Software differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Hi. This is a question of different software programs, so thought this would be best to post here. I did not want to hijack anyone else's thread.

I use Butel software for my 996T and my Pro 106. Both programs link me directly with RR, and I must pick the correct site(s) and department(s). Often, I cannot decide what to pick with what. Two gentleman here helped me with lot with that issue.

I use Sentinel for my 436, and I already downloaded the software for my much anticipated TRX-1. It seems to me that with those programs, I really do not have to worry so much about picking sites and departments and channels, etc. The software does that for me, as they do not connect to the RR base.

I am correct here? I know I run my mouth to much for a simple question, but thats how I must do it. I just wanted to ensure I know what I believe.

Sentinel and Whistler take a lot of guess work out of programing. Am I right here? And, second, even tho I already downloaded the Whistler software, should I remove it and reinstall after the TRX-1 is connected to my computer? I was anxious to look at it.

Thanks for your help. Greg

marksmith

If you are looking for confirmation that ezscan and sentinel have the database inboard and don't connect directly to RR, then you are right. When you update the full database in either, they are getting data from RR, but through uniden and whistler/GRE filters that download data meant for programming the radios, and exclude things like systems without talkgroups, systems in unsupported configurations or types and other stuff on RR.

So in effect you are getting RR data, but not directly from RR like when using Butel software.

With either ezscan or sentinel you do have options for picking specific sites or departments or channels, and are not required to take the whole system, but that is just one choice.

You should not need to reinstall your ezscan software once your new scanner arrives. You just need to install the radio drivers, and it will also install mass storage device drivers for it. The mass storage are for programming and connection for that. The radio driver is needed for firmware updates.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Marksmith...thanks so much for the reply. You confirmed what I hoped you would. Sentinel software seems to work very well for me, and it just makes more sense than my Butel programs. Its good to see that the TRX-1 will probably be a short learning curve as well.

I appreciate your reply. Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.