases that captured port, I'm guessing).

N0JLG

Hi,

I have a 396xt and the latest version of windows. I install the arc-xt pro software according to the instructions and cannot find anyplace to choose a usb port. (RS232 only...) I have the uniden cable. The usb to serial driver issues an error message code 10, "device chosen does not exist." Any helpwould be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.