BUTEL Pro 106 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Hi All. This is a question about some common knowledge I should have as well as using the Pro 106 Butel software.

I spent from 12:30 to 4pm yesterday scouring info from RR concerning Northern Illinois Com Ed. Pro 106 software, if creating a new trunked system, requires you to pick at least one site on the left list and one talk group on the right. The reason I researched all this was so I would know what site(s) and talk groups to select. I figured that, as an extra tool, I Could look at the license, which I believe shows the "red circle" of where their radio ops take place at.

Satisfied and with copious notes, I started Butel 106, selected my pre-planned sites and groups, and downloaded to the Pro 106. Then listened. For hours. Not one transmission.

This is not my first time or first system I've tried to program, with all three of my scanners.

This is, basically, a hobby I love but get no real satisfaction from because there are just a few programming issues I do NOT understand. Aside from programming, there are many, many things about how this all works I am ignorant of. I don't expect this knowledge to just fall on my lap one day and I am instantly smart; I have to work for it.

I know that the specific answers I need are just a few inches from my grasp, putting this hobby out of reach for me, with the exception of some luck. It seems the Sentinel software for the 436 is so much user friendly and I understand a lot of that, but not all.

If there is anyone in the Palatine, IL. area that wants to make a few dollars, I would gladly pay for just 2-3 hours to look at my specific questions, which I am confident will allow me to make correct choices with the software, especially BUTEL for the Pro 106 and 996T.

I'm done whining. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks. Greg

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sorry if you wasted a lot of time, Com Edison in Illinois is encrypted so your pro-106 won't help there. I miss the days when they were still on vhf ! I program my 106 and 197 entirely by the keypad, no software needed. :). 73, n9zas

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Commonwealth Edison/Exelon - P25 (Northern IL)

System Name: Commonwealth Edison/Exelon - P25 (Northern IL)
County: 19 counties
System Type: Project 25 Phase I
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated: May 22, 2016, 4:22 pm (Updated Talkgroups (2 Updated
Sorry if you wasted a lot of time, Com Edison in Illinois is encrypted so your pro-106 won't help there. I miss the days when they were still on vhf ! I program my 106 and 197 entirely by the keypad, no software needed. :). 73, n9zas

As I said above, I spent hours researching then downloading.

Where in the hell does anything on RR say that Com Ed is encrypted? If it is there, I would really like to know where, and why I wasted so much time on it ! Thanks.

Above is just some of the info I had available to me.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Well have you been able to copy traffic on any of their talkgroups? No ... well that's because they went to full encryption about 3 years ago if my memory serves me right. Also it IS mentioned in the RR database. They show the old trunking system (which might be what you're looking at) and the NEW trunked system which I WISH I could copy. :( 73, n9zas

greggk

Premium Subscriber

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Apparently I do not know how to research and interpret RR data bases.
It still does not relieve the frustration.

My offer is still open. !!

gewecke

Banned
I think the only traffic I've heard lately from Com Ed have been their tree cutting crews on uhf simplex or Helo traffic doing line inspections. I never understood their need to encrypt their entire network, unless it had something to do with Homeland security. :( 73, n9zas

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I think the only traffic I've heard lately from Com Ed have been their tree cutting crews on uhf simplex or Helo traffic doing line inspections. I never understood their need to encrypt their entire network, unless it had something to do with Homeland security. :( 73, n9zas

Thanks. I suspected the same thing. Taking down our power supply would cause havoc and fear, and the Com.Ed people need to keep an advantage. For that same reason I understand why police are beginning to encrypt as well.

gewecke

Banned
Some of the substations in my county haven't been updated in several years, and I'm guessing the maintenance details on the air could be useful to the wrong individuals. There's one a couple miles from me which supports two 480kv feeds that is somewhat secluded with no cams, or security...just lots of spiders lol. :roll: 73, n9zas

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Offer still good

Hi all. Again, anyone in the Northern Illinois area that can give me 2 hours, just two hours, I would gladly pay.

I just have some software issues, and I cannot really explain well on line.

Today I was trying to program some IEMA and Sky Warn systems into my 106. Using Starcomm21 to search under, i get a list of sites on the left side and a list of talk groups on the right. Picking the talk groups was easy; picking the associated sites on the left was not. So I picked Cook county north and Cook county south simulcast sites. Finished fine tuning the software, downloaded to my 106, and as usual, nothing.

This is all I need help with. How does one know what site to pick in order to match it with the talk groups you want?? The sites contain frequencies, the Talk Groups contain a talk group number and a name.

Can anyone answer this for me?
Thank You. Greg

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi all. Again, anyone in the Northern Illinois area that can give me 2 hours, just two hours, I would gladly pay.

I just have some software issues, and I cannot really explain well on line.

Today I was trying to program some IEMA and Sky Warn systems into my 106. Using Starcomm21 to search under, i get a list of sites on the left side and a list of talk groups on the right. Picking the talk groups was easy; picking the associated sites on the left was not. So I picked Cook county north and Cook county south simulcast sites. Finished fine tuning the software, downloaded to my 106, and as usual, nothing.

This is all I need help with. How does one know what site to pick in order to match it with the talk groups you want?? The sites contain frequencies, the Talk Groups contain a talk group number and a name.

Can anyone answer this for me?
Thank You. Greg

Is this is the system you are referring to, Commonwealth Edison/Exelon - P25 (Northern IL) Trunking System, Northern IL, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies

For picking sites, go to the database page for the system.

Then, once there, click on RR Locations , which is on the line right below the header Title "System Frequencies".

That will take you to a map with the site locations marked. Try zooming in on the map, to your area of interest, and click on the map's markers in your area. You'll get a pop-up with the site name. You would then import that site, or sites, along with talkgroups that appear 'local' to that area (if any; most of them appear to be general in nature, not location specific). Since there may be other unidentified talkgroups (not in the database), you might also want to be sure that you have a wild card in the list as well.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Greg,

The sites and talkgroups are independent, at least programming wise. Picking the most appropriate site is the most important thing. You mentioned the sites are simulcast... that could cause reception problems.

Once you figure out which site you want to try, go ahead and import every talkgroup from the system, and, for good measure, add a wildcard talkgroup. You can always skip, lockout, or remove an unwanted talkgroup later on.

At first, it doesn't matter what talkgroup is playing, because you just want to establish that you can receive the system. If you can receive any of the talkgroups, you should be able to receive most everything over that repeater site, as long as the skywarn groups are affiliated with the site at the time.

I am happy to help. I agree that scanning should be simpler. They should work out of the box. Feel free to email me through Radio Reference.

Justin

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Steve and Justin: Thanks so much for taking time to write. Many people here at RR have helped before, but I just couldn't catch on about marrying a site with a talk group. Thats why I was making so much use of the 436..along with Sentinel it made life much easier.

I have a few conventional systems on my Pro 106 and 996T; as one goes so does the other.

I will print out your replies and get to work; hopefully today but if not today certainly the weekend.

My first Scanner was a Regency Monitoradio / Executive scanner with 8 red lights. It looked really neat in 1972 and worked without any issues.

Thank you again! Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.