Installing scanner programming software on my Mac using wine bottler

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2AL

Can anyone on here explain to me how to run scanner programming software on my Mac using wine bottler?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of WINE BOTTLE software, and SCANNER software, are you planning to use? Also what type of connection are you planning to use for the cables?

I run a MacBook Pro with CrossOver (wine program) and VMware (uses BootCamp WHILE Mac OS X is operating).

N2AL

I was going to use wine skin and arcXT. winery

My apologies for the delay, Tapatalk did not inform me I had received a reply.

I have not used Wine Skin or arcXT, I have only used CrossOver and VMware. The issue with the wine bottler software was installation related; I was unable to get the software I was install to function at all. I have used CrossOver, but another problem is that sometimes the interfaces with external equipment does not always work properly. So the USB for a program may not work in CrossOver, as was my case.

I have got around that problem by using a virtual machine client named VMware. It runs the BootCamp installation of Windows, in a window on your Mac, so there is no need to shutdown Mac to run Windows. But what makes VMware so great is that all of your interfaces function inside Windows.

If I were you, I would try BootCamp and install the Windows software, then see if it functions in VMware. That is probably the easiest route.

www.vmware.com is the website address for VMware, and www.codeweavers.com is the website address for CrossOver.

I wish I could be of more assistance, and I hope this information helps.

rdxny

Premium Subscriber
I was able to get arc-XT working fine on a Mac with Parallels running..no issues.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have run just about every Windows based scanner software (Arc Products, Sentinel, PSREdit, FreeScan etc.) on my Macs with Parallels with no issues for years. For grins I tried it in BootCamp and it works but since it works great in Parallels there is no reason for me to reboot the computer when I want to run a Windows product.

Parallels isn't free of course, but it has really worked great for me, installs easily and I have had no hardware issues with cables etc. It helps that I have oodles of RAM (32GB on the current iMac) and a fast processor and an SSD drive, but even on my old machine with only 8 GB of ram and a 5400 RPM hard drive it still worked great.

I have never tried any of the Wine solutions however. I assume they are free/cheap but at the expense of difficult installation and configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.