Freescan: BCD325P2 backlight programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I've been trying to figure out how to get Freescan to program the backlight mode to ON (or even SLOW or FLASH) in my BCD325P2 for conventional channels, but no matter what color or mode I set in the software, the radio just shows OFF, and the backlight doesn't come on.

When I read the radio, any trunked channel with backlight on shows the color as RED, and the light works properly, but this doesn't work for conventionals.

Has anyone else figured out how to do this without having to manually change each conventional channel? Thanks.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The 325 only has one color for the display, amber. Those color settings in FreeScan are for the 396/996 models.

The flash is set under 'Set Alert' for each channel

To set on the scanner
Set Alert This setting controls when and how the scanner alerts you if the channel becomes active.
Scroll to 'Set Alert' and press E/yes.
Scroll to 'Set Alert Light' and press E/yes.
Scroll to Off, On, Slow Blink, or Fast Blink and press E/yes.

Press Menu to return.

In FreeScan the backlight options below are set in 'Setup Scanner Options'.

To set on the scanner
In the 'Settings' menu
Set Backlight to use the backlight press . There are 5 different ways to use the backlight and 3 light intensities.
Scroll to 'Set Backlight' and press E/yes.
At 'Set Mode' press E/yes.
Scroll to 1 of the 5 settings and press E/yes to save and exit.
10 sec - The backlight stays on for 10 seconds after you press .
30 sec - The backlight stays on for 30 seconds after you press .
Squelch - The backlight turns on when the squelch opens then stays on for 5 seconds.
Keypress - The backlight turns on when any key is pressed then stays on for 10 seconds.
Infinite - The backlight turns on when you press then stays on until you press again.
Scroll to 'Set Dimmer' press E/yes.
Scroll to 'High', 'Middle', or 'Low' and press E/yes to save and exit.
Press Menu to return.

Last edited:

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, W8RMH. I may not have been so clear in the way I explained the problem.

I know there is only one color, but when I read the radio, the color is set to RED in Freescan.

In setting the per channel backlight options, I set it to ON. I write to the radio. The backlight does not come on, and when I read the radio, it is showing OFF. I have also tried ON, SLOW, and FAST settings, and all the color options, but none of them seem to write "ON" to the radio.

This problem only appears with conventional channels. This seems to have appeared with the BCD325P2 upgrade. Maybe there is something different about this radio that is causing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.